There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Software - Macbook question
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Macbook question

pranji

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Aug 11, 2016 12:15:09
Hi guys, not sure if I'm asking this on the right page but anyway my question is Macbook Air i7 2.2ghz 8gb or Macbook Pro i5 2.6 ghz 16gb? Both have SSD drive.
Im using Ableton and i like to throw a lot of vsts and effects in the mix but also a lot of samples.
Can't decide which would be best, both are a good price (refurbished models).
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
Cheers.
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Aug 12, 2016 12:30
Not an easy question.

It's really about the specific models. Judging by the description, this would be the mid-2014 mac book pro with a retina screen? If that's the case, it's a no brainer. Because that's a modern i5 processor and one that can handle 2 tasks per core (hyper threading) and increase its speed if needed (turbo boost).

Cheers
Vermeee
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  108
Posted : Apr 2, 2017 04:22
unless you realy have money to spare boycott apple dont buy macbook.....

you wanna use osx ? hackintosh it...

i have both laptop and desktop in hackintosh form and i can assure u both are very stable.           
http://soundcloud.com/bgos
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Apr 2, 2017 21:24
Quote:

On 2017-04-02 04:22, Vermeee wrote:
unless you realy have money to spare boycott apple dont buy macbook.....

you wanna use osx ? hackintosh it...

i have both laptop and desktop in hackintosh form and i can assure u both are very stable.

Which laptop model did you use for this? I know it's fairly easy to put together a tower pc, specially when you cherry pick the hardware from a list, but always thought this would somehow be a bit more troublesome for laptops, due to everything coming hardwired - even though there's probably some models out there with very similar hardware too. Is that the case?

I'm curious, what DAW do you work with? And are you able to test it with two platforms on the same machine? I somehow doubt that the Apple OS, on and by itself, would provide greater performance in audio applications these days. In fact, I'm inclined to say that more then likely, Windows does have the edge now.

Vermeee
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Apr 3, 2017 04:23
hey my friend.. i used a dell inspiron 15 skylake 6700hq

there are some forums.. as tonymac.. they have specific parts for laptop builds.... so u can use one of the guides from a laptop that someone already built and its fully functional...

i only had to change the wifi/bluetooth chip to be 100 per cent functional on el capitan...

i use LOGIC X and it runs as a bomb altho logic x s very heavy on the system by nature...

the only problem i have with the laptop on el capitan is that things that suck too much energy on the USB i must connect prior to turn on the laptop..if i connect while el capitan is on the memory for some reason will go nut and i have to restart it .....

frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Apr 9, 2017 14:09
Thanks. I know about tonymac, but only went as far as the hardware list for tower (mac pro inspired) builds.

What do you think about El Capitan? Have you used other Mac OS versions on the same rigs?

My experience with it wasn't positive at all. I have a main computer and a laptop, both running mac os. The laptop was performing like a dream, everything tweaked like I want it, all plug-ins working, no crashes, no nothing in all the applications that I had. I installed El Capitan on top of it, using update instead of a clean install, and immediately I felt like the response and stability went backwards. And it's not the case where hardware limitations might have contributed to it, not at all.

Problem is, after paying for Logic, it somehow doesn't feel right not to be able to test the latest update. But I've hold back on that, 'cause at least like this I know I have a nice behavior in Cubase that allows me to work seamlessly. Maybe will try to do that in another disk or something. Took enough silly risks with such things in the past. Growing weary of spending more time with installations and stuff like that.
Vermeee
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Apr 12, 2017 07:58
hey my friend... my desktop build is a very old CPU.. ivy bridge.. when i first built it was before yosemite... dont remember which version was it now...then when el capitan released i updated to el capitan and it was still runnin fine......BUT i did a clean install.. even if it was a real mac i would do a clean install instead of updating...

as long as u buyin compatible stuff u should be able to achieve a stable hackintosh..especialy in desktops... laptop u are limited to buy specific models....

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Software - Macbook question

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance