Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Space Funghi Project - Elektrik Psylocibe Experience (Sirius Records, 2006)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Space Funghi Project - Elektrik Psylocibe Experience (Sirius Records, 2006)

Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Sep 30, 2006 15:11
Artist: Space Funghi Project
Title: Elektrik Psylocibe Experience
Label: Sirius Records
Catalog: SIRC-001
Released: 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/sir1cd901_b.jpg

Tracklist:
01. Elektric Psylocibe X-P
02. Funky Monkey
03. Moran's Jam
04. The Great Mighty Mushroom
05. Billy Big Mouth
06. Mary Jane In My Mind
07. Multi Color Cow
08. Cosmonaut
09. Space Train
10. Lydian Sky (Bonus Track)
11. Ezze (Bonus Track)

Space funghi project is a band made up fro dr. Panic of the Melovskys and a few other friends of his from Mexico. The music here is nothing like that of the Melovskys though, and dancers seeking slightly different full-on may search elsewhere. I've had this disc for a few moths now, and I must say - at this exact moment it's one of my favourite cd's. The review perhaps is a little overdue, but better late, than never. Let's see why I like it so darn much!

01. Elektrik Psylocibe X-P
From the very beginning of this opening track it seems clear that this album promises alot. A very organic flow of sounds burst towards you, and this opener is actually quit energetic. Keep in min, though that if you're not in the mode for "real" instruments you might as well leave this alone allready at this point. Spicey opening - both dancable and sofa-friendly.

02. Funkey Monkey
We continue on the same track with some seriously funky breaks on "Funky Monkey". The precussion and bass hints at jazzy influences and it doesn't get less enjoyable when the saxophones hit you. Bossanova, jazz, electonics and after a while we're also treated to a dash of some floating psychedelics. Jummy!

03. Moran's Jam
We float into softer lounge-terretory in the beginning of Moran's jam. Nice mellow harmonies blend with all kinds of guitars, vinyl-scratches and other electronic effects. After a while the percussion hit's you, and again this is pretty hectic breakbeat-oriented stuff. Great stuff!

04. The great Mighty Mushroom
The Great mighty Mushroom opens as a pure ambient piece. Atmospheric electronics do the work in its intro before we encounter the saxophone, some percussion and the bass. The track is more relaxed than the first three tracks, but non the less manages to maintain the distinct 'edge'. Being varied from beginning to end with a vast selection of instruments, melodies and moods this is a winner!

05. Billy Big Mouth
By now you should have figured out that this is an album I really, really enjoy. Billy Big Mouth is no exception. The blend of sounds work out really well, and that relaxed yet tough drum'n' bass'ish feel of the entire thing really do it for me. The saxophone-work is very nice, and at a few points something about it reminds me of King Krimsons classic "Starless"(but not really, though). Annyways, thats meant as a compliment, deal with it however you want! To repeat my self - Top notch stuff!

06. Mary Jane In My mind
As the tracktitle might indicate this track shows the Space funghi Project at a slower pace than earlier on the album. Super-relaxed, filled with plenty of that special "space" that makes it smoker-friendly in a floyd'ish kind of way (again, not really, though...). Agin, this is seriously solid stuff.

07. Multicolor Cow
Multicolor Cow moves the mood in a more cinematic direction. A few fuzzy guitars and some percussion is present, and the familiar saxophones are also here. The track pretty much plainly drift forward, and in the middle of this piece we also get some hints of Dr. Panics Psytrance-background.
Again this is a solid track, but it doesn't stand out like the rest and sort of feels like a weak link here. Fair enough, though...

08. Cosmonaut
Allright, space-tourists get ready! We head straight for space with this track with it's massive blend of earthly sound such as the jazzy piano and the more eccentric fuzzings of delightfull electronics and som pretty darn large 'big beats'. The samples are in spanish, but work perfectly well in this setting. Solid!

09. Space Train
Space strain is set up in much the same fashion as "cosmonaut" with a delightfull blend of analouge and digital sounds. At this point I might point I might add that I have one minor gripe with this album, and this late on the disc it become all the more apparent. I'd actually like to hear some more experimentation with vocals here(Allright, you may hurl your stones at me now...). I think it would spice it all up to a higher level. Don't get me wrong though - this is a very nice track, but at this point I'd enjoy it if a few more ingredients were added to the pot. Solid, though!

10. Lydian Sky (Bonus track)
If I'm not mistaking the two last track on this album is what seperates this release from it's japanes twin released late last year. Lydian sky is a rather stressed piece where the electronic elements get to play a key role together with som processed female vocals(hoooray!). It's got more of a melancholic expression than a lot of the other stuff on the album, and I really like it. Nice!

11. Ezze (Bonus Track)
On ezze we get some more experimentation with vocals, this time in the form of rap. It doesn't sound to out of place, even though I've heard that kind of stuff executed better before. This is a laid back piece of trip-hop inspired music bringing at least my though back to the likes of Archive. A pretty nice way to end our little journey!

Final remarks:
To be honest alot of the stuff comming out of our little scene lately has bored me. I'm extremely happy to report that this is an extraordinary exception! The cleverness involved here suprised me, and I'm willing to forgive that a coupple of the tracks sound a little simular. The bonus-tracks also give promise that these guys have more experimental sounds up their sleeve for the future. Strongly recomended if you're in to stuff that crosses the boarders of genre! So basically....just get it!

Buy it here:
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/z7m6q
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/kt6rt
          www.sonic-energy.net

www.psymus.blogspot.com
the spice

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 9, 2006 23:29
I'm always expecting a surprise when i listen to non trance psychedelic artists.. and i must say i'm still waiting. There's something missing in this album.. i don't know but it doesn't feel fully right... IMO that is...

the spice extends life, the spice expands consciousness, the spice is vital to space travel, travel without moving
intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Oct 14, 2006 22:24
well, I love it. Really catchy drum patterns, nice effects and plenty to keep you interested.
I've always been a fan of the french band 'Gong' who I'm sure these guy's are into - nice to see some psy-trance artists actually pulling off something a little different with real musicians.            - - It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice... - -

www.revolvemagazine.co.uk
alaska vibes

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Oct 17, 2006 18:55
Really killer album.

Its got some very psychedelic up-beat vibes to it and incorporates lots of funky and snazzy instruments.

Well, done guys!

Please keep up the good work.
diskonekt
Fat Data

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Oct 18, 2006 13:29
Haven't listened to this but by listening to the samples alone you can tell that this is quality music. Ordered it and can't wait to have it home

cheers!            Peace, Love, Death metal
tokage
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  23
Posted : Oct 19, 2006 13:33
Thank you for reviews and comments everyone.
here is the introducing of the project ,how it is from us Sirius Records(:

*Space Funghi Project is....

Dr. Panic :
Guiters, loops and programing.

Laluchis Drums :
Drums.

Mr. Pink :
Electric Uprightbass.

Saxophone :
Captn. Trubina.

After years of playing toghether and independently in several acid jazz,funk,rock,jazz fusion,drum n' bass and psy-trance projects, the members get toghether to create a experimental musical workshop called the "Space Funghi Project".

The basic idea was to record the sessions of the day, these sessions consists in play improvisations .......sometimes experimenting on drugs, to create sounds of ambient/lounge/and drum n' bass fusioned with psychedelics sounds.

They where 20 recorded live sessions in 15 days, and spent 10 months of recording and trying to fusion the human touch of a band with psychedelic sounds.

The result was 12 tracks of Space Funghi, a tribute to all the jazz/rock players of the 60's, wich for us was one of the best prolific era ,where the main idea was to experiment on sounds with diferent styles of music, to create tone generators, that will give great emotion.

Love from East.

Tokage
http://www.sirius-records.com

Dr. Panic

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jan 22, 2007 08:21
Thanx for all your comments !

Here's a link if you want to hear some of the album trax :

www.myspace.com/spacefunghiproject

Respect.

Dr. Panic.

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Space Funghi Project - Elektrik Psylocibe Experience (Sirius Records, 2006)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance