Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss [Avatar 2004]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss [Avatar 2004]

Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : May 18, 2004 19:32
Name Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss
Label Avatar Records
Catnum AVACD22
Year 2004

01 Jupiter 8000 - Cylent Storm
02 Jupiter 8000 - 101 And Still Alive
03 Jupiter 8000 - Dust to Dawn
04 Jupiter 8000 - The Memory
05 Jupiter 8000 - Atem (Remix)
06 Jupiter 8000 - Break The Law
07 Jupiter 8000 - Inside
08 Jupiter 8000 - Bit Fire
09 Jupiter 8000 - New Moon
10 Jupiter 8000 - Rubber Dub

---

I originally came seeking the review for this to find out about the track list - it seems wrong to me, based on what samples appear in what songs. But then I found there was no review here, and that's a real shame, for this is quite a nice album!

I think it speaks volumes about the state of today's psychedelic trance releases when Jupiter 8000, the techno-ish side project of Boris Blenn (Electric Universe) sounds far more Goan than just about anything else out there... the album as a whole flows remarkably well through all sorts of moods and influences, always with crystal-clear production and crisp not-too-heavy beats. Here is music that isn't just about the bass line - its all of that and much more. A few quick words on specific tracks:

Cylent Storm - this album starts with a bang; a real stormer with a touch of that classic Goa sound... is that some highly polished 303s I hear? Wonderful!

101 and Still Alive - a short track with those acidic noises again. Good but not a stand-out.

Dust to Dawn - one of my favourites on the album, with those fluttering melodies that coalesce and disappear only to reform majestically...

The Memory - certainly sounds like the classic Electric Universe style right here, updated for the new century with fx tricks and clear sounds.

Atem (Rmx) - mobile bass lines and a really artful break in the middle opens the song up to haunting voices and flowing melodies.

Break the Law / Inside - I think these are the two that got mixed up? but I'm just guessing. The track listed as Break the Law on the CD is a full melodic power track, while the track marked as Inside (which I'm sure is Break the Law) has such high-end power that it will surely take any old schooler on a welcome trip back in time...

Bit Fire - the rockin track on the album! I don't always like guitars in my trance, but I dig this. There are some very clear and cutting sounds from a dot-matrix printer worked into the intro and outro that I would have liked to hear more of (they go so well, levitating above all the other sounds for a time) but hey, its good.

New Moon - groovy clanky business right here, with haunting chords that flow in and out of the listener's domain. Less modern "progressive" and more old school trance, if you know what I mean.

Rubber Dub - the tradition of last-track ambience continues. Dubby, as the name implies, with that usual electronic character to it.

Conclusion: this is well-produced Goa trance in the 2004. If you like Electric Universe's new release, don't hesitate to pick this one up as well, and vice versa. I think this album works well for both home-listening and tearing up dancefloors... is that due to the production approach, which at no times becomes too heavy for your ears? or just the general all-round mood of the thing? Its hard to tell but though this album strays far from modern formula there is still a great deal of quality to the sound offered here, and I recommend that all old Goa fans and full-on lovers check it out.
Anak
Anakoluth

Started Topics :  108
Posted : May 18, 2004 23:24
agree with every word:)
a good mix of oldschool harmonies and new beats/production.
you made me insert the disc again           Anakoluth A Pebble in Your Eardrum's Shoe since 2001!
http://www.myspace.com/anakoluth
http://www.ektoplazm.com/profiles/anakoluth/
http://cronomi.com
ronen kalia

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 20, 2004 20:56
Let's fix the track list issue. The tracklist published here is not the correct one, its the SoulSeek tracklist (it seems the first ripper did it wrong).
The original tracklist is (and anybody who bought the CD can check):
01. Cylent Storm
02. 101 And Still Alive
03. Dust To Dawn
04. Atem (Remix)
05. The Memory
06. Inside
07. Break The Law
08. Bit Fire
09. New Moon
10. Rubber Dub
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : May 20, 2004 22:26
Ah, that could explain it. I took the track list from the web (a site: psychedelic mind expander 2000), instead of my own copy. And then for the review I was listening to the CD here at work while the case was at home. Whoops.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 20, 2004 23:00
Indeed, just bought this some time ago and it's just as good as his new Electric Universe album. So if you like Boris' style, you should check this one out also.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 21, 2004 12:18
Pretty good album... as good as the new EU. Nice change from the usual Full On dulness, but still nothing too special...           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
Setherian
Setherian

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Aug 14, 2004 22:40
yes...its very nice to listen some fresh stuff like this this days..I prefer much more to listen a fresh neo goa sound like the new sound of Boris then all this cliche plague around...Boris Blenn is the man!! Killer album.
Whats nice to realize here is that this guy is a true musician..he understands a looot about what he is doing! He is one of the most open minded guys in the business, h ecan do what ever music he wants and thats what he does (anyone ever listened Galaxy?) ... I like the retro nostalgic feeling in his music so much...not only the goa influence but even from german club energy trance .. hehe Boris music is so rich!
          The Devil Is In Detail!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss [Avatar 2004]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance