Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Radical Distortion - Regenesis (Unicorn Music, 2006)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Radical Distortion - Regenesis (Unicorn Music, 2006)

Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jul 7, 2006 14:33
Artist: Radical Distortion
Title: Regenesis
Label: Unicorn Music
Catalog: UMCD010
Format: CD
Released: 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/umc1cd010_b.jpg

Tracklist:

01. Regenesis
02. The Battery
03. Message (vs. Mendark)
04. Mission to the Moon
05. Feeling of Power
06. L.F.T.A
07. Traveller (vs. Mendark)
08. Universe (feat. Radical Project)
09. Alien Nation (vs. Visible Noise)
10. India (Side Liner Remix)

Radical Distortion Is out with his debut album on greek label Unicorn Music. My past encounters with the duo has been rather plesant and I ceirtanly had some expectations before digging into what I expected to be yet another attempt to get som wind in under the old Goa-banner... Let's check it out!

01. Regenesis
As expected the album opens with an Old-School sounding Goa track the way they were made back in the old days. The round Bassdrum, the uplifting, shifting and multilayered melodies as well as the hectic and frenetic feeling that we used to enjoy so much. It's a lovely track indeed - it's nice to still hear that a few artists out there focus on the good ol' melody...

02: The Battery
We continue this album with more of the same. The track opens with som mystical melodies combined with a playfull bassline. The melodies all work well, and there is also a sense of variation, even though alot of the synths, sounds and effects used sounds rather simular. There is also a clear sense of building, and the track seems to grow in intensity from beginning to end with the occational break in between. Solid - the battery is fully charged!!

03: Message (vs. Mendark)
"Message" is made together with fellow melodic trancer Mendark. The two did the first installment of the "purple energy" series on the same label a while ago so they should be no strangers to eascother.... This track opens in much the same way as the two previous tracks did, with mystical and atmospheric melodies. When the bass kicks in however this shifts perhaps a tad more into the full-on'ish direction. Don't worry though, the melody-work and the general "feel" of the track is still largely rooted in Goa. And as the track progresses the full-on elements more or less disappears. Another nice track!

04: Mission to the Moon
This track opens in what might be the coolest intro of the album. Some alien melodies fuse with some marvelous ambience to create euphoria in the mind of an old hippie such as my self. Unfortunately the track doesn't really deliver what the intro promises. Where the tracks som far has seemed to have a clear direction this to me feels more random - less coherent. Even so, there are moments here that provide great joy and it's ceirtanly not a bad track, just less great than the three previous.

05: Feeling of Power
With this track the mood shifts somewhat. Where the melodies so far has been of the spaced out and mysterious sort we now shift gear and end up a tad more on the dark side. The bass also has a more 'modern' feel to it - more stomp-stomp-engine-stuff and less playfull. Even so, this isn't really dark in the sense that the term is often used theese days. It's just that the Goa part is toned down where I'd like to see it kept up.

06: L.T.F.A
A long metallic sweep kicks off this track which is perhaps the track on the album is dislike the most. I'd describe it a melodic morning full-on. It's not bad, not at all - infact it sounds better than most music operating within this terretory. The problem however is that it doesn't really seem to fit very well in here and it to som degree breaks the great feeling of this album.

07: Traveller (vs. Enerkaz)
To my disappointment the album continues on the path it started with "L.T.F.A" on "Traveller". This track is made together with someone called Enerkaz. Unfortunately I can't provide any more info on the fellow. On the bright side this track has a tad more feeling and groove than the last one, but again - this is essentially full-on and allthogh not being awfull it's not very interesting either.

08: Universe (Feat. Radical Project)
"Universe" follow somewhat in the footsteps of the last two tracks. Luckilly for us, though this is excecuted much better, and even though I think it's safe to say we still lurk in full-on waters, this harmonizes much better with the albums obvious flirtations with goa-trance, as it's melodic in "that" way. I recover somewhat from the two previous tracks and regain hope in the albums finishing tracks....

09: Alien Nation (vs. Visible Noise)
Alas, It was not to be..."Alien nation"turns out not to be very alien at all. Infact it turns out to be some sort of generic funn-on mush that I'd excpect to find on the more comercially oriented tranceefloors around the world rather than on alien worlds. Not for me - Next!

10: India (Side liner Rmx)
Side liner released a rather impressive debut earlier this year, and here he remixes the for me unfamiliar track "India". After a few dissapointing travks towards the end of this album we're served a nice pot of electronic chillage here. The track has tons of space, lush melodies and a slow but hypnotic groove that will make you forget about all that full-on you just forced yourself through. Nice way to finish the album!

Final Remarks:
All in all this turned out to be a 50/50 thing for me. I really enjoyed the beginning og this album, and I believe that if Radical distortion had made an album with as great tracks as the first three on this installment it could have had the potential of being the best goa-album since Khetzal, or perhaps even since Ra's "to serious". Unfortunately it was not to be. My advice is to listen to the first five tracks and the skip to the last one.

Tomas (Psychedelic Mustache)

Buy it here:
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/r9dtb
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/ovrat
          www.sonic-energy.net

www.psymus.blogspot.com
aliened

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jul 11, 2006 17:32
lookin for any of goa /psy albums /comps frm Mendarks Unicorn Music , my fav kind of upliftin trance , always full of happyness n sunshine as contraverse of tones of dark stuff wich is too many nowdays           " And as the gods have given us , so we return the gift " - Bill Cosmosis " Gift of the Gods "
" That's right - otherworld lifeforms . A fucking alien ! "
'Strange word like 'psychedelic,' you know - drugs, the whole bit, you know, 'fre
Gumbo
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Feb 6, 2007 18:07
great review dude!
i agree with you about "it could have had the potential of being the best goa-album since Khetzal"
how did they manage to ruin the cd with the full on tracks after such a briliant first 5 tracks..?!?!?

Follow u'r Spirit without hesitation.
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Feb 8, 2007 16:23
good release pure essence of melody           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
headbot
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  141
Posted : Feb 8, 2007 16:59
Thanks for your feedback music mates,

every kind of feedback is welcome and helpfull for the artists.

Review by Freeze Magazine [Greece]
============================
If you watch them live with Astral Projection
(05.05.06 Underworld club) you will understood that they love retro sound and that they transfered you 10 years back with the feeling of the timeless melodic goa trance madness which had seize our dreams and reality....Travel with them and goa trance godness would be happy!
=============================

ps.For those that are near to Brussels/Belgium don't miss their gig with Goasia on Brussels/Belgium (21 April) , would be a magic goa night.           www.cosmicleaf.com
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Radical Distortion - Regenesis (Unicorn Music, 2006)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance