Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shift & Slug - Penguin Rebellion - Nexus Media 2004
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Shift & Slug - Penguin Rebellion - Nexus Media 2004

bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jun 8, 2004 20:31
Penguin Rebellion
Compiled By Shift & Slug
Nexus Media 2004

1 Shift and Slug – Odd Kitty
2 Slug – Penguin Rebellion
3 Broken Toy – Send More Money (shift rmx)
4 Shift – Impervious to Poison rmx
5 Shift and Slug – Apocalypse Cow (shift rmx)
6 Slug – Xtrasensory rmx
7 Slug – Adjust
8 Shift – Digital DNA (slug rmx)
9 Artifakt – Reborn

"neXus meDia will lift you into their Xtrasensory Dimension with this potent psychedelic package. shift and slug have produced a disk of remixes and originals designed specifically for this compilation. they’re showing another side here, this is something for the twilight hours into the morning. a sleeker edge, polished super psy, massive melodies, powerful psychedelics, potent beats, and a whack of groove, its engineered to move dancefloors. the penguin rebellion!"

1. rolling from the start, we are treated with the full assault capabilities of this team. odd kitty or (feline oddity) as it was previously marked, is without a doubt, a giant monster groove. the lead synth takes control early. its morning full on for tweakers! with a nice break that spaces out the whole place, the build is given a ramp to launch from. the drums and growing frequency whistle add up, and before long, we are sent careening through a rapid fire light tunnel, our life as we know it left far behind, absolutely stomping, no reserve! shivers up my spine! just the right amount of grind and melody, and uplifting sound combinations, we are flying higher and higher.

2. driving ahead, an acidy, metallic morning slammer. warm pads come in to breathe an air of emotion, acid spills out the sides, the driving gets intensified by some strong arpeggio, then, more space. somehow this one reaches both sides, both soothing and then instantly right back into the heavy, slamming pumping. the buzzing lead has a nice glitchy touch, and basically a thick and well rounded track.

3. gooey fazing sounds and a strange atmosphere spawns from the silence, we are transported to a far off place.... a preacher says "there is enough power in this room tonight.... its gonna get in your spirit!". "SEND MORE MONEY!" and we are off, a wobbling dark and deep rhythm, punctuated by tight drumming and more goo, nice. the bassline drops a note and we are bouncing in the middle of a funk engine, waves of delay emanating out the sides. the preacher again, and we are sent off and upward, the beat is kickin, and the anthemic taste gets very strong. teasing the crowd, drop in and out, and then, fully IN, the giant synth zooms us with a vengeance. a funny bird sound appears, to alert us to the final movement. the last 2 minutes raises up even higher, lasers begin to fly all around, and the pads form a nice morning atmosphere, as the dark edged leads team up to completely envelop the listener.

4. simply a slam-anthem!! right from the start, the kick has an attitude. a great re-work to a classic track. its most certainly given a sharper edge. spiralling leads, funky bass work, thick FX come together, "everything around me became suddenly, unreal, as if in a dream...." and the build begins, we are lifted, and the familiar tune emerges, only more jumping! great layers of noise and fully ON, this one is sure to rip holes in dancefloors, very complex and never repetitive. and just when you thought you couldnt get any more crazy, this track takes you by the hair and flings you out into space.

5. apocalypse cow was one of my favorites on encroachment. this time its given a boost. it has the same lead melody, but the elements are all different and more intense. relentless is one of the only words i can come up with right now. i can hear the old track right in the middle of this, but somehow its harder, more futuristic. more shivers! it gets bigger and bigger, i cant believe all this sound fits on one cd!

6. a raging update to one of the top tunes from shift's "red line". it chugs along and raises up higher and higher, spinning you in waves of growing launch sounds and total crunch. a full morning assault weapon, this track would work both in the dead of night, or under a blazing sun. providing wave after wave of giant sound. the breakdown serves to make eager ears throb with anticipation, a hint of glitch is nice, and then back into the driving. wild sounds bend around each other, and the massive goa wall of sound looms far above you, coming in from all sides now, the final movement is pure, unbridled power.

7. this slug track is deep and pounding, yet there is space. a nice light melody comes in over the top, but mostly we are in the gooey center of a heavy morning groover. its got squiggle, bounce, bend, pop, zoom and most certainly boom. some nice left right tricks on the last breakdown, and right back into it. solid.

8. another one of shift's album jams gets a reworking, the bassline gets bouncy. some of the trademark grindy sounds get effected and changed... it still has the familiar feeling. and the stabs are fresh. it rolls along nicely and effectively the song has become more epic, and dare i say, morning? the strange little melody in the breakdown has been replaced by more effected sounds. the final movement comes in heavy, fully jamming. the place is jumping, the walls are shaking, its defining the in-your-face full-on south african morning style! watch out.

9. artifakt provides another strange anthem of grind and epic keys, oooh the tension! odd squeeks and sounds. a rasta dude comes back in to warn us some, then the distorted lead takes over and we are thrust into a funky, dark, mysterious atmosphere thats metallic and yet, somehow, groovy? one of the better artifakt tracks lately.

Overall: a dancefloor battle weapon not to be denyed. the remixes give new life to already great tracks, and the new tracks come across fresh and heavy, full-on with a slick style and well assembled.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Dj Chris Planet
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Jun 9, 2004 11:01
What a great review,Chris sent me a copy last week and i must admit this is one beauty of a CD, a must for anyone's collection. Nice work guys           Let us take you on a journey, that will take you from are small world stage and orbit you beyond our fragile planet......
Dragongurl
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jun 9, 2004 11:12
Oh wow!! Another wonderful CD by our local talent.....well done guys!!

Is this available on psyshop or saikosounds? Want to listen to the samples.           :: Life can be as bitter as dragon tears
But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet
depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste ::
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jun 9, 2004 17:13
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/nex/nex1cd001.html

http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=NEXUSCD01

there ya go!           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Frudo

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 9, 2004 19:54
very killer album i think u no wain this album relased
tanks dude

P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jun 9, 2004 21:14
its in my case for sure!
top marks for this one.           
www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
Memory Loss
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Jun 10, 2004 22:13
Waiting To My Copy..
Look Like Storng Cd.           Skate 0R Die
shift
Shift

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Jun 14, 2004 10:26
thanks mr monkey... thats awesome
gaspard
Yab Yum

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Jun 14, 2004 12:37
yeah this is a great release for sure!
my favourites are
broken toy - send more money rmx
shift&slug - apocalypse cow rmx
booooooooom           Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Aug 30, 2004 18:50
Not too long ago I posted in the general forum looking for THE essential South African CD... sometimes when styles across albums are sounding too similar I just like to pick out the best example and go with it, and this particular release is the one I settled on for my South African dose. Very clear and cohesive with several highlights - Xtrasensory RMX is pure power, Reborn is fat dirty fun stuff, and several others sound like polished dancefloor bombs for the right moments... and since it's on sale at Saiko the choice was made even easier. Thumbs up for this release, it really shows what those South Africans are capable of...
liesls

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Sep 13, 2004 10:49
Really wicked compilation!!!

Can't even choose favourite tracks on this comp as it's all good!

Well done & looking fwd to some more releases by Nexus Media
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Sep 16, 2004 16:48
Pretty good compilation... but one track stands out from the rest... Artifakt - Reborn!!! Best of Artifakt I've heard so far... keep it coming SA           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Oct 6, 2004 11:34
AHA! So THAT'S why Pingu sudenly dissapeared for psynews... he was up releasing a new compilation behind our backs!!

Seriously speaking though, just who the hell are Shift and Slug? Your guess is a good as mine but I can tell you that they make some killer full-on!! Yes it still is full-on but has a much more dynamic progression than your usual full-on and it has nice atmospheres.
I won't be reviewing this track by track as almost all tracks sound alike: rolling bassline with crazy sounds and interesting developments.

Xtrasensory Rmx is a fucken KILLER!!!! oh man those melodies!!! oh God!!!! They hit you around 1:15 (yes, that early) and keep you stunned till the end. A definate must-have!! If you don't listen to this track you're missing something big!!

The last track is more down-tempo, sounds like some late 80s industrial crossed-over with some electro. Intresesting stuff

Conclusion It's not your usual full-on so if you want something new, go for this. However it DOES have the trademark rolling bassline so if you've heard one rolling bassline too many then you're probably gonna puke. Still, I advise giving this a try at least before dissing it. Very dancefloor friendly... 7/10
shift
Shift

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Oct 7, 2004 18:26
hey there,,, thanks for the cool words guys,,,

if you liked the slug tunes then check out here

http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/46047/forum/41

his album is out soon!!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shift & Slug - Penguin Rebellion - Nexus Media 2004

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance