Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Sensum - Noctural Transmissions (ZMA Records, June 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Sensum - Noctural Transmissions (ZMA Records, June 2005)

aDaMT
Meltdown

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jun 30, 2005 08:49
Artist: SENSUM
Title: Nocturnal Transmissions
Label: ZMA Records
Format: CD
Cat No.: ZMACD027
Released: June, 2005
Release Info: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4876
Cover: http://www.australiens.net/images/features/51.jpg
Interview: http://www.australiens.net/features/51/

Track Listing
01. Going Mad
02. Ghost Logic
03. Rollersmokers
04. Lunar Activity
05. Afrika
06. Tri-polar
07. The Visionary
08. Ear-drumming
09. Pokerface

Review

This is the long awaited debut album release from Aussie artist Russ Newman aka SENSUM (aka Nokturnum). Having numerous releases on V/A compilations including ZMA's "A Day After..." and "Battle Royal" and Nervine Record's "Stimulus CD", this album has followed through with some absolutely top quality driving progressive from this Sydney based artist.

Having been a fan of Sensum music up until this release, in particular with "Lets Turn On" (A Day After...) being amongst my favourite tracks, Nocturnal Transmissions on ZMA has come through with the goods. This is the ideal music to grab attention from a dancefloor with intelligent progressive with a determined, inspired sound. His music is top quality, focused and energetic with refined production, crisp, tight, snappy & intense percussion, a constant driving groove, and just the right amount of twisting synths, stabs, melodies & arpegiators.

This album is is the perfect cross over between intellgient driving night time progressive and sunrise/day time uplifting sets. Many people (probably including Russ himself) class it as night time sound but I am convinced it works around the clock - I have seen it played night and day, both indoor and out, every time noticing the energy levels raise a notch on the dancefloor.

Having also seen Sensum's live sets, I think this is a world class artist that we are going to hear a lot more from, and I very much look forward to future releases.

The Tracks

1. Going Mad (141bpm)
A nice opening to the album - the intro dropping into the first beats of the album perfectuly sums up Sensum's sound in my eyes - a no nonsense build up into an energetic kick and sound that demands attention with attitude. An almost haunted, minor background feel to this track pushed along with stompy rhythms that layer up nicely and build throughout. Nice use background vocals that merge in seemlessly with the track.

2. Ghost Logic (139bpm)
A cruisy, bouncey track, riding the night time Sensum progressive wave, this track winds through the night leading the listener through a journey of progressive sound. Very nice delayed lead stabs as well as cleverly crafted percussive grooves create good movement.

3. Rollersmokers (142bpm)
With a lower bassline, 'Rollersmokers' gets down to business. A minor feel & constant energy with a very nice subtle melodic riff threaded through the track takes it on a journey.

4. Lunar Activity (144bpm)
Picking up the pace here, this is the more driving side of Sensum's sound, the ideal peak in pace and energy of a night time progressive set. A running bassline and faster percussion, opens up towards the end letting in a bit of light but not for a second holding back on the driving energy & pace

5. Afrika (138bpm)
One of my favourites on the album, this track with it's "It Began in Afrika" sample is gold. One of the things I love about this album are the subtly different feels coming through but all with the very obvious Sensum interpretation. "Afrika" highlights this - with a tribal feel, syncopated percussion, and 'outback' desert feel pads, this track puts across a very outdoors feel. This track brings back the pace from the last track and get straight into the groove. This will bring knowing smiles to the dancefloor with the extra hint of groove but the always rock steady Sensum rhythm

6. Tri-polar (135bpm)
Following the flow of the album this track slows things down again, and relies on the hypnotic, syncopated driving groove to create energy in this track. A snappy snare and punchy feel to the percussion with some VERY nice open progressive sweeps, pads and delayed stabs drive this home. The break down at 5:52 which twists around into a SOLID drop in at 6:38 is a winner in my books, only to step up in percussion a notch again a few bars later - this is the type of sound that will sweep smiles across a festival dancefloor

7. The Visionary (141bpm)
Picking the pace up again! Elements of this track remind me of previous Sensum releases with that unique driving groove and percussion that are ideal for intelligent musical journeys. Opens up towards the end with some nice epic strings and 'feel good' synthy pads & stabs.

8. Eardrum (142bpm)
With a rolling bassline, this track has style. More tweaked acidy sounds decorate the soundscape of this track with this being the perfect example of the hybrid night/day sound I mentioned earlier. It's almost a night foundation, with 'feel good', uplifting riffs & elements. A great combination.

9. Pokerface (138bpm)
Finishes off the album with style, just as it would a final track of a party. An open, epic synthy track with a no-nonsense trademark Sensum kick & bassline. Some beautiful vocal, strings & pads create a very special sound perfectly suited to ending a long journey with some magic mysterious, and yet epic sounds

Favourite Tracks: 1, 2, 5, 8
          http://www.australiens.net - The Australian PsyTrance Network.
http://www.meltdownaudio.com - Meltdown Web Site.
http://myspace.com/meltdownproducer - Meltdown MySpace
NextWorld
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 30, 2005 16:43
Just gave it a short listen til now, but seems like very solid proggy stuff! Ill give it another one this evening...
Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Jun 30, 2005 17:17
Yes, it's a great release!

Progressive stuff always with a powerfull edge. Some tracks even have an oldschool feel, like #2 Ghost Logic, with great spiraling fx, very trippy and psychedelic. A great buy for all those who are fed up with most of the music being released nowadays.

Favourites: #2, #3, #5, #8

Congats
Nocturnum
Sensum

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 1, 2005 07:16
thanx fellas - hope future releases are as well recieved as the album has been thus far
cheers - Russ
sensifeel
sensifeel

Started Topics :  44
Posted : Jul 1, 2005 13:44
Great release Dude.!!..i listened the sample.;and it looks really promising..people who like trance (all kinds), i'm sur you will love it!

good luck for this one...
djdrenan
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Jul 7, 2005 05:55
hi

nice production
i like the vibes
very promising artist

yeehah
Dj Drenan

http://cyklones.online.fr

Shithit89
Alfredo Garcia

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Jul 10, 2005 20:22
Heyho, Russ!

Thx for these nice tunes you produced to get me from the dark into a shiny shiny day...I like tracks no. 1,3,5 and 9...these are my personal favourites...

Great Album you did here!

Hope to see you @ the earthdance in september...

Greetings, Ulf!

P.S.: Thx for the remix!
Concept
Concept

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 13, 2005 02:30
Wazzup Russ !!!

Nice one bro the album sound very good, pure undergroung prog minimal mixture !!!
Love the vibes, hope next tiem we meet it will be in the studio to make vs my friend !!!

Keep going, All the best for ya !!!

Bom Shanka !!!
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Jul 19, 2005 06:16
I really liked this album. Deifnetly recommended, SOme serious progressive beats           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jul 19, 2005 18:59
Good solid album!           Am i the only one who believes in solipsism?
Nocturnum
Sensum

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 26, 2005 05:09
Ulf - not a problem mate, hope u enjoy it
Arno - thanx for the wonderfull description, looking very forward to the vs project, and also ur full-on rmx !
and thanx to all the others who have taken time out to write something nice - appreciated for sure
i'll keep it coming for ya
boom ! Russ
uvego
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Nov 22, 2005 02:16
Quality progressive album!           _____________________

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Nov 22, 2005 15:28
Nice enough, but it could do with some more variation between tracks. I'd recommend people to definately have a good listen to samples before they start buying this.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Apr 19, 2006 16:41
Listening to it again now and it's a corker. There may be similarity between the track, but this is absolutely great nighttime music and no mistake. I'm talking massive, deep tracks with oodles of atmosphere. Great stuff.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
NextWorld
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Dec 22, 2006 09:57
Listening to it again, still a great release

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Sensum - Noctural Transmissions (ZMA Records, June 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance