Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Llopis - Lobster Tan EP [P.O.R.N. 2005] 12"
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Llopis - Lobster Tan EP [P.O.R.N. 2005] 12"

Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Mar 30, 2005 00:13
Llopis - Lobster Tan EP [P.O.R.N. 2005] 12"

Llopis has developed a deep and dirty style of progressive that is beginning to sound very enticing for appropriate dancefloor moments. Minimal has never been a flavour of psychedelic trance that I enjoyed except in unusual circumstances, and with Lobster Tan the artist is proving to have a unique and interesting take on a fusion of psychedelic progressive and deep house. Make no mistake - these songs are primarily beat oriented with few atmospheres and effects and absolutely no straight melodies. However the activity isn't entirely suppressed, as the bass lines really get a chance to come alive.

Back in the Days begins to show the rougher side of Llopis with a lengthly intro that simply pulses out of the speakers, reaching forward with a chunky rhythm reminiscent of Like the Good Books from the recent compilation A Token to Thrill on Nanobeat. Mechanical percussion clatters as deep chords pulse into the abyss with a sly and confident application of reverb and delay. The song builds in small measures, and a catchy sample floods in from time to time. A heavy fusion of house, techno, and psychedelic progressive for dancefloor shaking.

Lobster Tan wastes no time on an introduction, immediately opening with a kick and shuffling hi-hat rhythms. With a casual approach new elements are slowly introduced, reaching a satisfying level after the two minute mark when the bass line picks up the first subtle hook. Small sounds are twisting around as the development continues, and the bass frequencies begin to unfold. Groovy and hypnotic, the probing bass compliments the snappy percussive tomfoolery with more of that confident aplomb. The last few minutes begin to drag on, but it makes for a good record to work with behind the decks.

Stimulation is a laidback house number with an up & down groove that languidly plods through 8 minutes of diverting club sounds without making a significant impact.

Like the label says on their home page, good music is good music, and despite that this would otherwise fall outside of the realm of music I enjoy, I find this easy to recommend to fans of house, progressive, and techno alike. For the psy heads this is best played early on to get the dancefloor shaking.

3/5
Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Mar 30, 2005 10:55
Indeed... good music is good music!!

And this vinyl is no exception. I really enjoy Back in the Days and Lobster Tan. Two groovy bass monster tracks. Stimulation leaves me a bit indifferent. Definetely worth the buy for the hypnotic power of the two "meaner" tracks.

Cheers to you basilisk for reviewing this ep.
DanVapid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Mar 30, 2005 11:15
to me, this is the best ep released all year, and i'm primarily a full on dj!!! lobster tan i give a 7.5/10, really nice thick kick and groove but a little generic sounding after awhile... stimulation is darker/harder and more original sounding, cold, pounding techy tune... back in the days is actually my fav track while even though it doesnt progress much it has this really sexy non-chalant groove that would really set a comfortable mood towards the beginning of a party - this one could easily fit into a set of more mainstream non-psy house... the lobster tan ep is house done right...clean sounding, organic, tribal, hypnotic, and sexy at the same time
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Mar 30, 2005 12:22
very good EP, monotonic and rhytmic, excellent for night time !           Believe your soul !
psy^soldier
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Apr 1, 2005 20:57
well actully i was never a fan of progressive house but this is music i start to get in to heard this one form a friend well this is PROGRESSIVE you can hear it al along the tracks how it evolve really nice for home listen or as said in the first hours of the party to worm up the dance floor nice sound games
psy its not but after hearing alot of progressive trance and psy progressive i strated to get in this style of music
hip
Shuma

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Apr 1, 2005 23:52
Yes, its one of the finest ep releases for me as well.
My favourite is Lobster Tan, and this one really fits the motto of the label - "Finest mixture between techno, house and trance".
Indeed, its a finest mixture, but with a massive psychedelic switch as well.

I'd also like to mention the sound qualitiy of this vinyl, which is absolutley great. Marcus and Seb did a great job on mastering, although im quite sure that the tracks themselves sound great without any mastering on them

Everybody who likes this style, can check out the thread on new P.O.R.N. release, Lounge Control (XV Killist & Rocco) here:
http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/59331/forum/41
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Llopis - Lobster Tan EP [P.O.R.N. 2005] 12"

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance