Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Noisy Pipes - Out of Sync with this World (Sonic Motion rec cd 04 / 2009)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Noisy Pipes - Out of Sync with this World (Sonic Motion rec cd 04 / 2009)

Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : May 17, 2009 16:22:11
Noisy Pipes - Out of Sync with this World

Tracklisting :

1 - Crawling, Seeking
2 - No Transpose
3 - I So Late
4 - How To Quiet Noisy Pipes
5 - Cheers For Fears (featuring Triskell)
6 - Dead Orchid
7 - Maybe The Exit
8 - Out Of Sync With This World
9 - Heartbeat And Footsteps (All That's Left Now)
10 - Decay
11 - Orage

Written & Produced by: Nicolas Zappa
Mastering by: Charles - Tryptich @ Preference Mastering
Artwork by: Romain Mistretta

About Sonic Motion records => It's a french label founded by Dj Atyss (Greg), a quite long involved Dj in the French Psytrance scene since 1995. He's well known for his Tag mix collaboration in numerous parties with Patrick Rognant (from famous broadcast "Rave Up" on radio FG).

About Noisy Pipes => Like his label manager, Noisy Pipes is French & has a special connexion with the radio as he spent some years promoting the psytrance music via mixes with 'Trance Vallée Express' on a FM Radio from the capital Paris. The Noisy Pipes sounds enters the Dark category, stating the point the French dark productions are generally mentally over the standard ; it would range Noisy Pipes as an alter ego of Artifakt with a larger musical spectre (ambient-dancefloor-experimental) & influences (indus-ebm) or perhaps R.A.M in a darker way nonetheless.

Musically speaking what does it give ? =>
Crawling, Seeking opens the cd with an evident EBM influence in a mid-tempo & freestyle mode. The fat electric guitar, kindly noisy, saturated, reminds me a bit of Tim Schuldt's style. This opening, at the image of the album is quite eclectic in his influences & construction, especially with the classical touch with the piano which confers a cinematographic feeling, Thriller one to be precise.

No Transpose penetrates the dancefloor area, here the trademark is focused on the Apocalyptic feeling with a noticeable rhythmic all along & which from 2"37 is a tribute to R.A.M ( Scorb + NRS) the track Hash Brown on their album Efficient Chips, this statement doesn't surprise me much as, if i'm not wrong, Noisy Pipes is fond of NRS.
Come-back to this tune, after 6"00, we're reaching the final climax, getting more tense, anxious, aggressive & with metallic & highly sharpy tones which will make your flesh creep.

I So Late proves for those who wouldn't be yet convinced by the South African psytrance influences of Noisy Pipes. There's here 2 typical Timecode's leads for me which one i called the famous "Barking Lead" in a modified way & the "Shrill lead".
In this track through its dynamic, very punchy & nervous, & at the same time syncopated reinforced by the baseline especially at the beginning around 1"30, gives me a reminiscence of Computer Breath from Sun Project in a certain way.

How To Quiet Noisy Pipes has for main trick a kinda heavy siren for lead coupled with a smashier rhythmic than he delivers usually, same for the tempo, this one is also the fastest of the album, obviously the most dancefloor dedicated.

Cheers For Fears sounds less pleasant to my ears, the chosen tones are extremely noisy, indus & i have to admit, it's more complicated for me to bare them unfortunately (furthermore i find it more chaotic & less construct), the extreme sounds lovers will enjoy it for sure.

Dead Orchid is funny because of the bicycle's ring used as rhythmic. After the break (4"30), the tune gets to another dimension resulting more pumping, less harsh & the lead is purring. Maybe i've got a little frustration here with a false final which collapse instead of bursting...

Maybe The Exit, is a new downtempo break, less dark but not that much colourful by the way with a strong Hippy feeling, very floating focused on guitar.

Eponymous track of the album, Out Of Sync With This World, offers a new freestyle production, mid-tempo, very interesting & complicated in its structure without doubt the most experimental of the album. You like when it's unpolished? Perfect this is for you, so !

Heartbeat And Footsteps (All That's Left Now) is dark Indus-Breakbeat (midtempo) mainly with trembling shy ghost lead around 2"00, that's a funny contrast indeed . There's also highly sharply telegraph tones which will destroy immediately your few neurons alive .

Decay, is another dark midtempo experimental jewel with more classical influences (Drums, piano & violin) , more exactly it's an orchestral feeling like those you can encountered via some Juno Reactor's production in the Labyrinth album.

Orage such as Decay, ranges in this Orchestral compartment. The overwhelming rain sample from the orage is funny, it seems to be a Natural clap in an ecologic trick as conclusion of this album .

Swift Sum up =>
This album isn't a full experimental dark one,
it's not a full darkpsy one,
it's not a full Indus-EBM one,
it's not a full dark ambient one either;

Out Of Sync With This World is a mix of all this, if you were thinking, like me, that the darkpsy scene was getting immature, unproductive from the ideas view, it's the solution to demonstrate you there's still some true artistic potential in this scene.
Let just wish Noisy Pipes the success he deserves with his début album.

Recommended

Links:
Myspace artist http://www.myspace.com/noisypipes
Label http://www.sonicmotionrecords.com/

Shops
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/som/som1cd004.html
http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3013
http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=4853
http://www.teknasia.com/recherche.php?rech...htype=catalogue
http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...owDetail=218487
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7882           you can find easily all my psytrance & chill reviews on my blog at:
http://www.myspace.com/le_lotus_bleu
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Started Topics :  9
Posted : May 19, 2009 19:32
Thank you for the review.
Much appreciated

Some of your interpretations are not exactly what I meant to do in the first place but I can just agree with you and that's what is interesting with reviews.

Thumbs up!
Nico           Noisy Pipes - http://www.myspace.com/noisypipes
jem.b
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  34
Posted : Jun 10, 2009 21:01
good psyche ... i've seen it in live in paris this year and it was really good ... a good fusion between psyché trance and industrial punk influences.. lol ... explicit hardfloor music ..parental advisory           psychedelik music !
https://www.facebook.com/squazoidmusic
https://soundcloud.com/squazoid
atyss sonic
Atyss

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Jun 11, 2009 19:08
thanks so much for the review & your support !!!           www.sonicmotionrecords.com
www.soundcloud.com/atyss
www.facebook.com/atyssmusic
www.youtube.com/user/sonicmotionrecords
www.facebook.com/bonnieandclydemusic
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Posted : Jul 3, 2009 21:58
Hi,

It was about time for this website to be created and thrown on the net. Please visit the official Noisy Pipes' website: www.noisypipes.com.

Feel free to use the guest book (speak) section to post cool things.
Hope you'll enjoy that space,

Take care,
Nico

Noisy Pipes - http://www.myspace.com/noisypipes
Pierre-POF
Principles of Flight

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 4, 2009 11:48
This is one very good album here!
the downtempo indus tracks are just amazing, trent reznor can go back and play with his synths!

The fullon tracks are also very effective on the dancefloor and always find a perfect slot in our DJ sets!

Noisy Pipes : it slaps grandma's ass!
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jul 9, 2009 14:52
My review on Isratrance.com:

Alright, Sonic Motion Records is up again, this time with a new artist album. Noisy Pipes releases his debut, after a couple of compilation releases he deems himself ready to deliver. Well, let’s find out, shall we? Some more info for those that don’t know: Nicolas Zappa started Noisy Pipes 3 years ago after being involved for many years into rock and industrial music. No wonder then that the first track immediately engulfs you in a dark, brooding, and yes, industrial sounding intro to the story. After that it’s the usual stuff you would’ve expected from this guy after hearing some of his compilation releases. Lots of dark synths, atmospherics and a dark bass line and pretty dry kicks. But don’t think it’s all a bit slower and dark, because tracks like I So Late (T3) How to Quiet Noisy Pipes (T4), and Cheers for Fears with Triskell (T5), really have a party feeling to them, albeit night time partying. The whole album feels pretty dark, which is exactly what Nicolas wants us to experience obviously, so the album title rings true as well. His industrial roots spring through more than once too, especially near the end of the album, starting at Maybe the Exit (T7). Usually I’m not one for going through stuff track by track but I’ll give you a bird’s eye view of what this is all about. The opener, Crawling, Seeking is an ambient/industrial intro, No Transpose (T2) and Dead Orchid (T6) are more dark psytrance, a bit slower in bpm, though. Tracks 3-5, as I mentioned, are a bit faster and more party material. And from Maybe the Exit till the end things get industrial/ambient sounding again.

Recomendation: To like this, you certainly have to be open to industrial music, since a lot of the tracks on here are with this feel. The rest of it is dark night time psytrance with great kicks, percussion and bass lines. I’d recommend this to anyone that’s into diversity. I liked it and thought it’s a nice change from the regular stuff.

Link: http://www.isratrance.com/cd-reviews/noisy-pipes-out-of-sync-with-this-world-d1040.html           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
neuromantik
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jul 16, 2009 16:48
I'll just say firstly that it took me a while to digest this album, having listened to it for over a month while on vacation, played it for friends and partygoers (Bunker@LA), and I'd like to add that no ASCII review can properly do any type of music justice, so the best thing to do is to listen to it for yourself!!

Someone who knows Mr. Nicolas Zappa better than I already did a proper introduction so I'll dispense with the formalities and go straight to the meat

1. Things kick off with a downtempo rock-rythmic intro, sort of like revving and old mustang convertable, warming up the machinery and decorating the mood with a tinge of piano and grumbling guitar. Some interesting glitch/drum programming is done here, but let's be frank, this is really more of a teaser than a track N/A

2. I already did a review of the best dancefloor track on here @ http://forum.isratrance.com/va-hypnotwist-sonic-motion-records-2009/. I just say though that it's always nice for artists who decide to release the same track on 2 seperate mediums should always mix it up a bit, although I understand that if it works, don't change it!! 9/10 (-1 point off because I've listened to it to death)

3. 'I so late' is a relatively solid if a bit uninspired dancefloor stomper when compared to 'No Transpose'. It builds up slowly, throbbing bassline, distored snare, a somewhat binary hithat. By the 2' mark, the rythmic section begins to be decorated with some nervous syncopated synth work, the signature "bark", etc... My favorite part of this track is the breakdown @ 3' where it goes all indsutrial breaks mixed in with some ritualistic whispering samples, very effective in freaking me out, until after sharpening its knives, busts out again with the same agitated synths oscillating about. At this point this track is downright pumping along, pitching higher as it builds up until the next break at 4'20 to a pretty anticlimatic low-pass filtered standstill with some ping-pong ball just itching to be slapped aside After the track starts again this time more minimal with some interesting samples of slashes, male chorus, creaking doors, never forgetting that same nervous synth bobbing in and out of the tune, until things start to calm down until only until the throb of the bassline is left. All in all effective on the dancefloor but somewhat lacking for home listening. 6/10

4. 'How to quiet Noisy Pipes' is next up to bat, and starts off real nice with some very ominous strings and wind reminisent of a Hellraiser flick intro, followed by some diminished male chorus samples, but doesn't waste any time, this time with a very tech-trance feel. Personally I like long intros so I wouldn't have spat on a longer mood setter. Some weird somewhat slightly lewd sample surfaces and is mashed up for our pleasure ("I think you have a beautiful cunt dear" ), but unfortunately this track is littered with a very annoying "laser" reminiscent of some old hardcore rave music I thankfully gave up last decade.. It's too bad because the kick/snare is sick (I'm a fan of heavy snares) and well this track doesn't do much for me sitting at starbucks writing this but I'm sure will be a smasher on the floor. The fight isn't over because things pick up again at 6' with some great drum/snare programming shuffling about in true tech fashion, until that annoying "laser" (don't know what to call it) comes back but not for too long. Good progression, but next time let's dispense of the forced scifi samples and keep it tech to the bone 5/10 Note: If I'm not mistaken on the sample, are cunts what quiet Noisy Pipes?
          I don't use ideas. Every time I have an idea it's too limiting, and usually turns out to be a disappointment. But I haven't run out of curiosity. -RR
neuromantik
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jul 16, 2009 16:49
5. Next up is 'Cheers for Fears' (Great title btw ) and it is next to 'No Transpose' the best dancefloor track present. Things don't waste any time and Triskell's rolling kick/bassline combo can definetly be heard here, intermingled with the metallic sounds of Mr. Noisy Things start off great and the first break introduces the theme of the track, a very mysterious and minimal lead which is very catchy (I wistle it in the metro all the time ). Anyhow some odd sample sounding like a cocktail party from afar can be heard, with its amplitude cut up/modulated later in the track to very nice effect.. At the 2'30" mark things really kick up into 2nd gear with some great driving hit hats along with that same staccato party sample just bouncing along, the dancefloor at this point should be bouncing along in frenzy Scratching, whistling along, this tune is very simple and yet so effective. Bassline changes a bit in the middle, keeping the listener from some of the monotony heard earlier, and breaks nicely with a cute piano ornament every bar, some noise added for show, slowly and ineluctably building and building.... Bam, dust is kicking up again at 5'44" along with a tight snare/bassline/kick which sticks in there for a bit, until finally all is mixed in for a nice and fitting conlusion to this great minimal night stormer 8/10

6. 'Dead Orchid' follows and it's a brooding tech stomper, panning sighs, grumbling bassline Things progress in the strictest sense for the first 2' until the break, where things get really serious when a slamming industrial snare makes its introduction (seriously on a loud system it's very effective )... and then progress some more in typical tech-trance fashion, but with a hint of twilight (although no vanguard in sight thankfully).. There really isn't much to say about this stomper, it's just an in your face old Spirallianz sounding brooder... No wait, some form of electro-ish hook can be heard towards the end, nicely mixed with the kick/snare/bassline which doesn't relent in the slightest... The track is a little too linear for my home listening experience, but on the dancefloor it's a definite winner IMO 7/10

7. 'Maybe the Exit' is a transitionary dark ambient track reminiscing of Ah Cama Sotz/Sigur Ros earlier work, some really greatshoe gazer stuff here.. Lots of reverb, a wah-wahed guitar thrown in for good measure, this track is actually very beatufiul in a 90s grunge ambient sort of way A very faint whisper can be heard towards the end, is that you Nico? The track is only 3'30 long however, but it's really a mood setter and a sign of things to come 9/10

8. The title track 'Out of Sync with this World' (Very long album name I might add ), is simply put, and electro tinged industrial rock masterpiece which in my opinion rivals the production quality and effectiveness of the obvious reference here, Mr. Trent Reznor of NIN. Very clangorous in the beginning, a slow and sexy bass synth begins to echo combined with some minimal drum programming and some otherworldly pad permeating the room When I listen to this track, images of some Lynch film come to mind, and then the noize makes its introduction! Not too much, very catchy sawtooth riff and rhythm guitars talking to each other in turn, until finally at the end some really dark pads complete the track, although it would have been nice to develop this theme a little more.. Well I won't hide my bias that I'm a fan of this type of music, especially when I'm at home or sitting in a coffee shop 9/10 Great job! (Maybe Nico would think of remixing this tune with some vocals for his 3701 project <hint><hint> )

9. 'Heartbeat And Footsteps' is another downtempo industrialish tune which although blessed with the same production quality as its massive predecessor, lacks a story and direction and really should be listened as one does while listening to a movie sound byte. Same rock rhythm arrangements, distorted bleeps + sweeps, really it is a nice tune but would probably benefit to have some vocals thrown in or else in the background of some commercial for edible undergarments I don't know 6/10

10. 'Decay' is the first in the pair of downtempo tracks I've been looping in my ipod while walking about.. It's mellow, melancholic ambient track which oddly feels like a less commercial version of Rob D's "Clubbed to Death"... It's cool because in the midst of the very heavy rock style kick, one can hear the clicking of a zippo lighter (to me that is), some subtle yet effective string pads, plucking of something acoustic; it's really very intricate despite the minimal feel... Towards the end a very nice but a little underutilized piano sample creeps in adding some more tension, it's actually a shame the ornament doesn't vary just a tad little more... But all in all, very nice track for listening and for fxxking 8/10

11. 'Orage' is the final track on here, and it's very romantic in true gothic fashion (actually the only gothic tune on here).. Personally I dig samples of anything to do with the elements (rain, wind, thunder), it adds tension, establishes a mood, and breaks away from the synthetic nature of what trance really is, and combined with some beautiful strings and droning yet delicate piano, the overall result is very organic, melancholic, and way too short!!! IMO Orage could have been an amazing intro to a 10' long gothic ambient dronefest but as a fleeting storm, it moves along and all that's left is silence... 9/10

As was previously mentioned, a certain open mind for different genres of music is required to appreciate OFSWTW. Anyone who is a fan of crossovers (ie. music which isn't stricly limited to one style) such as Holeg's Notinism (highly recommended!!) should DEFINITLY grab this. Anyone else should do themselves a favor and listen to some of the references I mentioned, THEN quickly buy this album while supplies last           I don't use ideas. Every time I have an idea it's too limiting, and usually turns out to be a disappointment. But I haven't run out of curiosity. -RR
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Posted : Jul 20, 2009 21:12
Thank you guys for the new reviews!

@Neuromantik: glad to hear that somebody tried to get laid to my music. But my question is, did she actually enjoy it too?

See ya!
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Posted : Aug 4, 2009 23:23
Just to inform you that the 2nd publication of Kikked magazine is available and features an interview with Noisy Pipes...
Check it out: http://kikked.com/
(free to consult online by clicking the flash screen)

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Noisy Pipes - Out of Sync with this World (Sonic Motion rec cd 04 / 2009)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance