Trance Forum » » Forum  Ambient & Chill Out - Live At Dakini Nights 1999 - 2004
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Live At Dakini Nights 1999 - 2004

BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Sep 20, 2004 01:58
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD Title: Live At Dakini Nights 1999 – 2004
Catalog Number: DAK 2113
Playing Time: 72:25"
Released: 5/29/2004 (Limited Edition of 2000)
Label : Dakini Records (Tokyo, Japan)

Track List:

1. Greg Hunter – Siliconectar V1 (candle dance mix)
2. Makyo – Nothing is Real (headspin mix)
3. Karsh Kale – Bright Like This
4. Puff Dragon – Born 2b Wild (imploding belly dancer mix)
5. Ochi Brothers – Sonic Branches (rhythm mix)
6. Sevda – Goreme
7. Greg Hunter – Siliconectar V3 (dakini dub)
8. Ishq – Fire Salamander
9. Rasiya – Coming Down
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction:

In 1999 while living in the strange little island country of Japan, I was blessed to discover many unspeakably beautiful treasures. I hiked rugged volcanic energy vortexes and found secret natural hot springs shrouded in cool mist, and visited Zen gardens that were given over 1000 years of continuous meditative grooming. In the cities there was legal magic mushrooms, bizarre electronics, fierce underground trance parties, groovy guys & legendary beautiful women , and the tech stock market was going through the roof . It was a wonderful place to be, a great time to be there. Everyone in the trance scene was making extravagant plans for the future.

But out of all the surprises and exotic wonders, it was 2 CDs that left some of the strongest impressions on me. Padmasana (Bali Space Dub) and Nada Masala – Sky Dancing Vol. 1 had just come out on a brand new Tokyo label called Dakini Records. These discs were oozing with an aura of quality and class, such a level of production and musical taste - that I was dumbstruck. There was really nothing in the ultra-perfectionist, more-delicate-than-thou ambient canon to compare them with. The only thing in the same stratosphere I could think of was the new monster hit "Are You Shpongled?", which buzzing quickly through the underground grapevine, but no one had fully digested it yet.

Often, when the stresses and strains of working overseas would tense me up, I’d lie in my hammock or on my tatami mat…and play these new Dakini CDs. I would inevitably find myself lifted up into a magical inner landscape that I had never visited before. Somewhere far away from myself, my mind or Japan. These releases were dripping with the elusive "takes-you-to-another-world" essence that all musicians strive for, but few achieve with any consistency.

After listening to these discs non-stop for months, the Dakini dream came to life for me. My world was completely shaken at the now legendary 2000 Solstice Global Trance festival at Mt. Fuji. It was the last summer before trance boomed out of the underground, and became fashionable in Japanese mainstream youth culture. A few hundred hardcore aliens, rastas, space cowboys, Japanese Deadheads , and sexy bunny-rabbit freaks appeared out of nowhere - and set up tents in the cool forest paradise below the mighty Fuji-san. They frolicked, ate pills , hugged, screamed, stomped, lit fireworks carelessly, howled at the moon, and lustfully banged and grinded on the speaker stacks. The madness was orchestrated most expertly by Ubar Tumar, Etnica, Kox Box and Dimitri. Not just me, but many of the seasoned veterans and artists were also blown away by the intensity of this celebration.

If the powerful mix of psy-trance and liquid wasn’t enough… one of my ambient heroes, Raja Ram, stepped into the chillout dome and played previously unheard Shpongled weirdness. Soon after, as the first rays of dawn came around 5am, Mother Nature blessed us with a extraordinary spectacle. A spherical UFO-shaped cloud appeared, was illuminated brilliant gold by the rising sun…. and it circumbumlated the sky above and around the perfect cone of Mt. Fuji. This eerie natural phenomena did the impossible, by stopping this incredibly spun-out party dead in it’s tracks. I remember everyone gasped, and almost wept and prayed with awe…and things slowed down for a few beautiful minuites before the party returned to full throttle. It was no less meaningful to us than the rainbow after the great flood, in the Bible story of Noah’s Ark. It was an unmistakable sign, and promise from God that he was watching over us, and blessing our blossoming trance culture.

Later in the morning, as I was humbly trying to put the pieces of myself back together… I was overjoyed to see my other ambient hero, Makyo, playing the forested chillout area. Matching the beautiful atmosphere perfectly, he played a most sublime selection of sky dancer songs. I may never know what tracks he played , but I can still remember the beautiful flow, and some of the melodies clearly. I was enveloped with a healing, profound feeling of wholeness and hope… plus an exciting realization that "The future is now!". Everything I dreamed of as a child, and much wilder, was already happening on Earth. And I squirmed to even think of the delights and infinite possibilities of the far distant future…

This new Dakini music is what crystallized the richest peak experience of my life – and sent me back into the world with strength and conviction. I am glad to see this magical music current is alive and flowing strong! With no further introduction, I’m very pleased to review Dakini’s latest release…
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 20, 2004 02:02
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD Review:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dakini is a Sanskrit word that means "Sky Dancer". In other traditions it is a kind of angel, or even a beautiful priestess who can bestow enlightenment through her sexual skills. To me, it’s the fairies and angels in the human form ..the gentle dancers who appear out of nowhere & serenely smile and gracefully glide - whenever beautiful ambient music is played in the right party atmosphere.

The digi-pak sleeve is nice, and the contains a beautiful and informative 12 page booklet – highlighting and giving little photographic glimpses of the Dakini Nights parties. These cutting-edge performances have been held occasionally in Tokyo’s most cosmopolitan neighborhoods. They feature an alluring performance collage of finest belly dancers, DJs, VJs, painters and electronic + classical musicians in all of Japan (and the globe) before a very special audience.

The booklet says: "Since 1999 Dakini Nights has been proving a free, friendly venue for experiments in ethnic fusion, creating neo-exotic club culture for an imaginary Orient. We will continue to do so, from time to time, keeping it something special for those who know when and where to find it." It goes on to stress that culture is not what we are born with, or what we are taught or handed , but it is what we envision & create for ourselves. An inspiring thought!

Dakini has indeed created something very special. This release lets the secret out – to all of us who have yet to grace this global ambient-culture mecca with our presence. This disc truly inspires me to the core, so much that I want to get on a plane and go to Japan to experience it. And it makes me feel I ought to work to create an event of this flavor in my local community.

Most of the material on the CD is not actually live material, but examples of demo and studio tracks that closely resemble what they perform at the parties:
Review of the Tracks:

1. Greg Hunter, A.K.A. Youth of the Orb / DubTrees pours on a fluid introduction with achingly delicate string-instrument scales in "Siliconectar V1 (Candle Dancer Mix)". It sounds like drops of water spilling into a ceramic vessel, or a butterfly fluttering over some sparklingly morning dew, searching for nectar. Heavy bass drops boom in… for a strong, heady dub massage - as a haunting, melancholy flute melody conjures up a full palate of flavors. Absolutely Perfect . A+++.

2. Makyo kicks in with one of his strongest tracks ever. This one pushes a little past the boundaries of ambient/downtempo and into the realm of 120bpm morning trance, a la Jaia. Strong progressive waves of trance rhythms wash over each other, building thicker with each pass… as female voices sooth and whisper , and tribal exhalations echo away… All of Makyo’s releases are smooth, but some have a slightly awkward mid-tempo that makes them difficult for me to sequence in a set. This one hits hard in all the right places, and plays just right. Thumbs up and a smile!

2. Liquid Tablas attack…with the Karsh’s Kale’s "Bright Like this" track. The recent additional of the Karsh Kale / Bageshree style, more "traditional Indian" sound to the Dakini collective is the only thing that scuffs the label’s otherwise impeccable taste. Karsh Kale patters away in several beat structures and scales that change too fast before they have a chance to grip me… These lop-sided, queer tabla rhythms remind me of why I really don’t like Drum-N-Bass music. Also, something about the gut-wrenchingly bright and emotional melodies and instrument solos, remind me of smelly praneer and diabetically sweet Indian confections. I can’t help but reach for the ">>" button on the CD player. This lacks the Western reserve and subtly that is the Dakini hallmark... Sorry, but I don’t connect with this one…

4. Steve Goode, A,K.A. trance star Double Dragon, has mellowed out his soundgarden a bit in recent years, and has emerged as the rising star of the Tokyo chillout scene. It seems like he can do no wrong, as everything he has released under his chillout name Puff Dragon is a complete killer. "Born 2B Wild" squarely hits the bullseye again...splitting right down the shaft of his last arrow ("Chinese Radio" on Fahrenheit Project IV, Ultimae records.) This track is around 100bpm and is intensely provocative, rhythmic and tuff. Just listen to the delicate swirling atmospheric melodies, trippy sounds (like flexing sheet-metal), laid over the highly-combustible rapping and tapping of the Darbukka drums. Here we have all the twisted fierceness of primo full-on trance , somehow miniaturized and adjusted to chillout-floor sensibilities… This genre-bluring tune is an absolute smasher for the Sky dancefloor…Lord Shiva would give it anywhere from four to eleven thumbs up! A+++

5. The Ochi Brothers are two real brothers with the most impressive looking array of drums I have yet seen. They drop a whole orchestra of live percussion with perfect sync, over a backing of Zen-like flute tracks… Their unique Japanese aesthetic goes down easily and silk smooth to my western synapses… Beautiful drum conversations occur, with a relaxing tempo that feels to me like rain falling. Although rhythmic, it doesn’t move my body. It feels like more of a soundscape for an introspective meditation and relaxation…. Nice.

6. Sevda is a pick-up band that was put together to accompany the Dakini Nights belly dancers. The tracks here and on the Sky Dancing series set them apart , and designate them one of the new stars on the label. "Goreme" is a slow, brooding, séance of a Arabian dub track. We are guided through Chapel Perilous, gaze into the depths of the of shadow unconscious… somberly reflecting some mistakes and misgivings we have made, and then gently press on to face the future with strength. Smooth, dark Middle-eastern flavored ambient dub!

7. Greg Hunter lets have a wiff of the magic fragrant essential oil he calls "Siliconectar v3 (dakini dub)". A chilling, fluid swan-dive into bubbling cool waters. There’s enough fire to stay warm too, with exotic stringed spiciness and snappy percussion. This perfectly forged fusion of acoustic-electronic sounds is at once haunting and healing. Teasingly short at 4:30", I feel short of breath and find myself gasping for more when the track is over. We really need a whole album worth of this! A+++

8. Ex-London clubber, turned ethereal countryside shaman ISHQ (Matt Hiller) prescribes
his strongest mana medicine to date, "Fire Salamander". This is an exquisite 14 minute atmospheric projection, with just a trace of rhythmic spine. Dripping rain sticks, angelic background vocals so wispy, high and heavenly that they get blurred with the airy melodies, plus a tasteful dash of saffron and masala spice. Add just a tiny hint of Shpongled weirdness, and you have a classy, timeless & almost unbearably profound sound hologram. Guaranteed to give you goosebumps, while somehow still leaving you peaceful in Zen. Not gold , but rather pure platinum and polished-diamond material. A+++

9. Rasiya – Could a pure acoustic piece possibly be any more beautiful than this? Maybe it can, but I’ve yet to hear it! This selection is as precious and fragile as a rare Ming vase. The sound is deeply emotional, strings and chords flow smoother than KY jelly. A splendid set closer for DJs, or to play for friends with more classical tastes, to turn them on to the neo-exotic. Living up to the title nicely, this one genuinely captures the difficult-to-transcribe feeling of "coming down" off an epic trip or life changing epiphany . Gorgeous and perfect, subtle vocals. It shows a lot of promise for Rasiya, and I am eager to much more from this very talented band. A++
Summary:

This is a extremely fine nu-ambient release, that captures a wide spectrum of atmospheres and truly exotic sensations. With the limited edition imported from Japan, you are assured of a coveted collector’s item in the future. The musical content is divinely-inspired, polished and quite timeless. I’m sure some of the tracks will be considered beautiful & still get played in ambient rooms 5 years or more into the future. The only thing that holds this release back from my very highest rating is the Karsh Kale track, but somehow the disc still manages to play through for home listening fairly nicely. DJs can’t go wrong, as it contains all the textures and moods you would need for punctuation and highlighting in a set. You’ll find something special here, that will speak for very best moments of your own epic ambient story. Thank you Dakini, for channeling these celestial treasures into a beautiful CD package that us humans can absorb and experience… It’s a little piece of the heavens to help us find our way back home.
Rating: 22 Karat Gold.

Available:
http://www.dakinirecords.com/%7EEnglish/DAK_orders_en.html
http://www.dakinirecords.com/%7EEnglish/CD_LADN.html
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4156
http://www.backroadsmusic.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review by BrettFromTibet (Portland, Oregon - USA)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Sep 20, 2004 07:58
lovely review... have been tossing up whether to buy this or not, but I think I will... one day I hope to journey to Japan and experience Dakini for what it really is, instead of just having the cd's and dreaming. I think for me Ishq is the selling point, I have never heard such beauty in music before, and I don;t think I ever will...
elektric sheep
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Sep 20, 2004 14:24
Just buy this CD! Like other Dakini releases, the soft cover packaging is exquisite and features a little booklet with photos taken from the Dakini Nights live show.

The Greg Hunter track combines traditional (plucked strings)and subtle digital sounds, blissfull.Anyone know of other Greg Hunter solo stuff, I have heard the Alien Soap Opera & he has worked with Pops Mohammed, more info on this?
Quasga
Inactive User

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 20, 2004 23:59
Quote:

On 2004-09-20 07:58, The Journey Man I think for me Ishq is the selling point, I have never heard such beauty in music before, and I don;t think I ever will...

Fire Salamander is an excellent track on this comp. Reminds me of an 1.5 minute excerpt about a minute into Ott's track "Jack's Cheese and Bread Snack"

Ishq is great stuff indeed. Get ready for an upcoming collaboration with a surprise artist I've heard about. It's hushy hush.
intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Sep 21, 2004 00:39
I don't have this yet, looks like I'm gonna have to buy it though...
intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Sep 21, 2004 00:40
I don't have this yet, looks like I'm gonna have to buy it though...
Layo

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 21, 2004 01:38
To my friend the elektric sheep,im all too happy to help those in persuit of gregs jems,try hunting down an album made mid ninties called Frozen Ants by Subsurfing..if u manage to find it your in for a treat,believe me...this man is pure genious.
the_sentiment
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 21, 2004 03:39
Greg Hunter, brilliant, but not A.K.A. Youth as mentioned by BrettFromTibet. Youth is Youth, and Greg Hunter is Greg Hunter. Greg Hunter did do keyboard work for Dub Trees, and work for early Orb.

In addition to Subsurfing - Frozen Ants and Alien Soap Opera - Second Wave, he also released the albums Fifth Sun - Sout El Leil and Third Strand - Lotus Blossom. Fifth Sun is the same collaboration as Alien Soap Opera, Greg Hunter and Amir Abdel Magid, but I guess less electronic than Alien Soap Opera. I don't have the album. Third Strand is the collaboration with Pops Mohamed. I have no idea yet as to where you can buy the Third Strand album. Right now at least, you can buy the Subsurfing, Alien Soap Opera, and Fifth Sun albums through http://www.gemm.com . You can also buy the Fifth Sun and Alien Soap Opera albums through some of the various Amazon websites. You can find a little more info about Greg Hunter and the releases at http://www.melt2000.com/artists/hunter_intro.html . I believe http://www.jagatah.com is his soon to be up webpage for his new music. I think the songs on this Dakini Nights compilation are part of his new Jagatah project.
          ****keep the peace****
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 21, 2004 04:39
the_Sentiment...

I humbly stand corrected. I got obsessed with this album, and wrote the review in one crazy/hazy blur without checking the facts or the my wording carefully at all Most unlike the care that went into making this album!

God bless Greg Hunter. I heard from a reliable source that "he just got back from recording in Egypt, and will be finishing up a new album in his new style."
grahf

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 23, 2004 19:00
yeah, this cd is that good. i ordered several cd's from dakini last week, and so far this one is standing above all the rest for me.

makyo and karsh kale tracks are so mindblowing. puff dragon track is slightly weird and repetitive, but you can get into it if you're in the right state of mind. ishq track doesn't sound like anything else ishq has ever done.
djsoma

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 17:27
They have a nice review on this @ Ethnotechno. Gave me a new perspective on this good positive music. Dakini is growing on strong.

http://www.ethnotechno.com/dakini_nights.php           http://musicandhappylife.blogspot.com/
djsoma@gmail.com
Saturnia
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Nov 23, 2004 12:51
Quote:

On 2004-09-20 23:59, Quasga wrote:
Ishq is great stuff indeed. Get ready for an upcoming collaboration with a surprise artist I've heard about. It's hushy hush.

Stop that!

*fidgets impatiently*
Trance Forum » » Forum  Ambient & Chill Out - Live At Dakini Nights 1999 - 2004

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance