Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Echoplast Digital, February 2009)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Echoplast Digital, February 2009)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 4, 2009 20:12:59
Artist: Thomas Penton & Steve Prior
Title: Shift Cycle
Label: Echoplast Digital
Format: MP3/WAV
Released: February 2009

Review:

Thomas Penton has been on the top of the progressive house-scene for many years now. I remember him as one of the artists who really got me into tribal/progressive house, and over the years the Miami-based DJ and producer has attracted the attention of many top labels and DJ's, resulting in releases on labels like Baroque, EQ, Perfecto, Loopfreaks, Kumquat, Tribal Vision, Nanobeat, Nervine, Iboga Records, ACDC, euphonic, Garbage and many more, as well as on his own label Electric Candy. In the last few years his sound has gone more and more towards the commercial electro house though, so he's been out of the spotlight for me, and therefore it was quite a surprise to receive this release released on DJ Osho's Echoplast.

01. Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle [126 BPM]
On the titletrack Thomas Penton teams up with the US DJ Steve Prior, and the result is quite good. Gone is the distinct and piercing electro-bassline, and instead there's a more laidback, trendy tech/progressive groove. Add to that some lovely chords and melodies, and you have an uplifting groover suitable for both the club-environment as well as beach-sessions in the sun. Without a doubt the cheesiest of the 4 mixes on this EP, but good nonetheless.

02. Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Khainz Remix) [126 BPM]
The first remix is from the Swiss producer Khainz, who has previously released full on as Freakulizer and Thujon, but in the last couple of years has caused some stir with his techno projects Khainz and Zentrale Randgruppe. On this remix most of the melodic elements from the original are maintained, but now with Khainz' distinct droning techy bassline as the backbone. Good interpretation which gives the original a bit more punch.

03. Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Peter Juergens Remix) [128 BPM]
The next remix is from the German producer Peter Juergens, known also from his soloprojects Peter Gun and Ten Madison as well as his involvement in the Prawler project with Oliver Moldan. His interpretation of "Shift Cycle" is a bit more laidback and groovy than the Khainz-remix, and relying on a groovier, progressive/tech house rhythm as well as toning down the melodic elements a bit.

04. Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Lish Remix) [126 BPM]
Last but not least is a remix from the Israeli progressive trance producers Lish. Like many others they have made a shift towards the more housey sounds, and this release is no exception. We hear some traces of their trance-background in this remix though, and with its D-Nox & Beckers like groove and drive it's perfectly tailored for the outdoor dancefloors.

Bottom line:

Despite being a quite young label Echoplast has been doing great lately and they surely managed to attract some interesting producers for this release. As expected the quality is quite high, but despite some good potential the release never really hits the absolute top marks in terms of originality. As a DJ-release the EP certainly has lots of merit, and I can imagine playing a few of the tracks myself, but I doubt any of the tracks ending up as classics.

Good dancefloor/DJ-release.

Favorites:

2, 3, 4

Verdict:

7/10

Links:

Echoplast website: http://www.echoplast.com
Echoplast Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/echoplast
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : Feb 5, 2009 02:02
Nice release from Echoplast

My Favorites are Peter Juergens Remix & Khainz Remix.

Keep it up Echoplast Crew

Cheers
          "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
Steve00
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Feb 5, 2009 19:17
Super release, love the original and also the remixes, Lish did the best job I guess, guys when you will upload your website, who are your team.... keep doing the good work
d.j k-pax
K-Pax

Started Topics :  57
Posted : Feb 13, 2009 11:09
the original remix is a PERFECT track!!!!!!!

every time i hear it something inside of me says:

'yeah baby"... the remixes are cool specially khaniz
but the original.......pfffffff           K-PAX/EMOTIVE spintwist records
www.spintwist.de
www.myspace.com/eitankpax
SENKA TRIBE
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Feb 15, 2009 21:11
realy good EP! khainz and lish remixes are super!           Believe your soul !
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Feb 17, 2009 21:23
My Hebreview:
http://www.layla.co.il/ContentView/ContentView.aspx?cimid=142045&cid=116

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Thomas Penton & Steve Prior - Shift Cycle (Echoplast Digital, February 2009)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance