Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phatmatix - The Divine Comedy [Yabai Records 2008]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Phatmatix - The Divine Comedy [Yabai Records 2008]

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Jan 22, 2009 10:05:39
its been 2 years since 'sorcery' was released on yabai records. since then the phatmatix sound has been ever evolving whilst maintaining the highest quality with every release and now he has released his 2nd album 'the divine comedy' again with yabai records. lets get to the goodies.

1. babylon circus [144 bpm]: the album kicks off with an ominous down tempo tune. think of spooky vocal samples, opera-like vocals, and an ever present feeling that there is something lurking in the shadows... this is a very creepy tune. production value is high - the sounds are crisp and clear, each of the melodic layers employed play a well defined role from the distorted metallic leads, to the little bits of piano playing about. this tune goes a far way in setting up the theme of the album, which is essentially the afterlife. lots of stylistic features presented here carry on to the other tunes, namely the appropriate usage of very creepy vocal samples... 'fear'... 'darkness'....'heaven'....'humanity?'... really twisted stuff

2. the labyrinth [145 bpm]: now things pick up with this tune. again some really creepy samples... 'save me .......... i am everywhere.....' this is a nice crunchy tune with flat crisp kicks - the kind you can hear lots of twilight acts use nowadays. this tune wastes no time in setting up the melodies and by 1.47 you can hear the classic phatmatix leads bubbling about. by 2.20 the track just bubbles into full form. you can hear phatmatix experimenting with new sounds, especially these really sick sounding leads that just add a very looney deranged sort of madness to the whole ambience of the track. the melody structures used are very characteristic of what phatmatix has been releasing of late, subtle yet effective and above all, it gets across the feeling of sickness that nobody else does quite like phatmatix. the buildup in the 5th minute is interesting to hear as the track never really dies out but sort of just plays with the listener, and comes back roaring by 5.45. very slick drum rolls and some nice fx. by 6.02 there's a new melody which is unlike anything iv heard before, very freaky very twisted! .... just when you think things couldnt get any more demented around 7.32 there's a lead which literally cries out to you. this isn't your run of the mill stomper, its different, sort of moody and introspective, but above all scary as hell! i can see lots of djs hacking their way into innocent minds with this one . 9/10.

3. the punishment [144 bpm]: as with the previous two tracks, this track also starts off an eery note, but this is definitely a more dynamic and charged tune. the kick bass is introduced by 0.50 and its more power oriented than the labyrinth. the fx are crisp and stereo panning gives this track a crazy hypnotic feeling. the leads bubble all over the place, with nice flangering about and this really crazy opera like echo. the buildup around 3.00 is freakin crazy, i love the guitar riff like stabs that come about, and the surreal melody that develops is just a pleasure to hear. following up from the last tune this track definitely takes listeners to the next level on the power meters. the break around 4.50 is nicely introduced with the panned out faded kicks, and the tune that comes bouncing back is something completely new from the phatmatix labs. im talking about something very deranged, yet playful. this culminates in a melody that reminds me of older winter demon tunes. im talking about a low rumbling melody,that broods its way all over the place. lovely arrangements of squeeks and other melodic touches. this tune definitely shows a different side of phatmatix, with different leads and melodies that iv never heard from this act. especially the groovy bits that come and go. i definitely like the new sounds, especially the haunting end with those creepy opera singers. 9/10

4.beyond reality live mix [147 bpm]: the original beyond reality was released a little while back on the 2007 matsuri festival cd/dvd. that track in itself was a monster, so the expectations for this tune were pretty high . the track starts off on a really demented note with a melody straight out of a lullabye. heavy pads, and metallic stabs, followed by muted kicks leads to the kick-bass. this is a little more groovier than the previous tune. the whole melodic arrangement along with tight work on the highs lends this track a really looney feeling, but theres nothing looney about the melody which sets in around 2.30 . the melody is low and dirty - something which should scare the boogieman if you know what im saying. this track has a subdued buildup around 3.20 with the melody swirling about with the ever persistent kick bass. by the 5th minute new leads are explored, and the break that follows helps bring this roaring monster wake up. i really like the softer leads that add more depth to the lunacy being depicted. the 6th minute is where this track truely shines. the buildup is full of power, and you can see the guy pull out all the tricks he can think off before the power is cut loose. the newer sounds and effects added to this rmx are a delight, and give the track a more sinister feel than the original. this is a pretty good track but perhaps since its a rmx of something iv already heard it doesnt stand out as much as the previous tunes. none the less if you play this track in the night, expect some wild screams from happy stompers . 8/10.

5. the void [145 bpm]: here we have julien from digital talk joining stephane, together forming the mindcore. anyone who has heard their earlier work know this is some serious music. after some spacey ambient pads and a vocal talking about searching for the void, the kick bass is introduced by 0.30. the percussion is dynamic and all about the power again, and the accompanying leads and samples of screams are remenescient of digital talk's recent work. by 2.15 you have some heavy metallic leads introduced that lend the track some sharp teeth... by 3.00 you have the groove come in, definitely something to put an evil grin on your face .... 'we are in a transition phase of the old world dying and a new world being born!' the only phrase that can describe the feeling this track evokes is synthetic groovyness topped off with smooth flowing rhythm. the melody around 4.40 again sees a kind of playful lead which will defintely push dancers about as it alterantes between serious moods and playful moods. add vocal samples of evil laughter and softer slick leads that add a sinister aftertouch to this rolling monster and you have a really fun filled ride which will have the dancefloor begging for more. in comparison to the earlier tracks this one is kind of short, and it literally flies by without one noticing where the time goes. a serious party starter with a great flow. go mindcore 9/10.           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Jan 22, 2009 10:06
6. dominator [145 bpm]: the mere name of this track is what attracted my attention the most. the introduction is a well controlled descent into darkness accompanied with a very short lived recurring sample of a female singer. this is accompanied with very ominous samples about the planet not being safe anymore..... ''they want you to know they are there'.. the melody introduced again is surreal in the way that it carries across so much emotion and really has quite a story to depict. the percussions are crisp and the track chugs along in a subdued fashion and listeners can really feel elements coming together slowly but surely.... 'listen!...... listen to me..if you want to know what is going on... you have to listen to me... you have to... because you dont know...' cant make out what the rest of the sample say but regardless here we have stephane doing what he does best, introduce melodies which unnerve listeners and yet maintain the power quotient. this is easily some of his best work and its a real pleasure to hear him take things one step further with precisely placed fx. the arrangement of layers is always pushing the boundary to see how tension can be built up leading to a break..... ' how i can go on about how i can freak people out.. id like to forget but they'd like you to know that they are there'.,. damn i wish could understand all of the samples.. but surely anyone will recognise the climax of 'dominator!'. the track comes rushing back in full force thereafter and the madness goes on, the buildup in the middle of the 7th minute is another piece of ear candy, with the tension being built in ways that would make absolum proud . the track continues on in a similar fashion with lots of melodic variations thrown in for good measure. this is another stomper of track and one not to be taken lightly. 9/10.

7. hominus nocturna [146 bpm]: this one starts off with some very strange sounding submerged sounds. very deep intense atmosphere followed by a really beautiful sample of a woman singing. i really cant make out what she is singing though, by the end of the 1st minute it doesnt matter. the power is flowing and the percussion is crisp and clean. the structure builds up, and the bassline is just unrelenting. samples like monks chanting, topped with this feeling that this storm is going to explode. by the 3rd minute, the track oozes power and terrifying leads poke about. the deranged lead that follows is something truely wonderful in all its terrifying glory. if the other tracks have failed to convince you that this is a true master at work, then hominus nocturna should make you a believer:). the slowdown towards the end of the 4th minute transitions smoothly, and the unrelenting feel is ever present. 'hominus nocturna......answer me....' the rumbling melodies like those in the punishment are again shown, but with the female singing sample used really nicely. you can hear phatmatix trying new things and although at the core of it all its still that demented sound, the overall feeling that the track exudes is something deeper, something more introspective again. yet the track lets out enough to keep listeners hooked especially towards the end. definitely new grounds for the phatmatix sound and a wonderful psychedelic place it is. 8/10.

8. melodreams [144 bpm]: 'i dream..... i dream im floating on the surface of my own life....' an epic atmosphere accompanied with a sinister melody that foretells a wonderful story. the bassline seems a little more on the bouncey side, with interesting android fx and a very subdued progression pattern, with that wonderful intro melody spurring things on it leaves the serious impression that the music is literally talking to you like an old friend. the track builds a little more in the 3rd minute with characteristic metallic leads being introduced. the whole feeling of this one is sort of bouncey and carefree- very different from the stephane's usual work. the leads evolve to take a looney edge, and there are playful bleeps and tweeps. by the 5th minute the introductory samples comes again ..... 'and dream.... watching it unfold... observing .....' if machines could find themselves waking and responding to humans- this is what i would imagine them talking like. the build up culminates in a nice dynamic melody which doesnt get too twisty, but with enough work on the fx to keep things really interesting. the melodies then adapt a sort of desperate feeling and the final buildup continues this story. in retrospect you really do find yourself floating about with this track, the whole ambience especially the pads towards the end are very dreamy. some really interesting stuff presented here - i feel this track is more for the mind than it is for the body. as a dj it would be really interesting to see the direction ppl would take listening to this track towards the end of a long night. 8.5/10

9. in tenebris [146bpm]: well this is the last track of the divine comedy and it starts off with a sort of epic chanting accompanied with samples in french. the muted kicks, and electric stabs, leads to a no non-sense bassline. with this tune the album is truely ending with a bang. the bassline jumps at all the right places, to keep the rhtyhm going, and distorted tweaked stabs accompanied with very subdued melodies leave space for a wonderful journey. the melody introduced in the 3rd minute is moody, and not overtly aggressive, but the other melodic touches around it lend it all it needs to scare the daylights out of you. the track just sort of creeps up on the listener not letting him/her slip once trapped. more french samples and a break that is packed with fun, will keep any dancefloor jumping and waiting... 'this is who you are!' more derangement with those long drawn out leads, and these leads let the tension build while the track sets forward once again. by the 6th minute fun time is over and the track takes on a very serious tone as a new melody is introduced. this is more like a return to the source with classical phatmatix elements. but the tricks pulled off in the breaks are totally new - talk about muted leads, and glitchy phatmatix melodies, accompanied by whirling drawn out bleeps, eventually leading to screeching hault... and a melody that is breathtaking - it really does take a moment to come back to reality.... 'its the only voice you hear.. screaming now!' the story roars back with some female vocals which i cant quite understand. the track continues urging and pulling you in different leads with drawn out stabs, and regular surprises with arrangements of beats towards the end. this is a fitting end to the divine comedy, a beautiful yet haunting journey. 9/10.

conclusion: i dont think there is much more to say about this album - phatmatix has produced a real gem. phatmatix has in many ways re-invented his style, there are lots of new sounds and ideas, including great use of samples. there is also a great variety in the feelings the music evokes hear, you have tracks that are playful and dreamy and others that really take you to some very dark places, all the while maintaining some really clean production. what interests me is the way the music is sort of spaced out with moody introspective tracks accompanied with more dancefloor oriented ones. listening to this album is really like a journey. as a dj tool too, the album is really versatile with tracks ranging from 144 to 147 bpm. if you follow twilight music, then this cd is for you. if you have never heard any of phatmatix's work before, then you have got to do yourself a favor and get this cd pronto. big up to yabai for another great release, this cd takes the toll up to 4 great releases from them in 2008. the art work is another aspect worth mentioning. its really quite beautiful and especially apt given the theme of the afterlife.

overall: 10/10 (totally worth the money)
recommendations - 1 through to 10

where you can buy this:
psyshop:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yab/yab1cd015.html
saikosounds:
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7761

the artwork if anyone is interested:
http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?yab1cd015_b.jpg:CDs/yab/yab1cd015.html:;

you can read this review and other reviews by me @ www.schizoid.in           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Jan 22, 2009 11:10
just found the myspace for the artist behind the cover art for this cd
big shout out to nico psyart for some crazy artwork
incase anyone's interested:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=109508105           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
onionbrain
Onionbrain

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Jan 22, 2009 13:56
hmmmmm great artwork!!!

seems to be a great album!! will listen...
orca
Orca

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jan 23, 2009 01:25

i waited long time for this realese..totally worth the wait..its a hell of an albom-really inspiring..

now ill wait for the mindcore albom:)

!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Jan 23, 2009 09:00
Phatmatix has some serious stuff in here.. realy more acidic and one would realy ask for more n more .. great work from the phat master.liked all the trax ,fav r 1,3,6,7 & mind core track was OKAY ! Yea squirm the "mindcore" track is realy good to start a set .. amazing review keep them commin, the CD cover art work is great too... boom to yabai for gettin us quality stuff like this in a world where ppl say psytrance is going no where           0x00000PSy
cray3
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Feb 2, 2009 15:35
This album is everything you can ask for, excellent music, superb cover art and good production..
One of the best albums of this year.           --------
</cray3>
Radio Schizoid
http://www.schizoid.in
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Feb 4, 2009 11:39
oooh cant wait to review this one, it sounds fat as can be... review coming sooon in true monkey style.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
poncho

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Feb 6, 2009 15:45
had a listen to half of this album and stopped, found it to be pretty cheesy, with many over used synth's used too
bbgun

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Feb 7, 2009 19:55
The best part for me is the artwork. Really neat!
rashka
Phatmatix

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Feb 8, 2009 15:01
Hey Guyz

Thanx for positives and negatives comments...we all like differents stuff, no worries
Special thanx to Squirm for such a long review !!!
Stef           http://www.myspace.com/phatmatix
http://www.phatmatix.com/
Fometrius
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  84
Posted : Dec 22, 2009 05:46
Really really like this album,this is a golden gem for sure,just as the cd before (Sorcery). Very detailed and with much atmosphere and depth.

I find this to be truly psychedelic and mind exploring. Very powerful,spiritual,complex and magnetic. Have spent many many hours listening to this cd and other songs released before by Phatmatix,and will continue so

Deranger
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Dec 22, 2009 07:07
i love the beyond reality track ,great album,on of the best artists in this genre!
keep'm coming
blind reaper

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 23, 2009 23:30
this album is just getting better and better with time..amazing tracks...
Tantrum

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 24, 2009 07:22
great album, really driving gear...keep the killah coming           Dj Tantrum (Nexus Media/digital psionics) Australia tantrum869@hotmail.com/myspace.com/djtantrum88
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phatmatix - The Divine Comedy [Yabai Records 2008]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance