Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Toires ::: Majmar ~the remixed album part one~ [Hoots Records - 2004]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Toires ::: Majmar ~the remixed album part one~ [Hoots Records - 2004]

KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Jul 1, 2004 18:17
My excitation was huge at the annoucement of the release of Toires' new album. Later more infos revealing the concept of a remixes selection did only raise my feeling of interest in it.. Last but not least the subtitle "The remixed album part one" promising more to come, it is with great eagerness that I was ordering "Majmar" (even too much as I missed the Red Seal release -my most awaited album for AGES- the day after... Which is fixed now, it should come tomorrow).
Let's call again that the majmar is a cooking ustensil, a baked clay pot used to heat and re-heat food in Morocco among other countries.. From Toires himself, after his "albums influenced by water (Oued), sand (Sanäti), he presents us fire : Majmar

Let's give it a listen !

01 - The starting is smooth in an indian ambiance of quiet day ending.. Toires remixes "Lahore Connection" from Prem Joshua, a german-born globetrotter assisted by Mannesh de moOr.. Sitar, bamboO flute stream on a light rolling of tablas, the only instrument building the rhythmics. The whole is soothing and harmonious, we have here a beautiful album opening for this "challenge" of Toires who follows after great names like Karsh Kale, Sean Dinsmore or Niraj Chag in the exercice of remixing Prem Joshua's compositions.

02 - This second remix has "Don't Cry My Love" for seed, from the Ney master (Mercan Dede's amateurs will know about it) Omar Faruk Tekblilek, turkish-born, featuring Steve Shehan. Traditional chants, percussions, string instruments, flutes and fluid rhythms are the ingredients of this "RoOtsy" version from Toires who draws a Near-East seaside landscape. A work that will seduce easily the lovers of the Arabian Travels style.

03 - Destination change for this third exercice, and it is the Irina Mikhailova & Todd Christensen duo who sees one of his compositions re-interpreted by Toires. And like her features on the Kaya Project album, Irina' sweet voice (especially when she's whispering) can't leave oneself indifferent.. And when Toires launches his beat the pleasure then raises exponentialy ! This marriage between Irina's flow and this Hip Hop structure recalling me the great moments of the Beastie Boys does it to me perfectly !! A whole somehow urban, tinted with ethnic subtilities, a patchwork like in the big cities of this world.. Halfcasting is on its way, and that's the way I dream the world !

04 - After the happy and recent purchase of their first album "Everything Is Connected to Nothing But Itself" and waiting for their third release (soon) it is with great curiosity that I was considering this track. Now we have a Toires track which is remixed by ElectroSlide. And this (pretty) well titled "Herb Remix" of "Mustahil" (from Sanati) is at the height of my expectations !! Smartly ponctuated by Bob Marley's irie voice, peaceful to the max while keeping being rich and complex : brass, strings and flutes answer to the sentence of the Unique singer on some launched rhythmics..

05 - After these sweet foretastes with some good Trench Town air, now Toires suggests us a remix of a self-composition featuring Thomas Henry aka Gator Dash. He throws us an obviously Reggae flow, orchestrated par the typical pinched strings, brass in chors, and the heavy bass line.. Line which rocks the belly and brings the boogie to the thighs. Let's don't forget the echos and delays held dear to the Dub selectaz and don't avoid the faster passage for our sisters' ass-shaking !! it does it perfectly !

06 - Hehehehe... Now we're in ! Haha.. For the ones who might have lost their ways, the addicted to the Oued-Sanati combo who could (perhaps) regret this eclectism that characterize until now this album.. And fffffffeeew what a blast ! Digital Mystery Tour strikes hard remixing "Kia" (from Oued) with some rhythmics to smash oneself the nape, combined with world ingredients, Carla Diratz's voice, a pure bass line drive and an heavy and dark wave.. hey it's just oustanding !

07 - A (very) little bit of quiet is welcomed to stomach this.. say hi to the flute... ok ! now we are ready.. ready to groOve smugly on this remix of "Azif Laile" (from Oued) by Namgyal, aka Guillaume Thevenin (Digital Mystery Tour member). Some sexy rhythmics ponctuated by a very short vocoder sample with does it to me a royal way ! In the background are conversing sounds that will please to the morning sounds lovers..

08 - A Wha Wha style opening which delivers us a massive beat combined with a phat bass line drive.. A medley of streaming sounds less or more twisted and studded with reggae chants, examplary built hihats and subtle guitar chords. Mix it, shake it and you have the second self-remix of Gator Dash feat. Toires... Nice !

09 - The roles are reversed in comparison with the "Kia" remix. Now Toires re-works Digital Mystery Tour and he choosed "VoOdoo Love" that I hope to hear original on their next album.. He opens it smartly with a simple but efficient percussions line, a teasing bass line drive and funny vocoder samples.. A short take-off of the bass line drops the beat ! And what a beat !! Hehe.. A goOd phat 4:4 structure that will make all the smoOth dancers as I am highly irie ! Old-school hihats and the remarquable lag with the samples chosen (mysterious languages, funny mouth noises -couldn't find a proper translation sorry-, and twisted brass) achieve in making me love this track hard !

10 - The Irina & Todd remixed by Toires is back again for an escapade to other sides of this ethnico/urban melting-pot. Titling "On the Pillow mix" this re-work of "Mermaid", Toires combines Irina' sweet voice and atmospheric waves with an impressive Jungle beat.. well done ! The lightness of the hihats contrasting perfectly with the massive sub kicks underlining the rhythmics. Surprising and tasty !

10 + 1 - This last remix of "Tali" (from Oued) by Dr Alex Radiobomb is now obviously Drum'n'Bass.. Soothed by flowing voices and dramatised by strange waves, this track pleases me especially because of the quality of the DnB beat.. Later the twisted sound, lightly out of time will enjoy or bother amateurs or sceptics.. A conclusion to "Majmar" which reflects perfectly its eclectic orientation.

That's it folks !! I will conclude by praising the mastering work by the Ultimae crew side.. Brilliant ! Also the artworks by sub88 that one knows trough 3D Vision, and dissociating itself from his usual productions..

A Superb work at every level !!
Bravo everybody !!

And thank you for reading !

"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
Jean

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 1, 2004 23:09
if you thought their first album was great, listen to this one!
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jul 20, 2004 23:20
how is this one standing up to repeated listening?
any other comments...?
Al-x

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jul 22, 2004 00:11
very nice review KakoO for a very nice album
this one is so good ! various style for a nice journey with florian and friends
just have to wait for the part II           ... today is the first day of the rest of your life ...
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jul 24, 2004 12:54
Brett this album is perfect for nice outdoors moments with friends... barbecues and so on ! And I guess some of the tracks will be played a lot along this summer in the events around the globe..

Anybody having the chance to see him live shouldn't miss it.. Definitaly.

Thank you Al-X and yes I'm really curious to see what direction will be followed in the part II           .

BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Aug 13, 2004 23:20
Listening to it now. This album is good, but not super great. Nice beats and good for the dancefloor this year ...
but I don't imagine hearing it much in 4 years time.
peace!
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Aug 15, 2004 14:37
Tell about it after a few more listenings, Brett, take your time to dig it !

Cheerz           .

djsoma

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Aug 17, 2004 15:58
Very beautiful album full of interesting things and variety. I completely fell in love with this from the first listen. So nice to hear cool music that's also beautiful and spiritual.
falseawakeniNg

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 6, 2004 17:39
i liked this album a lot! the very beautiful eastern melodies are really worth listening to.. i'm sure i will still be enjoying it after a long while!
the 1st track is definitely my favorite! there is something really magical about it, in my opinion!

it was also a big surprise for me to hear 2 tracks in in a row, which are in turkish.
Ý can't really be very objective about how it sounds..(because i'm turkish) but i guess it must have a nice flow! especially from Irina's wonderful voice! i'm really amazed by how she can make the song sound so amazing..(i agree:especially when she is whispering!:)

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Toires ::: Majmar ~the remixed album part one~ [Hoots Records - 2004]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance