Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Miraculix - The Arrival (Alchemy 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Miraculix - The Arrival (Alchemy 2004)

moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Oct 9, 2004 11:20
1. The chosen one
2. Scary things
3. Hold them back
4. Blow it up
5. Eclipse
6. Defend the base
7. Search and destroy
8. Diablo
9. They have arrived

First of all, I have to admit that to this date I've STILL never gave Detonator a listen *bows his head in shame*. So I can't compare this to his debut album... I say this mainly because I've heard some people say that compared with the 1st album this was a major dissapointment. Well, for me this is one of the better albums of the year! It's night pumping trance with a lot of scary spooky atmospheres.

In The Chosen One Miraculix has also put in that epic-feeling during breakdowns à la The Misted Muppet (this is really becoming a trand these days...) but here the overall feeling is much darker. But contrary to The Misted Muppet, Miraculix didn't use this trick in EACH of his tracks.

Scary Things has an even darker atmosphere with a scary sample "Have you ever had a dream where everything seemed so real that once you wake up it's not a dream. It's reality. There is nothing you can do about it." That would sure scare me shitless if I heard it during a night set while tripping hard... Although this track is more on the minimal side, it has less melodies so I don't like it as much.

Hold Them Back is less dark, more party-oriented. Near the end it has some nice 303s, kindof reminds me of oldschool.

Blow it up is the one I like lease on this album, it has a dark melody but it's kindof childish, reminds me a bit of 1200 Mics - WWW

Eclipse has an interesting synth melody which is followed by the bassline (kindof like in Etnica - VCO ) I like that effect, and then some spooky melodies come in during the second half of the track. Although as a whole, this track isn't really one of my favorites either.

Defend the Base ahh this one's more to my liking, it feels more powerfull than the other tracks till here (which doesn't mean that the others aren't dancefloor oriented, just that this one is even more powerfull than the others). The track begins with a sample :"Security has been breached. All system alert" then a stylish alarm goes on (not the rave type, it's really interesting). Then it slowly builds up around that alarm noise. The breaks are really neat in this one, I like the melodies a lot. This one also reminded me of The Misted Muppet's style: there are nice melodies during the breaks, but they don't continue once the bass picks up. That's a bit dissapointing.

Search and Destroy is a complete change from the rest of the album: this is morning style, with a LOT of oldschool influences. Need I say that it's my favorite track here?

Diablo turns back with a bit of darkness although it's lighter than the other tracks before Search and Destroy. It has a nice melodic bassline, although a bit simplistic. Kindof reminds me of the "usual" full-on.

They Have Arrived is the mandatory downtempo track... and not a very good one... personally I could've done without... Sounds like a normal track played with the pitch at -15%.

Conclusion one of the better albums of the year without being exceptional either. I haven't listened to Detonator so I can't compare it to his preveious stuff (I've heard people say that this is a big dissapointement when compared to the debut album). Sometimes it sounds really good, other times it's a bit simplistic. But it's defintley dancefloor-oriented so I guess that even the more simpler tracks will work well in a DJ set. 8/10
faves: 1 (!), 3, 6, 7 (!!)
Nemco

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 9, 2004 15:54
Well I've never heard Detonator either... the first track I heard from Miraculix must have been Bad Dream, which made me look to this album and buy it.

Basically I like it, there's some good stuff on here, not too happy and shiny, but nice and dark.           To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them! - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Oct 9, 2004 21:57
Personaly i like this album more then hes debute, this has some fresh stuff carying alot of dark moments and as moondancer say even some oldschool "goaish" sometimes ==)
well my personal fav´s in this cd will be:

Blow it up
&
Search And Destroy

Great jobb MiraculiX!!
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Feb 26, 2005 16:28
one of the better albums of the year without being exceptional either
2 moondancer: If you still haven't heard the first album I strongly recomend you to do this. And if your words are true and you liked Arrival I'm sure that Detonator you would like much more. As our tastes in other artists and overall the scene are often the same i think you would not be dissapointed In my eyes Arrival just uncooked Detonator.           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 4, 2005 23:37
I also must bow my head in shame as I have not heard Detonator. I want to buy it but it is always out of stock at Saiko.

I am listening to the Arrival now and here is what I think:

The Chosen One
It has a nice eerie pad in the beginning and then another futuristic moment around the 2 and a half minute mark. I like the way it all fits together. This is dark, people. I like the scary melody at the 5 and a half minute mark.

Scary Things
I like the atmospherics in this track and the sample is very frightening. But I like melody and I feel this track is a little too slow and short on melody.

Hold Them Back
I like the melody in this track, it gives a sense of impending doom. It picks up and just drives the point home. Good job!

Blow It Up
Good melody at the 3:23 mark but otherwise nothing spectacular. If the melody at the end didn't take so long to get here, I think it would be better.

Eclipse
oi...this is just a mess. No real direction, just kind of thrown together. My least favorite track, it gets no play.

Defend The Base
Aside from the annoying siren and the corny robot voice, this track has some BEAUTIFUL pads. I also like the bits of psychedelia. But again, this track just doesn't bring consistent energy until the end.

Search and Destroy
This track has a wonderful "goa-like" lead and really gets you going. Then the Psy takes over and keeps the energy high. The break keeps the dark feel alive and throws you right back into the groove.

Diablo
This track has a haunting melody and an overpowering bassline. Good, driving beat and the peripheral sounds add to the futuristic feel. I could do without the cheesy vocal sample, however.

They Have Arrived
I will tell you what has arrived...that annoying lead sound. I agree with the last reviewer, it sounds as though this was intended to be a faster version, but it was slowed down. I think he should have left it the way it was.

Final Result
There is so much potential here. Sometimes it felt like he didn't know where he wanted to take the song. The sounds on the whole are great and I think Miraculix knows how to place them to create an atmosphere, but the energy is not low but it isn't high either. Personally, I like full-on and was expecting dark, melodic morning full-on psy-trance. IF this is what you are looking for, look elsewhere. 6/10.

This was my first review and I hope that you don't batter me to badly.

mdk
Freeflow
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Mar 6, 2005 04:27
Im biased so i wont give a review, but all i can say is that i think this album holds plenty of energy!

Favorites are:

Search And Destroy

Blow it up

Eclipse

Diablo

good job thomas, Good luck with the new studio!

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Miraculix - The Arrival (Alchemy 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance