Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shakta – Feed The Flame (Dragonfly, March 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Shakta – Feed The Flame (Dragonfly, March 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jul 26, 2004 16:47
Artist: Shakta
Title: Feed The Flame
Label: Dragonfly
Format: 2xCD (Jewelcase)
Released: March 2004
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/dra2cd071_b.jpg

CD1:
01. Absorbed
02. Feed The Flame
03. Wax On
04. Paranoid Again
05. Fire
06. Underground
07. Clip The Apex
08. Akira Lives!
09. Wax Off (130 Deep Mix)
10. Are We Learning Yet?

CD2:
01. Hopefiend – Subterfuge (Shakta Remix)
02. A.M.P. – Forever Now (Shakta Remix)
03. Tetra*Clash – Amtheremin (Shakta Remix)
04. Bill & Seb – Into The Light
05. In-R-Voice & Shakta – Present Moment
06. Digitalis – Loup Garou
07. Digitalis – Falling Down
08. Digitalis – Yab-yum Soul
09. Digitalis – Figments… (Chilled Mix)

Review:

One of the biggest pioneers in psychedelic trance, Seb Taylor (of Shakta, Angel Tears, Kaya Project and Digitalis fame) released his 4th Shakta album this spring, but strangely enough it’s been somewhat overlooked. His last album “Out Of Sight” released in 2001 was a dark progressive release, somewhere between house and trance, and with a twist of breaks – but unfortunately also a release that many of his old fans from the goatrance days didn’t like.

The new double CD album is also dark and grinding, but with a clubbier and dance friendlier feel: Especially on the first CD, while the second CD contains some freestyle tracks – most of them previously released on vinyl, but now hard to get.

With 19 tracks, I’ll just make a quick run-through of the tracks on the 2CDs:

CD1:

The first CD is kicked off with “Absorbed”, an extremely deep and groovy track, with some well-known elements from the “Out Of Sight” album - Definitely no cheese here. “Feed The Flame” has some very haunting vocals, and “Wax On” is a delightful groovy bouncer. After that the CD takes a more trancy twist with “Paranoid Again”, which is lifted by one of the best samples so far this year (sampled from “The Cube”).

“Fire” is a nice and groovy, yet quite pale track, while “Underground”, with the metallic percussion, perhaps is the most dance floor friendly track to be found in the release. “Clip The Apex” contains some beautiful pads, and the uplifting elements makes it one of my personal favourites on the CD. The 130 Deep Mix of “Wax Off” was previously featured on “Kamaflage 3”, and it transforms “Wax On” into a dark, tribal nighttime house track, to finish of the mayhem before the chilled out “Are We Learning Yet?” – Digitalis style.

CD2:

Shaktas remix of Hopefiends “Subterfuge” is quite similar to the style on CD1, but is nevertheless really well made and catchy. The remix of A.M.P’s (with Martin Glover/Youth of Killing Joke and Zodiac Youth fame as one member) “Forever Now” is a delightful morning track, and while released in 2001, it doesn’t sound dated at all, and would fit into many progressive morning sets. The remix of Tetra*Clash “Amtheremin” is more of a stomper, and I’m sure it works wonders on the floor.

Track 4 is my personal highlight of CD2: The wonderful, epic morning tune “Into The Light” – a collaboration between Bill Halsey (Cosmosis, Laughing Buddha) and Seb from 2001. The next track is another work from 2001, but yet totally different. “Present Moment” is made with In-R-Voice, and is definitely more on the psychedelic side, with loads of acid sounds and twisted effects.

The last 4 tracks are all Digitalis creations, so dark breaks are on the menu, though the 2 last tracks are more on the chilled side. A nice end to the 2CD album, that shows just how great a producer Seb is, and how much diversity you can find in his works.

Bottom line:

A very solid release from Shakta, and with no less than 19 tracks it should be more than worth the money. Perhaps I would have preferred some more variation in CD1, but CD2 more than makes up for that: CD1 is deep and dark, tribal progressive house, and with very few weak tracks, while the second CD is more on the freestyle side – ranging from dark progressive house, to progressive morning vibes, breaks and ambient.

I highly recommend this one.

Favourites:

CD1: 1, 3, 6 (!!), 7 (!!), 8, 9
CD2: 1, 2 (!!), 4 (!!)

Verdict:

9/10 – Don’t miss this album!

Link:
Dragonfly: http://www.dragonflyrecords.com/          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jul 26, 2004 18:53
wooow !!!
there was no review for this amazing album yet ??

well, this album is for me one of the best i heard this year, very intelligent & personnal music.. rich of different kind of deep atmospheres
the production is very good and the album mixes many many styles
highly recommended !!!!
humph
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  44
Posted : Jul 27, 2004 12:33
thanks for the kind words. this album seems to have divided people. i kinda think its a deep, mature album. definately not one for for the kids, but one that grows on you over time...
Miss Tick
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Jul 28, 2004 12:23
Well, for me im reaaly surprised by this album, because I LIKE SO MUCH this kind of progressive !!!!!

Shakta follow a very good new direction, new style, for us , and just one thing for that : THANX YOU !!!!

My fav, is Clip The Apex and Akira lives ... they track rock the floor !!!! fat bass lines, good atmospheres, I LOVE !!!           www.spintwist.de
www.myspace.com/djmisstick
Ben P

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Sep 11, 2004 20:44
One of my favorite albums!
one bad thing is that many tracks from this album was all ready releasd.
but its a great album!
very original groovy and deep!
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Sep 11, 2004 20:54
Quote:

On 2004-09-11 20:44, Ben P wrote:
One of my favorite albums!
one bad thing is that many tracks from this album was all ready releasd.
but its a great album!
very original groovy and deep!

Only the tracks on CD2 where previosly released as far as I know. Apart from the 130 Deep Mix of "Wax Off" (Kamaflage 3).           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Satyr
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Sep 13, 2004 00:36
nice one Prof'!
for sure a musthave from the proggy sexxion.
mister T still doing his thang!

and indeed some re:releases here
but they are still ontoppoffit,
like the final track
.. a classic from the Matsuri era.

:: bom tsjak ::           
www.satyrsatellites.com
www.soundcloud.com/satyr
www.soundcloud.com/satyr-barbarossa
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Shakta – Feed The Flame (Dragonfly, March 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance