Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kiwa - Dreamtime Enhancer [2002 Surreal Audio Recordings]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Kiwa - Dreamtime Enhancer [2002 Surreal Audio Recordings]

traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Sep 7, 2002 20:14
Part 1.
Alright I guess most of us have heard about Kiwa. Well this is their first real Album that is not a mp3 release, but the real shit. Before I start I just want to say, that there will be lots of misspelling on this review, however I'm too lazy to correct them.

Track 1. "Cricket in the head" A cool breakbeat starts out this track. Some wicked effects join it pretty soon. At 00.40 we get somekind of bassline and a stronger beat. At 01.10 it's possible to recognize the kicks and a solid bass. The track starts to build up. At 02.30 the pattern is so complicated, that the stream of data is impossible to understand completely. So many little things happening on the background. "I hear voices?" Okay, this is really danceable music. The kicks and the bass are the only things keeping the track in one solid piece. You decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Personally I love it! The track keeps on being kick driven. No real melodies, just crazy effects, synths and other wicked noises. At 05.00 there is a breakbeatish part, where the track almost falls apart.. I love it. There's a small groovy part in the end. Great track indeed and it makes you wonder what is to come.

Track 2. "Trans-Electronic" Weirdness starts this track. Some spacey soundscapes and then a suprising start of a extremly hard driven kick. At 00.50 The kick gets a solid beat next to it. This is somehow very melodic, although there are no real melodies. It's like the melody is build up with the weirdness. At 02.30 there's a short chilled part, which finally a groovy bassline breaks up. I can almost hear some stuff from the Shpongle's albums on the background (some effects, and "the feeling?"). At 04:30 the track is extremly multilayered. But it's like everything has it's purpose, and without every single effect it just wouldn't be complete. "Baby are you out of your mind?" A sample starts out a breakbeatish break =). Wow the track is groovy indeed. Not like electro groovy or anything like that, just groovy.

Track 3. "Rally spirit" A Spacey slowly spinning 80's synth effect starts this track. Then a tribal well.. voice joins it. at 00.50 the beat and at 01.10 groovy bassline. A few seconds later effects that are sort of part of the "pattern". The bassline becomes tribal. Everything is somehow building up around it. Streams pass by. Messages from above?
The effects somehow play part of the beat. Once again the kicks hold the track together. At 02.50 you could almost think, that a new track just began. The style of the track just somehow sneakily changes 100%. The new bassline becomes tribalish too. Some wicked sampled bongos and looong wave synths join in. Singing? Well something can be heard behind a loong distance, somewhere in the inner core of the track. At 04.30 this could be something that Violet Vision created, but it's more "random", well
actually not random at all, just very messed up. Inner and the outer core become 1. At 05.00 the beat is the beast itself. It's made from samples and a kick somewhere far far away. But a second after second the track becomes more and more digitalized. At 06.10 the synths are back for a little while. And the beat.. well.. WOW. The Syth returns.. and it's all over.

Track 4. "Digital Hangover" What a great name for a track after the last track. At 00.18 we get the beat. All the effects are shaked and definetly disturbed. At 00.50 it all just makes sense. The synths seem to play a bigger part in this track. Not as a melody but something much greater. At 01.30 a bassline enters. I remeber some1 asking what is psychedelic music.. well this is it IMHO. At 02.10 we get a breakbeat part. It starts a building up process that keeps on going, once again messages/streams pass by. At 02.50 we are ready to go again. Are we still building? Difficult to say. Perhaps we are recovering? Well the kicks play a bigger part. But not for long, you can sense that there is something wicked to come. At 04.00 everything is quite normal. Just the kick beating the track up. Well the synth fights back. Also the hihats. Actually it's once again groovy, hallucinogenic..? Violet Visionish perhaps? Great stream of synths and wicked wicked effects. A violin? No, a bagpipe? Well it's gone.. At 06.00 some1 tells you to "dance, dance, dance"? Maybe it's just my imagination? "Dance, dance, dance, switchstance?" Well once again I somehow feels shpongled, perhaps there is something similar in the build up style?

Track 5. "Neutralize" The track starts with the breakbeat. A break, a synth.. continue. At 00.30 powerful kick enters, But once again dominated by the beat. A break and again??!?! Shpongle build up? 01.30 wooow. Well this just sounds so great, no words to describe it, you gotta feel/hear it yourself. At 02.10 it's somehow experimental. Breakbeat, kick, noises, rolling, rolling, beat getting stronger, kick trying to fight back, syths want to be a part of it too. At 03.20 a great break, and a change of tempo. Junglish? Kick is dissapearing. Chilled part again. Kick comes back. Nice synths. Very danceable. Doesn't matter what you do, it should suit the needs. Well the kick tells you to dance, the effects tell you to concentrate and try to reach the inner core of the track. You decide. Okay fine, I DANCE! Oooooh yeeeaaah!!! Dance baby, DANCE! Lift those feet, come on! HEh it tells you to dance, but in the finnish way. Well at 06.33 every1 should understand it and dance like a madman, still while you can, hurry up!

Track 6. Dramatic Display of Insanity. Well this is more chilled. A little bit drum n' bassish. Yes, drum n' bassish indeed. Easy track to understand. At 00.50 a bassline enters. Wow suddenly somehow so complicated. Multilayered? Well great anyways! Tribal bassline again. 01.40 cool sax. This sounds just so awesome, can't explain it. You have to hear it yourself. If you like Violet Vision you will love this, that's for sure. This is no 4 x 4 garbage that's for sure too.

[ This Message was edited by: Mike A on 2002-09-07 21:03 ]          "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Sep 7, 2002 20:14
Part 2.

Track 7. "Alpha Sector" You can feel that it's the beat, but it's digitally manipulated, but then it starts. And it's very digitalized indeed. Yes, this is what electornic means. Everything is crystal clear. At 01.15 some breakbeats, and after that a powerfull bassline, that bites the edge of the beat. But behold, the beat is getting stronger. There's definetly a symbios between these two. The bassline gives the beat some room to play around, then vica versa. Even the synths get some room. And then the beat decides that "hey that's actually quite nice" and so the synth plays around. At 03.33 there's some very psychedelic disturbance. How do they make it? It's so unique! Multilayered, impossible to catch the whole thing. Impossible for human brain to see as "whole". At 05.00 very cool voice sampled to be part of the beat. This is something that hasn't been done since SST - Kumharas. Is this a attemp to encode my brains? To decode them? Who knows, but it sure sounds fucking awesome. Soooooooo Psychedelic, I might repeat myself, but yes multilayered. At 6.46 some bongos join the masterpiece. The track becomes more rational. The beat and the bassline are definetly stronger. 07.44 a small break, fill your lungs, dance, fly, YELL!! Aaaaaaarhhhhhgghhh!

Track 8. "Kiva Runner" Didgeridoo begins this track, and some very tribal drumsjoin in notime, also some other distant noise can be heard. The kick becomes part of the tribe. Also the synths, and the horn,strings, well something? Bulding up lasts till a small break. After the break the building up continues. At 01.44 the track is extremly tweaked and twisted. Something you wouldn't have expected. Well I'm still waiting for the blast that will make me dance like a madman, lift my arms in the air and yell. No signs of that at 02.40. Tribe retunrs. Groovy? Well, anyways something like that. At 03.40 a break. Could this be it? Promising.. Yes? Well electronic madness.. But I need a stronger kick. Nah screw the stronger kick, I guess it's not coming. This track is somehow very unique. What is this style? Tribe Trance? Ethno Tribe Trance? Well very good track after all.. just don't expect a dancefloor killer.

Track 9. "Deceptive Anticeptic" Bouncing sounds and a breakbeat start out. Some build up going on? OOHH yeah. This is 100% pure freestyle. I love it. Melancholic synth bouncing aroung, very strong kicks every now and then. Strong beat. Strong pitched hihats. Cool break and at 01.45 the track becomes synth driven. Once again somehow tribadelic. Just keeping my eyes closed and concentrating on this makes my fly. Well.. makes my mind fly, wonder and wander around the digitalized multiverse of
shpongledelic happyland. Creating this sort of music sure requiers great talent. What a song!!

Track 10. "Divider" Great build up in the beginning. It's like they throw everything in, but keep it on the leash. Well soon the beast will be free. It's still held back at 01.00. Suddenly one instrument at time, 1st the kick then the bassline, and the synths are released. This is not for dancefloors either. Dancefloor music is made for physical flying, this is made for mental flying. There's so much going on in this track. Bongos, 100 different synths, a melody is hiding behind it all, concentrate and you will notice it. Bassline is somehow strong and not strong as being part of this trip. At 03.40 there's a divider. And oh yes, it's danceable. Move your body, shake your hands, and at the same time watch yourself. Let your feet concentrate on the kick. Your hands on the beat and your mind on the noises. Well if you are doing it right you should look like unhuman . A masterpiece again.

Track 11. "Nasty Drop" Once again a beat starts out. It's getting louder and louder. It gets a backing hihat at 00.20. Rolling drums. And suddenly a groovy bassline. Very danceable. Somehow I get the Shpongle feeling again. Very creative ideas are used here. Somehow hallucinogenic. A little tribal again. Well I just keep on dancing. Trying to get 100% out of this celebration of the geniosity of human mind. Very clear track somehow. Allthough there's a lot going on this track is very "general" style. Not so unique perhaps. But still fucking awesome. At 4:30 there's a nice wave synth. Which ends to a even nicer breakbeat. At 05.07 you will know what's groovy. It's all about the co work of kick and bassline. Once again some breakbeats. Synths. Groovier. Dance baby dance. Do the twist if you want to! At 06.45 something sounds familiar, don't know what it is though. Is this the beginning of build up, or the end? Very ambidelic. Spacey soundscapes floating around. Still going on. But ending soon, you can hear it. Once again.. WOW!!

Track 12. "Lahti Skyline" Well this is a nice ambient ending for the madness. Very emotional. Echoes. Long and even longer
synths. A weak beatish thing that grows into a beat at 00.45, soon joined by a bassline at 01.00. Very emotional indeed. At 01.15 this is just brilliant. Echoes, some wicked synths. Dark? Am I alone? Once again emotional is definetly the word to describe this. Somehow It feels like I'm back in Thailand. Don't know why.. Then some sounds interrupt the track. It returns at 03.00 but 100% changed. Is this the end? I wish not, but yes it is. Too bad I could have listened to this track 20 more minutes.

Final Thoughts: Well 1st of all this album has a great copying shield. It would require atleast a 1000Kbps mp3 stream to make it sound as it sounds on the cd. 2nd of all this album will make most psy albums sound like minimal music and feel like if they were made
with just the simple "copy & paste" method. 3rd of all this is for me definetly the best album this far of this year. Maybe the best album since Shpongle 2 (maybe I can tell after a few weeks). Well I recommend this to everyone. This album will stay fresh for weeks, months maybe years, cause the amount of data in the stream is just incredible. Everytime I listen to it through it sounds so different. Well I could probably
write a book of this album but I wont. Definetly 10+/10. BOOM!

[ This Message was edited by: Mike A on 2002-09-08 20:11 ]          "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Shroomy
Homegrown Lifeform

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Sep 7, 2002 20:24
Now this is a review
Joker

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Sep 8, 2002 01:35
10/10 to the review
traveller

Offtopic posts:  28
Posted: Sep 8, 2002
10/10 to your comment Joker           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Sep 8, 2002 21:42
That offtopic stamp tears my heart apart. So according to this new policy of Mr. Mike everyone in the Top 10 section who says "Thanks for the comments guys" gets a offtopic stamp next to his post?           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Joker

Posted : Sep 8, 2002 23:33
couldnt agree more with traveller
I mean things like what you said are all over the forum !
blasting review again

Reece
Neuron Compost

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Sep 9, 2002 13:44

woo! great review sieni!
kiwa rock! looking forward to hearing this one
Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posted : Sep 10, 2002 11:34
I see no reason to put this over the forum.
Anyway, I'm here to read reviews. Not "thanks for the thanks for the blasting review". Keep this to private messages.
Case closed.
Dreamer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Sep 20, 2002 14:41
Great Great Great!!!

been waiting for a while for that album.. .
          http://reel.dreamer.co.il
www.dreamer.co.il
BionicPsyko

Posted : Sep 21, 2002 01:28
very good review!!
i hope u will do some more
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Jun 6, 2006 06:44
Finally, I got to mine... just another reason to bump up this (shockingly!) short thread and start some dialogue about this aging classic.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/reviews/kiwa-dreamtime-enhancer/
Elad
Tsabeat/Sattel Battle

Started Topics :  158
Posted : Jun 13, 2006 09:10
defintly very good album , im not sure if its prog but if it is so its the best prog i heard in a long time
anyhow great music! also the live by kiwa was one of the nicest i ever saw!
looking forword to the new project with tommi (haltya, pelinpala , highpersonic women) - The Headphones (its breakbeat more the psytrance)           www.sattelbattle.com
http://yoavweinberg.weebly.com/
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Jun 14, 2006 05:20
awesome, very intelligent and funky album. It's aged very well, too - still one of the best albums I own, and I get to play it from time to time in my morning sets.

..it's just another party..
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kiwa - Dreamtime Enhancer [2002 Surreal Audio Recordings]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance