Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Miranda - Rerecorded (Why Not , 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Miranda - Rerecorded (Why Not , 2004)

moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Jan 30, 2005 00:21
1. Le passage 2004
2. Phenomena 2004
3. Eyedentify 2004
4. Gnocchi 2004
5. Somewhere out there 2004
6. Subtropical forest 2004
7. Keep calm 2004
8. Spacebaby 2004

So the queen of trance is at it again I was REALLY curious about this one cause Miranda has been one of the pioneers of oldschool goa as well as one of the starters of the progressive/ minimal trend... so would she return to the trend of making more melodic tracks with some oldschool influences? Would she continue doing progressive? Would she make something more commercial-trance oriented?

Well, neither actually... with this album she creates a very unique progressive/ tribal atmosphere, I don't think there is anything else out there that could compare to this style. Also I must say that I find the choice of album concept questionable because in spite of bringing already-known names, all the tracks sound COMPLETELY different to the originals (the best you can get is hearing a small little hint of the original track...).

Actually I chose to wait much more than I'd usually do before reviewing this one. Why? Simply because it was so different to other releases that I simply couldn't make up my mind if I liked it or not... I guess that at first my expectation of seeing a "return to oldschool" album kindof ruined it for me... since there wasn't a hint of oldschool in it, I was actually pretty dissapointed with it. But then it just grew on me. Now I can say that this truly is one of my fave 04 albums!

All the tracks have a very similar drive: inspired by progressive but somehow more dynamic, albeit rather linear... sound confusing? well it is, like I said I can't really compare it to other releases out there...

Le Passage starts with the familiar "zulu chant" (which BTW was also used in the early 90s by another artist recording in Sweden: Dr. Alban...). The track brings us into the typical flow of the album: slowly progressing drift, not much melody yet pretty dynamic background... also the kick that you'll here here will be almost IDENTICAL all throughout the whole album! Still, it's a nice deep kick so I don't mind that much It's more of an intro track than an actual stand-alone track (and i must say that it does the job nicely for that)

Phenomena brings some interesting arabic chants and a very mystical intro and DJEMBES!!! The track sounds really tribal, very much like Etnoscope - Sunrise which is one of my all-time favorite morning tracks so needless to say that I REALLY liked this one!! But there's a track that's even better than this later on... stay tuned

Eyedentify is more into "typical" progressive territory, I must say that I found this one together with the intro track as the less inspired ones here...

Gnocchi brings back the nature sounds (although no djembés in this one ) and.... 303s!!! the acid line kicks into around 3:30 and stays with you all through the track. A definate treat for the fans of the greatest electronic instrument ever made Still, don't think that because a 303 is used that it will sound anything remotley like oldschool... actually it reminded me more of old acid techno tracks. Still, the progression is in the typical style of the album, and the 303 itself has a pretty unique pitch. I like this track too (but I could've gone with some djembés though...)

Somewhere out there brings a sound that's VERY imilar to the one in Eyedentify so it almost sounds like "Eyedentify 2004 Pt. II"... although this time around the background is much more dynamic (but still the rather linear overall progression). Generally this track creates a feeling of building up to something with even more layers... and it does cause after that comes...

Subtropical Forest THEEEEE best track here!!! This is the track I said was even better than Phenomena . It starts out with the "karate flute" (because that flute was used over and over again in old karate movies, I'm sure you'll recognize it when you'll hear it), and a LOT of parots in the background, I'm sure that if you listen to this one while on acid, you'll look over your shoulder too see if some parots aren't there... freaky Then the parot noises are sampled and become part of the percussion. Then there's a general mystical and even a bit of a "scary" atmosphere... you can just feel that the track will build up to something good. Then a very dynamic line kicks in around 3:00 which just takes you up and up to the next line that's even more dynamic around 3:30... by then if you haven't jumped from your chair to dance (or at least start noding your head to the rythm) then there's something wrong with you . And then it kicks in at 4:15: a VERY nice melody (actually the ONLY one on the album that reminds a bit of the oldschool vibe). But it doesn't stop there, if it did then this would only get the rating of "good but not great"... around min 5:00 when you think Miranda's out of tricks there a break and some djembés come in. The tribal feeling contributes to the general feeling of being in a... subtropical forest And then it just starts building up again: the dynamic synth lines, the djembés and tha dreamy melody. Oh maaaaaan I really really like this one!! One of my absolute fave 2004 tracks!!! Tribal morning trance at it's best

Keep Calm is great if you like psy with spanish influences... personally I'm not a big fan of flamenceo and psy crossovers... although I must say that the track is nice.

Then comes Spacebaby which is kind of a let down (but then again it's the closing track so...). It's the most repetitive track here, sounds more like some speeded-up and dynamic techno (kindof like the 3D Vision stuff), still there are some djembés in this one too

Conclusion proof that old artists can still do good stuff that aren't a mediocre repetition of their older stuff that made their glory and aren't a mediocre attempt to make "trendy" psytrance either!!! Actually now that I think of it, Miranda has been the ONLY oldschool artist that hasn't dissapointed me latley... keep it coming The general tribal feeling of the album is REALLY great. Also, cheers to an artist that still makes coherent albums: the meoldies in here are chosen to "build up" a story, it's not just a collection of 8 tracks that have no connection between them. And of course, I bow in front of someone who still believes in the use of 303s in the 21st century The only bad side is the choice of track names: why lead the audience to believe that this will bring back the "old Miranda sound" when the vibe is completely new? It may cause people to not like it at first simply because their expecations were not met (as it was the case for me, but continue listening to it, it WILL grow on you ) 9/10

“I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.”

Charles M. Schulz
Nemco

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jan 31, 2005 03:47
I'm looking forward to it... While I was unaware of this album being on it's way, I do like the sound of the Miranda's older stuff...           To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them! - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Miranda - Rerecorded (Why Not , 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance