Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Solar Fields - [Extended] (Ultimae, 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Solar Fields - [Extended] (Ultimae, 2005)

Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Nov 27, 2005 19:22
Artist: Solar fields
Title: [Extended]
Released: October, 2005

Tracklist
1.Air Song (8 am version)
2.No Answer
3.Station 5
4.Winter Sun
5.Combinations
6.A place to think
7.Detection (Far and Extended)

Hmm... How does one attack an album such as this? First of all I need to point out a coupple of things. Now this guy is releasing two albums at the same time. This one(Which is not the "proper" album) and "Leaving home". I have no idea how many records this guy sells, but I wanted to digest his stuff one album at the time - so I decided to get this one first as it's an album limited to only 1000 copies. This means it's a collectors item - so get it while you can!

As allways ultimae delivers quality. The packaging, the smell(!) of the cover(is that a coincidence? does every cover smell like this? You'll know what I'm talking about if it does...) and ofcourse the music.. It's all just marvelous! Over the last few days this album has been playing pretty much non-stop from my stereo, and I actually get rather annoyed and upset if annyone manages to pop in something elese or turn it off. describing this thing track-by-track is quite useless - But If annyone's interested I'll still have a go.... So let's take a dive into this universe and find out why I like it so much!

01: Air Song
When I listen to this album I get the feeling of traveling through space. It's a rather different journey, though, as we begin at the far reaches of the universe - travelling slowly towrds the earth. We begin this journey with "Air song", a very warm experience. It's mostly beatless floating with lots of healing bass. There are hints of piano and other instruments as well. The atmospheres are extremely beautiful and there is a lot of emotion in here. Clocking in at over 16 minutes the track never hurries, but takes it's time while it slowly morphes through space. If this doesn't get you in to that soft, mellow mood - Nothing will.

02: No Answer
We continue drifting through space, still slowly, but steadily approaching earth. There are hints of humanity and life here - a distant female voice. It also feels organic in other ways. Appart from the shifting soundscapes there are a lot of noises bubbeling in the background. The first six minutes of the track have a rather dark feeling, but we step in to the light and accelerate to hyperspped(Thats VERY relative, ofcourse...) when the trippiest breakbeats I've heard in a long time kick in.

03: Station 5
If you're not lost by now there must be something seriously wrong with you. Seek professional help, and do so quickley! "Station 5" is a place to catch your breath and interact with some alien lifeforms. The everchanging, haunting soundscapes are built on top of eachother. Layer upon layer, theres no telling how deep it really goes - I discover new things in here all the time. Again there is a beat present in much of this track that just adds to the intensity and general feeling.

04: Winter Sun
We're now closing in on our solar-system and if we focus really hard we can see our own sun in the distant. It looks cold, though - surrounded by storms of all sorts and the black, empty void of space.
Various sounds enters the scene now and then, adding some content to the story. A meteor sweeps by. A rock crashes in to a planet. You know the rest of the journey will be intense as well, so buckle up!

05: Combinations
"Combinations is again a very long track, just over 16 minutes. It's very clear now that we're approaching familiar territory. A ticking clock makes us aware that time is everpresent. The voices of human beings can also be heard in the distance. The sounds shift all the time and all the various "blips", "blops" and "klicks" gives me the sense of passing througs the atmospheres of the different planets.

06:A Place to Think
Approaching our final destination we land on the moon to observe the blue planet from above. This is a very meditative track, as the title suggests. Very quiet, very stripped down and very beautiful...

07: Detection ( Far and extended)
With this final track, we plant our feet firmly on the ground again. To our suprise we land in the middle of the swedish city Göteborg. We stumble around, pretty amazed that we managed to reach this weird place. All the cars, all the people, the planes flying around over our heads. It all seems so random, but still makes perfect sense, just like this album does.

Final Remarks:
Solar Fields has managed to produce something pretty damn special here. I haven't heard "leaving home" yet, and I think I need some more time with this one before I buy it. If it proves to be as good as this(which judging by other peoples reactions so far it seems to be) I'll be absolutely stunned! I mean - this is quality, it's about as close to perfection as it's possible to come in this genre. In a very short time this album has managed to get a very special place in my heart, and I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be one of those monumental albums for me - one of those very few albums that will stand out and last for years. You shouldn't be without it. Really!

get it here:
Ultimae: http://tinyurl.com/aps6x
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/c3kgz

More reviews, interviews and good vibes: www.sonic-energy.net
Morpheus Music
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Dec 19, 2005 12:10
Morpheus Music Review - [Extended]

STYLE
Sublime ambient intricacies flowing, floating - eminently panoramic. Solar Fields here unveils a series of drone environments embellished with melodic motifs, abundant effects and intriguing peripherals. There are a few beats in places - distant, soft, restful - less than usual for a Solar Fields release - but then that's the whole idea for this CD - 'extended' explorations of atmosphere and tone. Echoing interjections and water effects punctuate the synth washes and clouds, the odd distorted voice sample murmuring within the mists and what sounds to be a cat mewing somewhere far below.

MOOD
Graceful, peaceful, beautiful. There are moments where the expansive sonic surface is smooth and glassy - ever so slightly undulating, places where the sound ascends high into the aural atmosphere - celestial, transporting and there are ominous passages - the sound broken apart by reverberating impacts. For a presentation of space music, Solar Fields delivers an unusually deep, lush and highly detailed sound.

ARTWORK
[Extended] is presented in the usual Ultimae style - generous black borders enclosing a panoramic photomontage. Lush green on the front fading to greys at the rear. Inside imagery shows the artist at work and more of Magnus' assembled photography. Track listings show track times ranging from 05.59 to 16.39.

OVERALL
[Extended] is a limited edition available only through the Ultimae website. Released in conjunction with and as an 'atmospheric extension' of [Leaving Home] - promotional material describes the album as "a space music labyrinth, playing with memories and echoes of climatic and cinematic sounds."
Three pieces were originally presented in 2004 at the Trabekel exhibition (Sandviken - Sweden), encounter between painter Antonio Sognasoldi and Magnus Birgersson. The concept behind the installation was to create a shift of perceptions, as music evolved through the gallery following the public footsteps. This work was the starting key for the other 4 tracks.
All the familiar Solar Fields elements are still here but on [Extended] free rein is given to Magnus' most tranquil and ambient side.

WHO WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM
Solar Fields fans that enjoyed the less structured, more drifting aspects of previous albums will like [Extended]. This album will likely draw a number of ambient listeners that prefer the beatless aspects of Magnus' music.

Cheers
Paul

Original review with samples is here:
http://www.morpheusmusic.co.uk/html/reviews24.htm#extended           MORPHEUS MUSIC
www.morpheusmusic.co.uk
ELECTRONIC MUSIC MALL
http://www.electronicmusicmall.com
lucidpicnic
Lucid Picnic

Started Topics :  132
Posted : Jan 10, 2006 00:37
ultimate journey to the deeper realms of leaving home
great album

dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Jan 17, 2006 07:19
An INSANE ALBUM.

Track 7 Detection (Far and Extended) is probably one of the most atomspherically intense song I have hear in a LONG LONG TIME.

Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Mar 15, 2006 14:50
What's so great about this is that it's kind of an even more chilled version of 'Leaving Home'. The tracks are longer and don't have as many diverse influences. Instead, this is committed solely to ambience and plenty at that. If this album doesn't relax you then nothing probably will. While I think 'Leaving Home' is a better album musicwise, this one can't be beat for chilling. It's just so relaxing and laziness-inducing. I love it. Here's hoping for a lot more of Solar Fields in the future.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Suntrip Records
Suntrip Records

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Mar 16, 2006 18:34
One of my favourite albums of last year! Very deep and organic ambient, perfect as go-to-bed-cd or when reading a book! It creates the ultimate atmosphere for a peaceful relaxing 80 minutes! Thumbs Up!

Joske (Anoebis)
sure_smoke_alot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Mar 17, 2006 16:03
Quote:

On 2005-11-27 19:22, Psychedelic_Mustache As , the smell(!) of the cover(is that a coincidence? does every cover smell like this? You'll know what I'm talking about if it does...)

n i thought i was the only 1

peace           the problem with valuing art is, till u dont understand it, it's worthless but wen u do understand it, it's priceless!!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Solar Fields - [Extended] (Ultimae, 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance