Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - PhasePhour "...Boiing & Zipp"
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

PhasePhour "...Boiing & Zipp"

PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  75
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 19:34
PhasePhour is Eldar Von Essen and John Robert Egeland. They are one of just a few psytrance groups in Norway. They have amazed us with several great live shows, full of energy, funny details and positive vibes, in Sweden and in Norway the last couple of years. They run their own label called Freetransform Records, based in a fantastic studio in Spydeberg, Norway, which is a little place right outside Oslo. They are probably still pretty unknown around the world, because they have only released a few tracks (two 12” inches) on their own label. Now they are out with their debut album on Freetransform Records.

PhasePhour "…Boiing & Zipp" Freetransform Records 2004 (FTFR003CD)

1. Life Puzzle
2. …Boiing & Zipp
3. Still 10 To Go
4. Pharma Tech
5. Views Of The…
6. Astrodome
7. Lost In The Unreachable
8. Zyk
9. Physical Blues

The first track starts with an atmospheric floating sound, and a nice little melody, before some totally deep, heavy rhythms starts pushing. Stumpy as hell, with psychedelic sounds jumping around the heavy bass line. Nice and crunchy. Now and then the atmospheric vibe floats back into the track and we get a really trancey vibe. In the middle of the track we get a little break, before it builds up again and become totally full on madness. Track 2 has the album title, and is actually my favourite track on this album. The sounds give me some kind of mystic vibes. The beats are really hard pushing, and the melodies sounds dark. Definitely one of the better full on tracks I have heard. After a while, a great melody comes in, and things become much lighter, without becoming cheesy. It builds up and we get variation all the way. This is how full on should be in my opinion. Melodic and dark at the same time, with so much variation that you can never go tired of it. Track 3 is a remix of a track they released on one of their 12” last year. This one is much darker. Drifting, hard, rolling rhythms all the way, with dark psychedelic sounds dancing above. This one is also melodic, but the melodies are a bit more hidden. Track 4 is another groovy, heavy floor stumper, with a bit slower tempo. The psychedelic sounds we get here are really great, and swirls around the heavy bass line. It builds up and become more and more full on during the track. The melodies that comes in after a while is really great. Another one of those full on favourites of mine.

Then we get a little rest with track 5, which is a chilled down tempo track. It has a really floating, beautiful vibe. Here we also get some female vocals between the floating sounds. Very relaxing and nice after four full on tracks. Track 6 goes back to darker, full on vibes. A rolling, dark heavy bass line. Very pushing with some funny sounds jumping in and out of the track. The breaks are nice, and when the beat starts pushing full on again, it sounds totally massive! This one is more noisy and dark than the previous tracks. Track 7 is one of the most groovy track on this album. A really deep bass line, with psychedelic sounds jumping and swirling just the way I like it. Dark, full on trance, still with melodies hidden in the madness. This one also builds up like several of the other tracks on this album, and become really massive. Track 8 is a fast going, pumping track. This one is a bit darker all the way through than the other tracks, and the sounds we get here is pretty spaced out. About as full on as it can get. After these heavy tracks, we finally get the finish on the album, which is a slow down tempo track. A chilling, melodic track with a lot of variation. This track has some kind of happy vibe that will fit perfect into your summer chill in the sun…

PhasePhour delivers a really strong debut album. I’m sure these guys will surprise many psytrancers out there with this album, and you will for sure hear more from them in the future. If you haven’t seen them live yet, I will strongly recommend you to do so. With their colourful clothes and physical energy on the stage, they give you a great live show. A good album full of nice variation. Recommended!
PK

For more reviews, check out:

http://www.trance.net
          CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD01 QUALITY RELAXATION
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
CTRCD04 WOMBATMUSIC - Shameful Silence
CTRCD05 POLYPLOID - Grow Your Own
CTRCD06 IAN ION - Gringo Locomotion
CTRCD07 SUNKINGS - Before We Die
SenstatuX
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Mar 9, 2004 17:57
This album really surprised me, its a great cd, blends with alot of diffrent styles, from fullon to ambient, really not what i had expected from this artists.. i must say good luck to them and stay in this way couse its the good way!           i live for this moment here...
Anak
Anakoluth

Started Topics :  108
Posted : Apr 26, 2004 00:27
i own this cd since quiet some time now and gave it alot of time to grow on me. the tracks i like are "...boiing & zipp", "still 10 to go", "views of the ..." and "physical blues". i couldnt connect to the rest at all.
the four trax i mentioned are imho brillant masterpieces....but unfortuantely the rest is only average...to be honest, bad. too much pseudo-melodic layered bandpassed acidlines imho..the negative (and as well a big) point of this album is the lack of diversity...it all pretty sounds the same with the same sounding synths and percussion combos.

verdict: four superb tracks. the rest ranges from good through ok til bad. musically not really interesting but peaktime dancefloor material.

rate: 5/10

....still 10 to go....           Anakoluth A Pebble in Your Eardrum's Shoe since 2001!
http://www.myspace.com/anakoluth
http://www.ektoplazm.com/profiles/anakoluth/
http://cronomi.com
lucidpicnic
Lucid Picnic

Started Topics :  132
Posted : Dec 4, 2004 11:39
...Boing and Zipp
an amazing track

yeah groovy!
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Apr 22, 2005 20:57
I agree with Anak on some of the statement, but I would give this album 8 of 10. It's very "Astral Projection" like. Not boring Full-On, it's got some great flows and it is in the spirit of "Goa" music. It's a powerfull album with great non cheesy melodies.
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 19, 2005 21:48
I really liked this album as well. It was very interesting and melodic. I did not get tired listening to this at home. I look forward to their next release to see if they can maintain the momentum. Godd work!

mdk
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Dec 27, 2010 21:58
Quote:

On 2005-05-19 21:48, Trance2MoveU wrote:
I really liked this album as well. It was very interesting and melodic. I did not get tired listening to this at home. I look forward to their next release to see if they can maintain the momentum. Godd work!

mdk

Hey mdk, did you ever get to check out their second release on Morning Star Records / Geomagnetic.TV? It's not in the same style as this but follows a more progressive route which has tracks even MTV alla Trentmøller fans should notice. To bad it went released almost unoticed, especially by the mainstream media which it sort of (being a tad patriotic here as well ) one of it's target audiances.

Fun From Far Away is a very nice album, it deserves a review and some promotion

http://www.discogs.com/PhasePhour-Fun-From-Far-Away/release/1344287

peace'
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - PhasePhour "...Boiing & Zipp"

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance