Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Mind Rewind (DAT Mafia Recordings, 2011)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Mind Rewind (DAT Mafia Recordings, 2011)

Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Sep 2, 2011 18:40:54
Mind Rewind

DAT Mafia Recordings, 2011

CD 1

1. Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Kwo-Ne She (Original Unreleased Version)
2. Deflo - Salt Lake
3. Doof - Mars Needs Women (Just 3 Words Mix)
4. Etnichaos - The Other Side Of Reality
5. Dimension 5 - Ganymede (Guitar Mix)
6. Infinite Zen - Friends From Tau-Ceti
7. Etnica - Shadow Dance
8. Slinky Nuns - Caught In The Zipper
9. Zerotonine - Two Faces
10. Blue Planet Corporation - High NRG

CD 2

1. Joti & Ofer - Untitled
2. Total Eclipse & Simon Posford - Sound Is Solid (Remix)
3. Graham & Serge - The Full Monty
4. The Muses Rapt - Mediums Of Trance
5. PsyChaos - Return Voyage (2-1)
6. Mushroomman - N.I.S.
7. Uni-Vers Concept - Phase One
8. Electric Universe - Rain (Original Unreleased Version)
9. Aural Planet - Changing My Mind
10. North Central Positronics - The Great Bear

Rewind your mind. This is the main premise of a highly interesting release from DAT Mafia Recordings. "Who are they?" - one will ask. This loosely knitted collective consists of, surprise surprise, 32 people, including the likes of Mars, Draeke, Anoebis, Colin Bennun, Gizmex and many more. They are psytrance fans who established a cooperation together through Discogs, pulling all necessary strings to bring into daylight old and forgotten tracks from very well known artists who had undoubtedly contributed to the scene. This compilation is the result of their activities. Both CDs are full of previously non-released music (with the exception of "Sound Is Solid (Remix)", "Phase One" and "The Great Bear", which were released years ago only on vinyl), which instantly teleports the listener to the times where the magical element of these vibes reached possibly the highest point when it comes to its concentration per every minute of a track. The people we are going to deal with here are indeed some of the highest order. One look at the tracklist says it all: 100% epic. One can stumble upon the likes of Simon Posford, Green Nuns, Etnica, Electric Universe, Total Eclipse or Aural Planet. Artists were are still going to be remembered for many years to come, in contrast to many other who have their proverbial five minutes, but who will fade away in time compared to the immortal giants and their timeless music. It is a materialization of tracks which circled in the memories of goa-freaks or on old digital audio tapes until this very moment.

It is not only a real treat for a collector, but also a refined portal into the past. Thanks to it the far away times seem to be happening right now. The release is sure to awake a goa-geek hidden in many of us, bringing back the still-living memories, when we held compilations like "Goa-Head" in our hands, listened to releases marked with Dragonfly Records, Flying Rhino Records and TIP Records logos, or attended our first trance parties, dominated by "weird music" and unique decorations showered with ultraviolet light. Everything laced with a hard-to-define omnipresent element, which makes it all a remarkable experience, not only taking our minds off everyday life, but also taking us off the ground. We have 20 tracks here, 20 rare tracks to be precise, deeply rooted in the realm of oldschool goa/psychedelic trance. The richness of this all-you-can-eat buffet leaves one enchanted. Many top names of the psychedelic trance scene speak for themselves. One has to admit that the compilation's creators managed in most cases to hold onto some mighty fine gems. How can someone be indifferent to the never-released-before versions of tracks by Green Nuns, Doof or Electric Universe? Their new sonic clothes fit them really well. "Rain" grasps you by the heart with its convincing atmosphere of electronic rain and goa-nostalgy, making us also regret that Blenn turned to cheesy full-on for masses in the recent years. Slinky Nuns? Yes, please! Yum. It is also worth directing your receptors at bombs delivered by Etnica, Psychaos and Oforia. "Shadow Dance" by the Italian masters easily shows who was running the goa-world years ago. The similar case is with their cooperative tune made together with Joti Sidhu called "The Other Side Of Reality", where the artists give as a drifting track with an edge, while "No Name" delivered by Joti and Ofer is a thick, metallic goa-monster packed with isra-energy. Another positive side of this release is the new version of an old hit by Dimension 5, a group I consider to be among the most essential for the goa trance genre. I whole-heartedly advise you to check out the collaboration track made by Graham Wood from The Infinity Project and Serge (Total Eclipse) called "The Full Monty". It is an immensely hypnotic, 12-minute odyssey dipped in the mystery of cosmic oblivion, crafted in a progressing and consistent way from its first moments. This is how you create deep and absorbing tracks without the loss of quality and suspense, especially with such long tracks. The sight of Total Eclipse & Simon Posford being a part of the second CD is guaranteed to make a goa-freak's heart go wild. I was taken by surprise by the Germans from Zerotonine. Until now I had their image in my head as the guys who delivered quite raw tunes along with their "Cygnus Loops" album. "Two Faces" showed me their second nature - the artists are also great at making tracks in the style of energetic goa trance. Blue Planet Corporation, another prominent old-timer of the scene, did not let me down as well. He enriched the compilation with a goa-downtempo hybrid track. "High NRG" finds its way to the chapter of goa trance history filled with tracks like "Ambient Galaxy" or "Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen)" by Astral Projection. There is also a Polish accent here, namely a piece of dynamic goa by Radosław Kochman (currently known as Sundial Aeon). "Aural Planet - Changing My Mind" is an energetic goa trance track depicting a worldwide class. The whole thing is underlined by a rather less known, but worthy of all attention project by Simon Posford. North Central Positronics are Posford and Ben Kempton plus some guy called Factor E. The first two gave the world a well-known psychedelic anthem called "LSD". "The Great Bear" is another tune with a soul on his compilation, throwing us into a vortex of multicolored psychoactive music. Of course one cannot forget about the rest of the tracks, whose creators are maybe not that famous as Simon or Boris Blenn, but they also bring a lot of enthusiasm and colors of those years onto the plate. I shall mention Mushroomman here, who I recall from the "Karahana" movie soundtrack. Here he showed that euphoric tracks do not have to be cheesy.           www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Sep 2, 2011 18:41
What makes this two-CD set of old-but-gold tracks even more interesting is that many of the artists presented here currently either create music in an entirely different way and styles, sometimes less attractive for psychedelic fans, are not that active as they used to be, or one does not hear almost anything about them (example being Doof). I also have to mention about the important element of this compilation, which is the 12-page booklet. One can find here interesting stories about the origin and process of creation of all 20 tracks. A fine addition to the compilation's retro-value indeed. The compilation is limited to 604 printed copies - the number could not be more significant. The goal behind "Mind Rewind" is very honorable, as all profits go for the Goa-based charity Children Walking Tall.

Here is the proof that united we stand. The release of "Mind Rewind" is a great initiative I can only salute. I enjoy all historical releases and this one fits my needs perfectly. I think I will not overstate things here by saying that this release is one of the most important things in recent months, maybe even years, as far as this genre is concerned. I just hope that the compilation will be a treat not only for "old farts", but also people from the younger trance generation, because the educational qualities of both CDs are undeniable. Forget for a moment about all other reanimators of goa in new times - the essence is here. It is fruitless to search for two identical tracks here, as each is one of a kind and tells a different story, all in the spirit of the past years. This is what this music is all about - the vibe and variety. It is not a difficult task to release an album with 8-10 tracks which will sound as if they were copies from a copying machine, all with different titles. It seems to be the basis for the activities of many artists who create neo-goa sounds and who dive deep mostly into the world of sweet, melodic goa, forgetting that this music has many faces and exists in many forms, shades and flavors. The musical content of "Mind Rewind" leaves them far behind, proudly flexing its oldschool muscles and - most importantly - these are genuine muscles. Minuses? I liked some tracks more than some other, but this does not mean they are bad. The main disadvantage is that there are only two CDs - let that be a clear message for the DAT Mafia crew that we want more. Some time ago I read in one of the interviews that Astral Projection throughout all years of their existence created so many tracks that they could release dozens of albums and still have plenty left. Of course it is more than obvious that most of them are rejects which are destined to stay in the shadow till the end of times or are long gone, but surely a small fraction of them is worth considering. Many tracks are still waiting to best dusted off and given a new life. I challenge the DAT Mafia Recordings people and hope that "Mind Rewind " is not just a one-time thing. I also thank all of them for giving my ears and mind a large dose of oldschool vibe in its best form. One thing is for sure: not matter what I would write here - you have to listen to this.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://02caf65.netsolhost.com/mr/mind_rewind.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mind-Rewind/226487347402029           www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Sep 2, 2011 19:18
once more a great detailed review

really felt that i could hear or feel, while i as reading your review,in terms of the music

really like your way of writing the reviews

goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Sep 4, 2011 12:13
after a very long time of not getting new releases and listening to all of my old albums - this review (and to be honest, tracklist) makes me wanna get this album, it looks amazing, the review pretty much describes how i felt about goa trance as a kid, and how i feel about it now, esp. after being disappointed in the "new" music some of the artists played in ozora (i expected goa trance - in too many cases got dull cheesy full on versions of their classic tracks), and the "neo-goa" sound in general...

great review templar, ill surely get this album - maybe something new to my ears finally

thanks!
V3NOM
Inactive User

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Sep 9, 2011 04:28
Got my copy in the mail today so thanks for this!

Sound is absolute great quality, Colin obviously put much time & positive energy into this

The tracks are all very traditional acid fueled Goa and carry a vibe that is absolutely missing from the music being put out today, I feel so luck to own one of the copies of this special CD.

Packaging is amazing, and the detailed cover with stories about how the tracks were made, and the equipment that was used is exactly what I have dreamed of since getting into this scene. If more labels would do this I'd be super happy!!

I hope that maybe some information as to how much is donated to the charity can be sent to those who purchased or something? I think this also is a wonderful idea

I dream that another release may happen but also know that this was such hard work and time consuming/costly that it won't, so I feel very privileged.

Thanks you to the many who made this possible

It's making my current bad back problem pain a lot more bearable           I hate you, you hate me, we are all so hap hap happy!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Mind Rewind (DAT Mafia Recordings, 2011)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance