Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kaya Project - Elixir (Interchill 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Kaya Project - Elixir (Interchill 2005)

PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  75
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 10:37
Kaya Project is a chilled project by Sebastian Taylor, also known as Shakta, Somaton, Digitalis and Angel Tears. In this project he focus on loungy electronic chill, mixed with tribal and ethnic influences from various live musicians and singers. Here he is out with the second Kaya Project on Canadian Interchill Records.

Kaya Project "Elixir" Interchill Records 2005 (ICHILLCD021)

1. From Mumbai
2. Good Morning London
3. Ghasi Ram Blues
4. 65 Percent
5. Dark Tabla
6. Salaam (Remix for Irina Mikhailova)
7. Raag To Ragga
8. Elixir (Feat. Omar Faruk Tekbilek)
9. Harem Bizzare
10. One God Dub
11. The Flow
12. Pachamama

For those of you who are familiar to the Angel Tears project Seb does together with Momi Ochion, you might know how this sounds. Angel Tears has released four albums of loungy chill, suitable for cafés etc, but also some really nice tracks for the chill out areas. On this album we get twelve very organic sounding tracks. He is really good at combining live instruments with electronic sounds and beats. We also get vocals in most of these tracks, and a great variation of different music influences, such as ethnic vibes, nature sounds, jazzy vibes and even some blues with mouth organ in track 3. The vocals are done by several people, but mostly Natasha Chamberlain, who also sings in a lot of Angel Tears tracks. There are also several other interesting collaborations here, such as with the famous musician Omar Faruk Tekbilek, and the famous world music singer Irina Mikhailova. In general, we get mostly dubby beats here, with a totally organic sound above it all. Nothing psychedelic, but for sure relaxing chill out music that should fit the taste of more than the usual electronic music listener.

This album goes the same direction as Angel Tears and the first Kaya Project album. Totally organic chill from beginning to end. This is the kind of chill you might find in some trendy cofee shop and cafés, as well as in the chill out areas at parties. If you are looking for some deep electronic ambient music, this might not be the right choice, but I am impressed by the variety we get here. Another good example of how great musical talent Seb Taylor is. Recommended.
PKS

More reviews at:

http://www.trance.net           CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD01 QUALITY RELAXATION
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
CTRCD04 WOMBATMUSIC - Shameful Silence
CTRCD05 POLYPLOID - Grow Your Own
CTRCD06 IAN ION - Gringo Locomotion
CTRCD07 SUNKINGS - Before We Die
Outolintu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 11:51

i haven't heard the entire cd yet but i've got to say that it sounds like an amazing album!
it's much more complex than the first one.
really waiting for getting my hands on a copy of this album and then enjoying it at home, on travels and with friends

i wouldn't call this style whit that whip of a word "trendy". this is sophisticated and beautiful music and you don't need drops, shots or pops to get into the mood.

uvego
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 13:22
amazing album, much better than the first one..more instruments, great colaboration with Omar Faruk..also Mikhailova voice you will found inside..chilly, duby, world music...you will found a lots of colours in this album

Seb Taylor is realy high - profesional music maestro

must have coz the cover is also amazing !           _____________________

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 16:03
the first track is really nice
dubfix

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Nov 1, 2005 20:51
realy high quality music allways good to have with you if your a chill dj and nice for your home allso           Dubfix Chill-in-or stay out
www.chillinberlin.com
Morpheus Music
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Nov 7, 2005 16:06
Morpheus Music Review
STYLE
Luscious global fusion with confident bass lines and a chillout aesthetic. Smooth strings, acoustic guitar and infectious beats are overlaid with global instrumentation - ethnic violin, breathy flutes, finger cymbals, shakers and water droplets. Seb Taylor and Natasha Chamberlain form the nucleus of Kaya Project - Seb playing guitars, other instruments, programming and producing - Natasha bringing vocal and keyboard skills to the mix. Beats are generally mid-down tempo, deftly blending hand drumming with western grooves into a sparkling brew that will have you moving even if you can only manage the finger tips.

MOOD
Warm and dynamic yet remaining mostly restful and beguiling - Elixir is a colourful collage of world sounds with emphasis on the East and Middle East. Primarily a celebration of rhythm built around intricate percussion patterns - this album is danceable, listenable or could simply be the beautiful backdrop to an exotic event. A little dub with warm bass adds substance to the bottom end, slide guitar and harmonica conjure up the ethno-blues and plenty of thick, heady Arab flutes stir up a romantic atmosphere of scented smoke and drifting sands.

ARTWORK
Elixir luxuriates within a vivid cover of heavy blues and turquoises painted by Suzanne Taylor - a graphic figure diving beneath a strongly textured, fluid surface. A three-panel foldout contains images of the performers laid out around striking dunes and an orange sky. Track listings can be found on the rear jewel case and within along with detailed credits and generous thanks.

OVERALL
Along with Seb Taylor and Natasha Chamberlain various collaborators perform on different tracks - Omar Faruk Tekbilek (ney, zourna and darbouka), Ali Taylor (blues harp), Johnny Kalsi (tabla), Hayat Mohammed (bansuri), Deepak Pandit (violins), Clive Bell (shakuhachi) and Dapu-G (kamiachi). Vocalists include once more the distinctive tones of Irina Mikhailova who shared the writing of 'Salaam' remixed here by Seb and Natasha. The U.K. based Kaya Project release this album on Interchill Records as the follow-up to the acclaimed 'Walking Through'.

WHO WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM
A worthy successor to last year's debut - Walking Through, Elixir will appeal to anyone who enjoyed that album or the related Angel Tears material. Tribal grooves and bright arrangements that will likely be enjoyed by chillout fans and club goers alike.

The original review and some sound samples can be found here:
http://www.morpheusmusic.co.uk/html/reviews22.htm#elixir

Paul           MORPHEUS MUSIC
www.morpheusmusic.co.uk
ELECTRONIC MUSIC MALL
http://www.electronicmusicmall.com
nergel

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Nov 8, 2005 09:36
to chill for me.
but i liked the first track to.
kameleonpangea36
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Nov 12, 2005 17:49
a little to pop sounding, nice quality production though, very clean sounding           
label: www.pureperceptionrecords.org
design: www.designsbymattbryson.com
soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/kameleon-pangea
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Nov 13, 2005 04:45
its a quite nice cd and i expect with a little exposure could be another strong bridge bringing some people into the listening realms of psymusick.
great productions and full sounding beauty. good for sunny afternoons or getting belydancing hips swaying in new ways. recommended for fans of this artist or the growing psybrid world electronic genre.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 08:27
This album is always playing just before I hit the sack.. My favorite tracks are good morning London, Salaam and Dark tabla.
sequence

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 23:24
what a great cd nice tracks with lots of great moments
boom
Joti.

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Dec 10, 2005 18:10
at first listen I thought it would be another of those conventional sounding shanti psy-chill releases but I gave it a few more listens and I must say it's growing on me, I love it.

some Kaya Project tracks can catch you in a very special way, sensual and emotional. Elixir is one of those downtempo albums that really stand out, no ordinary 'woo-waa' psychedelic chill but subtle sounding and professional electronica worldmusic.

the sleevedesign is top notch too, I just love those colours.

another quality release by interchill!!!           www.omnipresence.be
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kaya Project - Elixir (Interchill 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance