Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Procs - Stuck In The Oven With Me

**maria**

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Feb 28, 2007 18:15
i agree to all
one of my fav album of the year 2005.
actualy till now too           Hmmmmm....something is wrong....

KALKI:
http://kalkinfo.web.fc2.com/

yupinoko@hotmail.co.jp
or
my e-mail on my profile.
(this one might be the best)
Hex Osirus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Mar 29, 2007 16:02
Man on every listen this just keeps getting better and better!!!Such intelligent organic sounding music. You are a true mad genious procs and I hope you know your music has very special feeling to it. You have some very crazy stuff going inside that head of yours. Very visual music, i dunno but sometimes i think i hear influences from Mr Bungle.
Marvelous stuff and I hope we hear some more stuff from you soon

Ps - Heard you might be coming to australia in July?? Your gonna Love it!! I know i will hehe           http://soundcloud.com/seer
shellbound
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Nov 6, 2009 20:37
Quote:

On 2007-03-29 16:02, Hex Osirus wrote:
Very visual music, i dunno but sometimes i think i hear influences from Mr Bungle.

YES!!! i noticed that too. regardless of whether that's one of the influences, but both have that absurd, surreal, circus music vibe going. this is truly deranged psychedelic music for me and it's achieved not with high bpms, chainsaw sounds, or glitching every bar, but with track structure, progressions, actual melodies, creative bouncy basslines, and overall atmosphere.

i can't stop listening to this one the past couple of days. it's just so... infectious.           https://soundcloud.com/dead-end-dance
https://soundcloud.com/shellbound
mk47
Inactive User

Started Topics :  118
Posted : Nov 7, 2009 13:09
the good stuff
filter

Started Topics :  87
Posted : Oct 20, 2010 08:26:36
Artist: Procs
Album : Stuck in the Oven with me
Label : Trishula Records
Release date : 2005

Procs is one of the most unique psychedelic trance musicians that have appeared from the Scandinavian dimensions. I remember that the first time I ever listened to Mikael Stegman’s work was when Mouka from Trishula Records sent me some stuff, long time ago, this must have been around 2004 when were finishing our debut album. I was amazed and freaked out by what I heard immediately, I must say that in the beggininng I really didn’t know what to make out of it, it was so different, the whole approach, even the kick and bass sounded totally different from the rest of what I called ‘psychedelic trance’ at that point. But then it grew inside me like fungus, I got hooked on this organic beats dripping and dribbling from the speakers.

This has always been a trend in the music coming from Sweden, they have redefined the style over and over again, I had heard all the fundamental works from Logic Bomb and Hux Flux and when I more or less knew what it was supposed to be then came Derango and Procs with their respective albums and I was amazed once again.

So we point our compass to the muddy swamps of the Procsian dimension to take a closer look on what is for me one of the most interesting artists in what some people call ‘forest trance’.

01.Gluffsing the pop

Procs has a very different approach on how psychedelic trance should sound like, he never followed any of the ‘killah’ trends, he always kept it groovy and organic. His sound will never sound mechanical, it will always drip, flow, burst, melt and crack, once you get used to this frequency, the stories start to unfold.

The trip starts slowly, growing into you from the edges of your perception. We start off with the crunchy kick and bass, almost sounding like a cart going thought the forest, the rustle of the leaves, the branches cracking, the rhythmic patterns of the horse’s hooves against the mud. Immediately we get this foresty atmosphere, and inside this swamp he created he starts drawing elegant melodies that appear slowly, twirling their way in, it sounds almost medieval at some point, a cross between some lullaby being played in a xylophone and a church organ howling mysterious harmonies.

In this track he is basically presenting all the elements that will carve a thread throughout the whole album, he will always go back to these medieval melodic landscapes which hold the main musical core. He slowly adds more and more crunchy and crackling elements while the pads sing and howl all the way throught the track. He will always present this almost circus like atmospheres with eerie melodies and Bernard Hermanesque harmonies. Im searching the dictionary and the thesaurus for words, and right now Outlandish seems the most appropiate one to define my impression of this music. Its almost magical, its almost like a dreamy state, the crunchy kick and bass hypnotize you while the melodies take you on different stories that are somehow weaved into the track.

The track finishes going from once melodic landscape to the other, its almost like classical music, like folk Swedish music, very difficult to put my finger on the genre it reminds me. A good starting track and also a quite clear one, this will be a swampy muddy ride thought the forest of our minds and souls.

02. Mr. Baengrot rides again

And off we go into full procsian madness, its not long before the track is filled with sounds creeping and crawling around the ooze created by the bass and kick. It’s more jumpy and groovy, more straightforward, if such a thing is possible in these tracks. The horse cart is definitely more rusty, its squeaking and it feels its almost going to break or crack.

He goes from parts full of melodic content building up tension and then he slowly releases it, combining with more abstract parts, where the crunchy crackling background steps up to front. In this track I start to hear a more jazzy approach to the whole thing, it even has a break or two where it sounds almost like the music the aliens where playing in the Star Wars bar.

You can hear creatures howling, branches falling, leaves rustling and on top melodies on the more high registers working like some sort of glue that ties together the whole swampy mess that seems to be crawling forward.

It builds up in a quite beautiful way near the end, with more and more melodies that seem to pick up where the previous one stopped, a lot of soundscapes sewn together, like some melodic patch work, a musical quilt built with audible organic material. This is what I like of foresty music, its alive, it’s a cross between animal and a plant, it roars, it oozes, it grows, it sleeps. There is also a nice oldschool touch in the melodies, something that the Swedish artists always kept.

03.The Tailnissers Tale Moffy mix

After the build up of the last track, Procs takes us into a more deep and subtle ground again that grows slowly with more percussive layers being added to the pulsating muddy kick and bass. It always give you the same feeling, like the music is like some sort of ship or cart sailing through its own folds, sailing through the same ooze that created it.

This is for sure the most techy and straightforward track until now, around the mid section it slowly starts to reveal some melodic contents, but they are just mere hints for something that will come in the end.

Almost in the end he drives the track into a more groovy direction, it sounds almost oldschool in a way, it reminds me of Paps or even old parvati stuff. The pads go building up while the crunchy woody sounds twist and turn around the soup. I must say that I feel this track is a little more empty in a way, I prefer when Procs reaches its full madness with a million layers.

The track finished off with some insane monkeys laughing and screaming (or is its some weird birds from the Procsian Jungle?), giving a nice introduction for the next track.

04.Gelaton Megafon

The jungle vibe keeps going on in this track starting with percussions that slowly develop into a full track filled with detuned trumpets and creaky leads. The kick and bass and percussions are melted onto each other all the time, once again the feeling of traveling, of being transported in some organic vehicle.

The track is almost oily, almost wet, drenched in its own ooze. Around minute 3 the track opens up like a flower, or like an eye, suddenly you can see inside it, you can see the mechanism of the cart and all the sonic fluids going from one place to the other. A melody crowns the whole section reminding you of the first melodic hints he gave away in the first tracks. The tracks breaks again revealing its core, its like a beast rolling around in the mud, like a snake slithering, and it goes on again filled with delightful melodies that seemed to tell stories, its almost oldschool but in a way we never heard before, he gave a procsian twist to the whole platform.

The track is filled with synths that almost sound like birds chirping, like leaves crackling, like owls flying from one branch to the other. Again the melodic content is put on hold to reveal the crunchy solid base where this cart is running. Melodies keep gliding and slinking while the percussions bounce, like a soup that mixes itself, like a witch’s cauldron boiling.

The idea of the album its so musical, its almost like Procs it’s an orchestra conductor, an orchestra composed by the creatures that live in his mind.
          Psychedelic Trance from Argentina
www.darkprisma.com.ar
www.megalopsy.com.ar
www.psytrance.com.ar

Megalopsy Travel Blog
http://megalopsy.blogspot.com
filter

Started Topics :  87
Posted : Oct 20, 2010 08:29
05. Overtures from the Oven

This is the introduction from the Oven, this track is conveniently placed halfway through the album and seems to be there to tie the whole theme of this masterpiece. It’s the longest track, so lets’s see what this brings us…

Once again we ride this swirly, glidy, sneaky snaky basslines, percussions and sounds start surrounding the listener, it sounds like the track is a camera guiding you through a deep space forest. The melodies and pads are poured in the background slowly while the mashed up tribal percussions hold the listener’s attention.

The tracks changes direction around minute 4, the bass and kick get more slippery and rubbery, the sytnths and melodies are sewn together creating the illusion of some sort of multiple trumpet being played. Some musicians are able to capture a feeling with a track, but Procs managed to capture a whole dimension, you can taste it, smell it, see it, almost touch it. And once again we fall into the depths of the procsian soundscapes, the medieval melodies give the track a dreamy touch, almost like a fairy tale.

This is I have to stay it’s the most powerful track until now in the sense that it feels like its pushing its way from the background to the front. It builds up until its impossible to perceive the whole track at once, you have to listen to it a few times before you can understand the story properly.

A beautiful melody guides the track towards its end, more pitched detuned bells that sparkle and shine against the mysterious background. This track for me until now it’s the highlight of the album, the music sounds like an hypnotizing mesmerizing vortex that swallows you whole…

06. Samsonited

Samsonited starts as one of the most gloomy tracks in this album, after the heavenly melodies of the last track, Procs takes us into a more introspective ride, almost like a track for pausing one second, for catching one’s breath.

The track goes slowly evolving into a eerie soundscape, almost reminding you of Danny Elfman’s work for Tim Burton, filled with smooth melodies that appear from the edges of the track. The kick and bass are almost subby, enough to keep you going but almost impossible to perceive when more layers come in.

This is definitely a more mysterious and somber track that the previous ones, I think it fits with the musical concept of the album, but maybe alone it wouldn’t be a good representative of the whole work. It’a almost one of the most dry tracks, not so many layers, only a few melodies here and there coloring the crunchy grooves in the background. This is an interesting, self-reflective track but it missing a climax somehow.

After hearing the album a few times I come to realize that this track serves an interesting purpose in the album, specially after a track like Overtures, I appreciate the variation and subtle changes in style within the style itself.

07. Pogo Pedagog

This tracks comes out like a more percussion based one, it’s almost like a warped up, drenched in ooze version of old school techno in some ways. It’s covered in small percussion sounds, slowly building a very tribal atmosphere while this bassy distorted crunch keeps the track steady.
Mid and high frequencies start slowly to appear in the spectrum, pouring inside the track like some kind of stereo funnel. Sounds sneaking from the front and back, eerie melodies fading in, crunchy fat sawtooths roaring, orchestral and majestic composition all the way through.

And suddenly the track opens again around minute 4, once again like a flower, like an eye, suddenly the track just swallows you, its almost like carrousel music, like being tossed around in a circus tent or the house of mirrors in a carnival. One of the things that is constant in the album is his ability to combine abstract and melodic parts, building and releasing tension in a very elegant and organic way.

The track just keeps going and going, the last minutes again achieve this vortex feeling, where the sound pictures gets more clear than ever, the core is revealead and somehow a meaning is explained, maybe meaning is not the best word, essence would be a better one. Once again this idea of the track being the object and the object that creates the track at the same time.

08. Sub Glob

Sub glob seems like a perfect name for this track, I don’t know if it was a conscious decision, but it really fits. The procsian beasts unleashed in all its majestic beauty, snarling and slithering, growling and grunting, dancing and howling to the beats.

Full of huge fat sawtooth synthes crunching and crackling, very subby bass and kick to keep this underwater liquid feeling, sounds being poured and mixed into the soup. The track breaks to just get more crazy, its almost mean, this is one of the most serious tracks, its heavy an deep, one of the best in this album with no doubt. Even the melodies are pitched down and detuned, the best word I can think of is serious, its stripped down psychedelic trance being pushed through the speakers, its propah stuff, the feeling you get when you know the track would be as good from the beginning to the end.

Wow! Very inspired by this track, you can definitely notice the hard work, how each synth was carefully woven into the composition, the mix is just perfect, the sub bass and kick with the fat and crunchy synths, the minimal use of percussion, the perfect recipe for a seriously psychedelic trance track, quoting from Damion from Psyreviews, this is what in what people in the music industry would describe as ‘wicked shit’.

09.Buforsk Normal

And on to the last track now, also one of the longest tracks on the album when you read the duration in the cd. The intensity is definitely higher in the last tracks, someone has finally oilied up the cart and its not squeaking anymore, the orchestra has warmed up and its working like a finely tuned machine.

The track starts in its full power and keeps the groove going thru the whole thing. The bassline is groovy and mean its keeps forcing you to bob your head, the groove is just too contagious, the synths and percussions are enough to keep it going.
Another interesting common aspect of the tracks is the fact that usually there are very few breaks in the tracks, in some even no real breaks at all, this helps a lot to keep the flow running, it’s a very organic way to approach psychedelic trance, almost like a river running down hill.

It slowly gets more intense for the ending with eerie choirs and small melodic details reaching a very nice climax, full of layers and a very mysterious atmosphere. And suddenly silence filling up the room again, it was really quite a trip, one of the best albums of 2005, and one of the best albums of this so called forest style, definitely recommend for any forest students around.

But no wait! There’s something left….

10. Hidden Track

And suddenly this insane groove and this weird voice telling an even weirder story appears filling up the room. ‘Come In’.

The story evolves into a full track, a very nice goodbye to everyone, like the kind of music they would put in interludes in the circus or theather, a beautiful melody guides the way through a muddy jazzy baseline. Do you remember the band from Nightmare before Christmas? This sounds almost played by them!.

And now yes, with a solitary applause and some struggle putting the creatures back inside procs head, we say goodbye to one true masterpiece of this genre. It really leaves you with a good feeling, almost the feeling that the album was getting better and better and in the end you are just left wanting more.

Thanks a lot Micke for so kindly waiting for us this long time!

Stay tuned for the review of his second album The Lonely Land of Tada.           Psychedelic Trance from Argentina
www.darkprisma.com.ar
www.megalopsy.com.ar
www.psytrance.com.ar

Megalopsy Travel Blog
http://megalopsy.blogspot.com
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Oct 20, 2010 09:08
wow, so nobody reviewed this album here yet? Very good written man!
I still listen to this album from time to time aswell.
Its always fun to put on a procs track and discover new things in each tracks. Truly a talented producer this guy.
Haven't given mick's 2nd album a proper listening yet but def will.

cheers!           For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
Sunai

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Oct 20, 2010 10:01
one of the most unique albums!..
ILSE
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Oct 21, 2010 16:29
... very nice review ...

and one of the most intense trips baked on cd i know ... had several sessions with it already .. lovely peace or art ..
thx for the music ..

bOOm
mk47
Inactive User

Started Topics :  118
Posted : Oct 21, 2010 17:07
the good stuff
x psyle

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 15:14
brilliant album and a very nice detailed review!!           Those who danced were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
Whr

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Oct 25, 2010 15:55
very nice review.. well articulated..
one of my favourite albums ever..

Procs
Procs

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Oct 27, 2010 09:45
thanks for this review Nicolas!!

@ wizack: yes, there was one review back when it was freshly released, but don´t know what happened with that... cant find it anymore...

www.procs.se
www.myspace.com/procstrance
www.myspace.com/stellarinkpony
shellbound
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Oct 28, 2010 22:55
Quote:

On 2010-10-27 09:45, Procs wrote:
thanks for this review Nicolas!!

@ wizack: yes, there was one review back when it was freshly released, but don´t know what happened with that... cant find it anymore...

still here:

http://forum.isratrance.com/procs-stuck-in-the-oven-with-me/9-77983/

amazing album.           https://soundcloud.com/dead-end-dance
https://soundcloud.com/shellbound
Dark Prisma Records
Dark Prisma Records

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Oct 28, 2010 23:58
aah there it is i couldnt find it!

maybe its possible to merge the topics?

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Procs - Stuck In The Oven With Me
← Prev Page