Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Microphone

loki
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  49
Posted : Feb 19, 2011 09:00:34
Hey all,

I need to buy a microphone. I don't want to spend more than $500, but I could go a little more for quality.

I'm going to be recording mostly wierd sounds/vocal noises/harmonica/jawharp/cat purrs/doors creaking/lighters flicking/whatever (random trippy shit for psychedelic music)... but I also want to be able to record acoustic guitar, cello, and singing voice. No real need for drums, or major bassy stuff other than the cello.

I'm going to go do my research but figured I'd post this here for some advice while I'm at it.           Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. ~Kurt Vonnegut
www.soundcloud.com/mixyott
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Feb 19, 2011 11:26
Don't forget to check the soundonsound forum. They have lots of info on mics.           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Feb 22, 2011 12:27
I'm using the T.Bone CST-800
and I'm very happy with it.
A cheap tube microphone (200euros) that copies the AKG C12 ($5000!!), and although its made in china, it doesn't sound cheap at all!

Peace out.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Feb 22, 2011 21:52
Quote:

On 2011-02-22 12:27, disco hooligans wrote:
I'm using the T.Bone CST-800
and I'm very happy with it.
A cheap tube microphone (200euros) that copies the AKG C12 ($5000!!), and although its made in china, it doesn't sound cheap at all!

Peace out.

some duvdev influence in the next dh release ?
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Feb 23, 2011 12:50
no!!
Got a side project thing going. Clubby breakbeats at 95BPM with a friend MCing and another girl singing, me playing saxophone licks, (bass)guitar, and generally producing the music...trying to get a "pop" thing going on and see where that takes us.
My missus also writes lyrics for greek indie/pop bands. I write and produce the music (and unfortunately have to "sing" as she needs to have someone doing the "pilot" for the vocal lines), she writes the lyrics.

We're close to getting a deal with a label in Athens that gets their tunes on the radio/commercials.

I will never, ever have any sort of singing of psy-trance (the lady gaga bootleg was a pisstake, as I despise her music).
...ever.

Peace out.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
orgytime
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  120
Posted : Feb 24, 2011 13:57
it depents on what is important for you, if you want some effect recording like doors, atmo, etc... you should go for a stereo mic.

for voice & guitars iŽd go mono.

cheers           www.soundcloud.com/orgytime
TimeTraveller
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Mar 2, 2011 11:20
yes for bright sound a good stereo mic is an option,or two good mics and lots of other ways to realize a great stereo image,see ortf for instance.
Actually you cant record all you (loki) mentioned with one mic.Most probably even if you have neumann u87 that I know very good,that is not a solution for evrything.
Mostly for sounds wiht lots of db spl like real drums or trombones etc you would take a dynamic mic.For a brilliant voice or stuff something like harp with lots of details and little facettes you would take a good condenser,maybe a supercardioid or a shotgun ..depends all on what you want do,how bright the sound is etc.
A t-bone can also be a very good mic (i also have one in my mic collection)- just its hard to get a good one..since they are not that matched as for instance some gemini or akg or neumann - neumann can also have a difference of 0,5 % between the same type of the mic..so all neumann u69 are almost identical.T-bone its up to 60% I think..However,they can sound brilliant.My advice is order 20 of them and send 19 back.Lots of people do it like that.
A mic that is ok and should always be there as atleast the last possibility or alternative or the weapon for all cases is the old shure 58,go for shure sm 57 ...its a lot better.When you want to make very proffesional recordings,maybe save up and buy a phantom classic brauner or a neumann,se electronics gemini is also a killer machine..or rode nt 2 ... only in ebay but best copy of neumann u87 so far.For rooms or sound around you take an omni directional,for voice and not too bright sound sources a cardioid,for detailed higher class voices and higher frequency sounds take a super or hypercardioid or ultra directional.
Or buy two mics one bi-directional for s and one cardioid for m,and you can have lots of fun with real ms.Two mics always better lots of more actions possible like ab or ms, xy,oss,ortf technique..lots of fun.
          https://soundcloud.com/shivagarden
Pause
Pause

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Mar 5, 2011 04:51
Rode Microphones!

best for vocals with few money!

check the condenser mic NT1-A, NT100, NT2-A!

Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - Microphone

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance