Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Philo - Dropzone (2005 - Avalanche Records)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Philo - Dropzone (2005 - Avalanche Records)

Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 23, 2005 15:28
Artist: Philo (Philip Krueger)
Album title: Dropzone
Label: Avalanche Records
Mastered by: Sebastian Krueger (SBK)
Released: October 2005
Cover: http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?avr1cd008_b.jpg:CDs/avr/avr1cd008.html:;

Tracklist:

1. Congo (128 BPM)
2. Protophon (128 BPM)
3. Banjo Bob (130 BPM)
4. The Hunt (130 BPM)
5. Dropzone (134 BPM)
6. Senseless (132 BPM)
7. Turn On (130 BPM)
8. Power Plant (130 BPM)
9. People At Night (96 BPM)

Total time: 78:10

The review:

Philip Krueger will be known by most of you under his 'Quarz' moniker. Having released an album called: SIO2 in 2002 under Global Trance Network and, more recently, a few singles on the Avalanche of Sound compilations, it is now time for a full length album by Philo (as he now calls himself). Let me just start this by saying people that don't like deep progressive more leaning towards the progressive house atmosphere can just stop reading now, as chances are slim that you'll really like this one. Those people that have a more open progressive mind though are in for a treat. This is one corker of an album. As far as progressive goes, this is one of my faves for 2005 together with albums like Ticon, Behind Blue Eyes, POTS etc.

Track 1: Starts off slowly and builds to a deep atmosphere with a great emphasis on the bassline. I like this a lot, especially when the bassline changes and the female voice sample flows by.

Track 2: This is one of the best tracks on the album. More laidback, with a good emphasis on the subtle padsounds. Not much of a buildup here, just one solid flow.

Track 3: The most funky tune on the album and this is great dancefloor material. Nice to see some producers still know the funky side of things. Great track.

Track 4: More like track 1, but a different kind of flow. This is less deep and more to the front. Nice enough, but not memorable.

Track 5: The title track delivers a more simple melody and this is a track that'll pop up in your mind every now and then. Nice work, not as deep as most of the tracks.

Track 6: Good flow once more, and this is back into deeper territory again.

Track 7: Much like track 6, different vibe but similar in style.

Track 8: You've guessed it... like track 6,7? Yep. Great vibes though.

Track 9: The chill track. Deep padsounds and a relaxed night-cafe kind of sound going on. Not bad at all and for the diversity this is nice ofcourse. Thumbs up.

Conclusion time: Well, I might not be a wonder with track to track reviews, but I hope people have an idea of what to expect from this. I think this is a great album. If you like progressive you should definately check this one out. On my 'best of 2005' list for sure. Avalanche records is doing great this year, with the release of Avalanche of Sound Vol. 4, this album and the Element album (I'll be reviewing that one shortly). Let's hope they keep it up! Top notch

Listen to samples here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/avr/avr1cd008.html
(also check out saikosounds for longer samples)

0h, one final thing: Have fun in 2006 people!!           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
mark

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Apr 29, 2006 00:58
"Let me just start this by saying people that don't like deep progressive more leaning towards the progressive house atmosphere can just stop reading now, as chances are slim that you'll really like this one."

True, this moves on from the excellent joint ablumn Krueger did with greg coyle - Randy Expander...if you liked Son Kites housier releases and the AoS volumns.....get this, very nice..
          SNAFU..
furthur
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Apr 29, 2006 06:57
Quote:

True, this moves on from the excellent joint ablumn Krueger did with greg coyle - Randy Expander...

this is a different krueger by the way.
the kruger and coyle was philip's brother sebastian

but very curious over here to see at least 1 other review of this album          Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.

www.ganesha.ca
Dance N Dust
Dance N Dust

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Apr 29, 2006 19:58
very good stuff over that album
fat and massive sound.
best track for me here is 2,4
look like not so many ppl know that project.
so must check that up..!           out now:
Aumrec – Before The Beginning ,EP
V/a Beat Wins , Compiled by DJ Asherun
Embargaa - Slova . EP
www.myspace.com/dancendustrecords
DJ Buju
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Apr 30, 2006 13:32
Quote:

On 2006-04-29 19:58, asher wrote:

look like not so many ppl know that project.
so must check that up..!

Yes i agree, Iv had this album for a long time and it always works great on the dancefloor... one of those albums that not many people are aware about ( which can be good ) but my recomendations are high!

Check it!
BUju
kristyandmoe

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 3, 2006 09:32
Was only reminded of this album when looking here recently, then walked past a shop in perth that had it in stock. Glad i got it, great release and im probably only on my third listen. Have a feeling this will improve with each listen.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 3, 2006 15:12
Quote:

On 2006-05-03 09:32, kristyandmoe wrote:
Was only reminded of this album when looking here recently, then walked past a shop in perth that had it in stock. Glad i got it, great release and im probably only on my third listen. Have a feeling this will improve with each listen.

It sure does. It's one of those albums that you can put on after a couple of weeks and suddenly in the middle of one of the songs you go: Hey! This is great! Why haven't I noticed this before??           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Philo - Dropzone (2005 - Avalanche Records)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance