Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Multistate - Collaborating With Machines (Timecode) (c) 2006
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Multistate - Collaborating With Machines (Timecode) (c) 2006

Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jan 26, 2007 16:28
Artist: Multistate
Album: Collaborating With Machines
Label: Timecode Records
Released: November 2006
Cover: (front) http://www.juno.co.uk/covers/246854-01-front.htm
Cover: (back) http://www.juno.co.uk/covers/246854-01-back.htm

Tracklist:

1. Clear V.3.0
2. Bipolar
3. Silver
4. Sharp
5. Prosthetic
6. Windup
7. Roberta Sparrow
8. Nefarious
9. Colour Collapse
10. Close-up

The review:

Ok, I finally got around to putting some words to paper about this one. Track by track it is then.

Track 1: We start off with a sample, percussion comes in almost immediately and the acidic swirling sits softly in the background before the bassline and kick come in. It slowly evolves into a quite standard track, at least you think that until the break at 3:48 when a nice little melody comes in. Reminds me of carnivals for some reason. Anyway, from there on the track explodes into colors until the end. A strong opener.

Track 2: Starts with sampling, builds up and turns into another straightforwards south-african psytrance style track. Some nice working sampling in this one and an overall good atmosphere. Around the 5 minute mark the track comes in with what could be called the main lead. A break follows and after that it slams home with madness until the end. Nice track.

Track 3: Starts with stuttering samples, quickly followed by a nervous little bassline. Standard Multistate kinda kick and we're off again. These guys don't do long intro's Anyway, a solid track again with a really good drive. This kind of bassline together with the synths is precisely what I like in south-african psytrance. Good stuff.

Track 4: Starting like it's a break in a song, with pads and a muffled beat looping in the background. The bassline quickly kicks in again and we're off once again for another Multistate track Moves along nicely and after an insane break at around 5:00 again the track rounds off in an insane manner. Nice track once again.

Track 5: Starts off immediately with bassline and kick, has some nice sampling going on, good work on the breaks and it has lots of those. Great synths at 3:09 Well, what's more to say? Ends wicked again. Another great track.

Track 6: A bit longer on the intro-side this time. At around 50 seconds a bassline comes in, a wicked one that is... Stuttering sampling again and we're off for another journey provided by Multistate. Love the acidlines in this one. Great buildup too. Nice use of kinda C64 synths around 4:50. I'm liking that a lot. Another great track, can these guys do no wrong??

Track 7: Starts off with some droning noise which gets swept away and a bassline and kick come in. Uses sampling to good effect again and the occassional atmospheric stuff does this track good. Quite a good track again actually. So far there have been no downers, so this album is shaping up real nice.

Track 8: Roberta Sparrow. Hmm... the name rings some bells. Wasn't that a character in Donnie Darko? Anyway, starts off pretty atmospheric and kicks loose with some (gasp!) breakbeats. It's only temporary however. The track continues with a solid kick and a deep bassline again. After a while we hear some Donnie Darko samples (surprise) and it's off with some nice standard south-african madness. A solid track once more.

Track 9: On to the shortest track of the album. Starts off with some dark pads, quite eerie. Slower and with a heavier kick this is a good way to create some diversity. Dark atmospheres and a clock sample near the end. Nice track.

Track 10: And then we're on to the last one. The samples from the earlier track return in this one, so this is clearly meant as a continuation on that theme. And it works out really nice. Faster, more agressive and it's a stomper again for sure. Great use of melodies in this one as well.

Conclusion: Well, one thing's for sure, this is a stormer if ever there was one. By god those tracks rule. I played the whole album from start to finish and never once got bored or thought: hey, that could've been so much better if... No, this is a stellar effort. Can't pick any faves here, I like all the tracks. Trust me, if you're even remotely into artists like Shift and Twisted System for instance, you need to get this. Thumbs up to the Multistate guys and to Timecode Records for releasing this gem.

Listen to samples here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tcc/tcc1cd018.html
http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6204           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Jan 26, 2007 17:29
hey track 8 isnt nefarious and not roberta sparrow? have u switched them around or something by mistake? anyways, this is a great album. just about all the tracks are stand outs especially nefarious, sharp, silver, close up and roberta sparrow. big boom to multistate and timecode, and also great review .
-angad           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jan 26, 2007 18:13
Yep, they're mixed up here. Track 8 is Roberta Sparrow and track 7 is Nefarious. It says so on the back of the cd and I copied the list from Psyshop. They obviously mixed them up. Sorry!           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
sundrop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Jan 26, 2007 20:29
I love Prosthetic... that tune rocks!!!

My only complaint about this album is the front CD design. It looks a little wimpy... but inside is powerful crazy beats!
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Jan 26, 2007 20:31
Time code recds has released some killerr shit man.
Was listining to this album loud ,each and every track fenced my body .. swords commin out of the speaker and slaughterin my body .
very powerfull and Intense musik from multistate ..pure acid musik.
after listining to this album I get an idea whats gonna happen on the floor when he plays his set hehee...
realy enjoyed this album a loot...specially these trax "Bipolar,silver,sharp,prosthetic,nefarious,roberta sparrow, close up"are my fav in this album
kudos to timecode recds and multistate for releasing this monster bar !           0x00000PSy
Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Jan 27, 2007 06:35
first things first....

i love this album.....imo multistates style is tuning out as the best i have heard from south africa.... any release from them seems to be top notch....

i enjoyed every track from this album....i was quite nervous to hear clear v3 the frist track of the album coz sometimes u expect too much from an album or artist and the first track u hear from an antiscipated album really does the quirk in ur mind.....but hey the track was jes the way i hoped it would be.....what crystal clear thumps woww...

liked Roberta Sparrow a lott but a little bit confused there.....well this sounds like a remix or what ever of the track released on nexus earlier in midnight storm 2 the track name there was "gramma death" and now its roberta sparrow.....the only connecting feature apart from the music is that both roberta sparrow and gramma death are the same person in "Donnie Darko" but i am sorta confused whether it was actually a remix or did they make another one which ended up sounding almost like the first one....

eitherways i like the album.....

top notch
hallucinator
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Jan 27, 2007 15:14
this is TIME CODE

i love every treat from them

btw.. multistate.. no way boring album

killah stuff guys !

love ya all           Hallucinated Neighbour / Silent Existence
http://www.ektoplazm.com/label/silent-existence
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Jan 27, 2007 18:07
going to listen to it after such a review! thanks acidhive!           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jan 29, 2007 03:29
supah review!
love this project. album left me fully satisfied
kudos to timecode and god bless the deep psychedelic sounds of south african music

Favs: 1!!, 2!, 3!,4!, 6!, 7!,8!!

Ormion
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Feb 14, 2007 01:26
Extremelly well done release!!!
It's SA so it can't be bad, so it's a great cd.
Really psychedelic full on with crazy effects and clear production. I love all the tracks but my fav is Nefarious!

8.5-9/10!
psychs_peeco(-:[johnny]
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Feb 19, 2007 01:51
a good one for shure....

intresting and well build...
great project...

the kind of psychedelic south african music thet i like..

well done
keep up timecode.
and good luck to u Multistate

hope to see u here in the holly land

cheers..
katam
Abomination

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Feb 19, 2007 01:57
awesome album from two awesome guys!!.
the baker from the south and gerrardo oliviera de santos a.k.a Greg and Gerrard have really put in some effort into it and you can hear it in their album...I absolutely agree wih acidhives review...spot on
All the best to the both of you
Eyal
Fright_Rate
Fright Rate

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Feb 19, 2007 11:10
killer stuff guys. im a big fan
Adigroovy
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Feb 19, 2007 12:22
It´s been like a week I am listening to this album, and have to say after a few times it got better and better. great stuff again from SA           to use your head you have to go out of your mind
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 03:45
I love anything Timecode puts out and buy it immediately upon release. This was an absolute STORMER! Between this, Tickets effort and Abominations album, well you might not have any braincells left. Functioning ones anyway.

Awesome.

Mdk
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Multistate - Collaborating With Machines (Timecode) (c) 2006

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance