Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Minimal Criminal - Minimus Maleficarum (Cosmic Conspiracy Rec) 11/2010
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Minimal Criminal - Minimus Maleficarum (Cosmic Conspiracy Rec) 11/2010

kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : May 3, 2011 20:46:01
Artist: Minimal Criminal
Album: Minimus Maleficarum
Label: Cosmic Conspiracy Records
D.O.R: 11/2010

Where to buy:

https://www.beatport.com/de-DE/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=17f1&a486-index=3

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_artist.asp?artist_id=5498

http://www.beatspace.com/6029/Cosmic+Conspiracy+Records/MINIMAL+CRIMINAL/minimus+maleficarum/detail.aspx

Websites:

http://cosmicconspiracy-records.com/

http://www.myspace.com/cosmicconspiracyrecords/photos/2819548#!/cosmicconspiracyrecords

Tracklist:

1. Reefer and Barbeue Part 2: Bad Ass Weed
2. Extraterrestrial Turkey
3. Travel Through Space
4. Alice in Acidland
5. Fright Night
6. Worship of Blood
7. Sabado Negro
8. Tobor
9. Derma 28

As I found no review on this and read a request, I decided to write a few words on this album, even if a few months have passed since release. „Minimus Malificarum“ is the debut album of the well known Minimal Criminal project, which consists of the duo Valerio Zyhin and Bruno Echoes. As Djs and producers they have been rocking the Brazilian and international scene for many years, therefore their anticipated first full album release was only question of time – a production that has been almost four years in the making. The Minimal Criminal´s sound carries many influences, I believe cinematic minimal prog would be a fitting description, but throughout the album many different sonic roots can be identified, including a definite affection for creaky tech-trance as some of you may remember from around the turn of the century. In my opinion a key charactersitic of the sound, as I will mention on several occasions later on, is the use of cinematic elements in the tracks to forge a deep atmosphere that always seems to have a story to tell, leading the listener through the experience like a movie script, with twists and turns, intrigue and humor waiting to errupt over the predominantly somber beats and techy percussions.

At times a similarity can be drawn with the first ventures into the realms of „cinematic trance“, I think a term that I first heard in the late ninenties in conjuction with tech trance albums like „Spirallianz – Blast Food“ or even early The Delta. Of course we are in a new century and decade, and the Minimal Criminal sound comes along in its unique and modern dress, but I would definetly suspect a certain love and affection from these influences, although the sound is much more smooth and proggy in general. In the sound I could also hear many influences from the techy-tribal, often glitchy new generation of Australian prog that has been rocking the floors worldwide since quite a while, which is not suprising the collaboration and contact with artists from that region of our beautiful planet.

The debut album has found its comfortable and natural home on Cosmic Conspiracy Records, which has featured Minimal Criminal tracks in the past. I wrote a review of the last V.A. On this label here:

http://forum.isratrance.com/v-a-geek-mythology-cosmic-conspiracy-rec-2010/

Reading it may give you a better impression of the style this label represents if you are not familiar with their previous releases. Cosmic Conspiracy records has had some great psy-prog releases in the past, featuring the cream of the crop of contemporary bad-ass psychedelic prog.

Onto the album – the tracks range between 128 and 138 BPM.

Reefer and Barbeue Part 2: Bad Ass Weed familiarizes the listener with the general vibe of the album, which hovers in what I would call a realm of „dark comic cinematics“. The track oozes a general mellowness and laid back lounge atmosphere, something that reminded me a bit of some of Radioactive.Cake´s work at times (Manila Envelope for example). The samples and cinematic cuts have a distinct retro touch that create a funky and contrasting atmosphere in combination with the minimal beats and break beatish sequences. Lovers of Zenon sound and Australian/NZ style prog should feel very welcome and comfortable in this sonic zone. For me, this is a great opening track that conveys the atmosphere just as the title promises, a lazy, stoned, psychedelic day out – groovy semi-clouded skies with compulsory stabs of wierdness. The Barbie has certainly been fired up well before this tune is over – and just in case what happened to Part 1....it was the projects first release in 2005 on the V.A. Intelligent Manipulation (Zenon Rec).

Extraterrestrial Turkey continues the flow in a more tribal manner, again counting on numerous cinematic samples/B-Movie infused retro vibes to set the atmosphere. The track rapidly evolves into a driving progressive stomper which, in line with the general theme of the album, strikes a balance between somber techish beats, dark(ish) atmosheres and trademark reoccuring comic wierdness.

Travel through Space comes across slightly less stompy with more focus on minmalism and intricate percussion work, atmospherically we are moving further into the night with a a huge portion of growl and grit.There is alot of micro-groovyness inside the general night-prog vibe, heavily infused with science fiction sounscapes. Through the use of the plentiful cinematic sequences, each of the tracks have a story to tell - clearly the producers are big movie fans and build alot of their tracks around these sequences as narrative elements to spice up the flavor to the development of the tales they weave.

Amongst already strong tracks, Alice in Acid really stood out for me - dark progressive at its very best imho. The trip down this rabbit hole is definetly rewarding – this hole, which is actually more like an abyss in this case, goes as deep as the Minimal Criminal´s sound itself. Insanly entrancing and shifting moods and atmospheres in dramatic fashion. Again, hiding in between the somber and twisted night vibes we can detect plenty of humour and subtle funkyness, and a large chunk of psychedelic elements and intent, which is something which is missing from alot of „psy“ prog releases these days (imo).

Fright Night winds the effects and grit down a notch putting emphasis on the cool and grim-mooded tech groove, which picks up the tempo a little bit, but develops more patiently and sparingly than some of the previous tracks. I would call this „spooky minimalism“ - psychedlic micro rythms and immense love for detail in the percussion department are haunted by ghostly atmosphere snippets. Another great track which could easily sit in any darkish prog set.

Worship of blood is perhaps one of the most melodic and epic tracks on the album, drenched in dark atmosphere and horror samples, without stepping over the line of cheese which is often a danger with such endeavours. As previously mentioned, the dedicated use of cinematic elements and themes play an enormous part in giving this release its unique character. In this track we find a great example of this in the dramatic break down and atmospheric section. The ambience never seems forced or cliched, and is often interrupted by suprising light hearted elements, underlining that everything is expressed with a wink of an eye. One of my favorites!

The last 3 tracks take a slower direction and imo display increased affection for minimal techno elements.

Sabado Negro slows things down a fair bit, rolling along at 131 BPM, but keeps the cemetary-at-midnight vibe alive at first with haunting pads and oddball vocal samples, later the mood shifts as it comes to life with a looped distorted riff which points the track in a fresh direction. I found the riff element to loop for too long though, making the track a little boring after a while in my ears. Didnt like this as much as the other tracks this far,

The album tempo continues to wind down with Tobor, with tricky minimalistic tech beats infused with tribal attitude and a hint of electro-esque vibes. Took me a while to appreciate but has grown on me, especially the last third of the track. Something I would not have been suprised to hear on something like V.A. Small Talk (Zenon), although this is more lively and psychedlic imo.

Derma 28 is a final mellowish trip, contributing some sunny moods and lightening up the atmosphere while bringing the album to a relaxed close in a positive mood with some spiritual voice snippets and airy break sections adding some more atmospheric variety to the mix.

Conclusion

I had heard several Minimal Criminal tracks on compilations before (Tao of Yoda, Dark Lord of the Synth, Zuzupazuzu) so I had a fair idea what to expect, and I was definetly not dissapointed. Very deep, hypnotic and oozing atmospheric goodness from start to finish. Epic at times and masterfully executed, although I enjoyed the final three tracks less than the rest. I could clearly hear the love and attention to detail that went into this long awaited album. Excellent minimalistic, cinematic prog with an affinity for the dark side and twisted atmospheres,infused with groovy comedy, as we have come to expect from Cosmic Conspiracy Rec. Keeping prog psychedelic! Props to everyone involved and hope to hear more of the Brazilian criminals in future.

Favorite tracks: 1, 4, 5, 6
klaxer
Koan / Vacuum Stalkers

Started Topics :  11
Posted : May 9, 2011 13:39
Very good album! My 2010 favorite
zhyin
Minimal Criminal

Started Topics :  43
Posted : May 10, 2011 14:54
thank u so much,Kazuku!!! what a review! talk to me on facebook..valerio zhyin           www.myspace.com/minimalcriminal
www.minimal-criminal.com
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : May 10, 2011 15:10
Nice review...

I like the album alot, both dark and mellow!

Keep it up!           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
saintcarl

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 10, 2011 23:18

Reefer and Barbeue Part 2: Bad Ass Weed is great track and one of my favorite pass times

Also dig the sabbath tune.
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : May 11, 2011 20:15
Nice review was definetly needed.
Great album, one of the best of 2010 for me. "Cinematic" is a good word describing the sound Kazuku. nice stories throughout the album.
current fav track: alice in acidland           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : May 30, 2011 08:53
Outstanding album! I totally recommend it.
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Jun 25, 2011 18:33
Sturdy Minimal, very good!           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
minimal_criminal
Minimal Criminal

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jul 9, 2011 06:31
hey kazuku now i see the album with other eyes, i like more my music after this review, thanks a lot ...
kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Jul 26, 2011 10:15

Keep up the great sound bro
shamanizer

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 26, 2011 12:56
Its been ages since I bought any albums (btw I don't download), but after listening songs of this album in youtube I had to order this. I like the sound very much.
zhyin
Minimal Criminal

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Aug 3, 2011 17:28
thanx shamanizer for ordering the album. much appreciated!           www.myspace.com/minimalcriminal
www.minimal-criminal.com
cray3
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Aug 26, 2011 08:18
Very innovative and original album and also the most underrated album..surely deserves more attention.

--------
</cray3>
Radio Schizoid
http://www.schizoid.in
Alanita

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 30, 2011 06:24
i was waiting this album for years!
im really glad about this great work from Minimal Criminal...
for me is one of the best projects in this style and i dont get tired of listen!
congratulations Valerio and Bruno, keep doing this and been such a great influence!
and thank you CCR, for support unique projects like this one!
Carbuncle

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Oct 29, 2011 10:36
very nice album!
keep up the good work valerio )
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Minimal Criminal - Minimus Maleficarum (Cosmic Conspiracy Rec) 11/2010

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance