Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (PAR-2 Productions 2006) 2xCD
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (PAR-2 Productions 2006) 2xCD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Jun 28, 2006 17:28
Jikkenteki – The Long Walk Home

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/pz9ch

Artist: Jikkenteki (US/Japan)
Title: The Long Walk Home
Format: 2xCD (jewel case)
Label: PAR-2 Productions (US)
Cat. #: PAR002
Distribution: par-2.com
Date: 20 June 2006

Track listing:

CD1: Revelations And Moments Of Clarity
Samples: http://tinyurl.com/om3gg

01. 06’48” False Sense Of Security
02. 12’54” Ambiguity
03. 27’22” An Angel Takes Flight
04. 07’17” Chasing Raindrops
05. 15’31” Warmth In Cold Places

CD2: Moving Forward In The Real World
Samples: http://tinyurl.com/s6rxk

01. 14’00” Temporary Distractions
02. 08’46” Automagic
03. 08’33” Quietly Screaming
04. 07’12” Days Of The Weak
05. 06’20” Something New
06. 08’20” Different Paths
07. 09’11” Stepping Forward
08. 09’10” Warmth In Other Places

Review:

Double home-run!

Jikkenteki is American born/Japan-based producer Rennis Buchner who has been in the game for many years. He’s a founding member of PAR-2 Productions; he’s a raging music collector; a skilled DJ and a very talented producer of both party up-tempo and downbeat music… My first encounter with the works of this very talented producer was on the 2005 compilation A Walk Through Neptune’s Garden. That compilation and this debut album are both released on his own PAR-2 Productions label… The first release was an overlooked gem which I really, really enjoyed – and I’ve been looking forward to this double album ever since it was released… Let’s take a walk…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

CD1: Revelations And Moments Of Clarity

#01: False Sense Of Security
The album opens with a piece of melancholy, emotionally charged ambient… Well, it’s maybe more downbeat than ambient per se… The little nifty quirks and the echoing melody pieces and the subtle, sharply defined edge gives this track extra appeal… Wallpaper music that sticks with you!

#02: Ambiguity
Here’s another piece of extremely well-produced, well-thought-out, eclectic downbeat… Everything is subtle: The tribal percussion, the floating melodic pads, the dubby groove and the passionate synths… It’s sophisticated, dreamy and totally trippy! I think Rennis coined it completely when he described this track in the booklet… ‘It’s not completely dark, nor is it completely light. It just is’.

#03: An Angel Takes Flight
As most of the tracks here, this track has deep roots in life-changing events in Rennis’ life – and this lengthy tune is evidently a requiem for a close friend who passed away… And what a musical eulogy this is! This is story-telling – journey music if there ever was journey music! I cannot even begin to describe the many moods and the endless numbers of layers here – it’s like an entire album in itself pressed into one track… At first glance some of the melodies are maybe a little simple, but they are all part of something bigger and when they eventually morph into something completely different they’ll give you goose bumps... Trust me! It’s reminiscent of the way Aes Dana composes tracks really – only much, much longer! The weird ‘vocals’ made by a synth is pure, soothing ear candy. Very organic and very emotional! The guitar parts are frekkin awesome with their many surprising twists and turns… Same goes for the other solos with different instruments – all of them mastered to perfection by Jikkenteki… So yeah, all the individual elements kick some serious downbeat ass – and best of all together they form one hell of a majestic, epic, journey track! Hell yeah, this is awesome! Its 27 minutes of pure bliss and sheer talent mass!

#04: Chasing Raindrops
Up next is yet another eulogy track made for another one of Rennis’ friends who passed away… Even darker and deeper than Ambiguity, this is a piece of nocturnal, eerie downbeat… The pads are somewhat haunting and the melancholy toll of the bells is super emotional… You can cut the tension with a knife here – thrilling!

#05: Warmth In Cold Places
Of all the snippets, samples and half-completed tracks I heard before this album was released, Warmth In Cold Places was always the one that impressed me the most… This is an AMAZING piece of music! It’s epic, deep ambient at its best… It’s dubby, soothing and mellow. Kinda old-school too – like the missing track off the legendary Mystery Of The Yeti compilation… Obviously the Shpongle-link is evident, but this is very far from being just another clone – this is highly original, versatile, expanding downbeat music… From the mellow chanting to the dubby vibe and the enchanting melodies… Awesome stuff!

To be continued...           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Jun 28, 2006 17:28
... Continued.

CD2: Moving Forward In The Real World

#01: Temporary Distractions
This track serves as a bridge between the relaxed, downbeat vibe on CD1 and the more up-tempo, danceable vibe on CD2… So basically it starts as chilled musica and eventually transforms into a flaring, pounding trance tune… I find the full-power part of this track the best – it’s so unbelievably powerful and full-on (used as a superlative here…). I mean, just listen from the 10 minute mark and onwards! Wauw! The many twisted little quirks are just the icing on an already very tasty cake… Lovely!

#02: Automagic
This track has a pretty basic pattern of progression… A short beatless intro soon evolves into more head-bop friendly trance with the inclusion of subtle kicks… Nice and suave! What really elevates this track into another dimension is the phat, twirling acid lines that’s included for good measure later on… Rennis’ love for psychedelic dance music really shines thru here, and I’m certain this is a friendly nod back to the great producers of the past… It’s not old-school per se, but the acid lines sure are nostalgic… Nice track!

#03: Quietly Screaming
This track is a burst of rage – and the first track off the album to use a non-standard time signature… The non-linear structure works wonders here, and gives the track the ever-sought-after edge… I mean, those breakz and the flaring synth exploration bits are trippy and the general feel here is equally chaotic and simplistic… And whilst it might not be a stand-out track here, it certainly is unique… Break yoself fooL!

#04: Days Of The Weak
The chaotic, fragmented style continues on the next track which’s title is a FLA’esque play on words… The old-school intro is daring, but it pays off when the track eventually turns into a phat, banging party-choon… Equally melodic and wiggle-your-toe friendly… Again, it’s not a stand-out track, but the quality level is so high on this album, that this is still a very nice tune…

#05: Something New
Once again, Rennis experiments a great deal and seeks new adventures… And this track is definitely the oddball one off the album… It’s written in an odd time structure from front to back – and that does not go unnoticed… Despite the irregular beats and the non-linear structure, the track still possesses a very calm, soothing quality hidden well in behind all the alleged chaos and mayhem… In that regard, this track will please stoners, trippers and aliens alike… Another very unique tune… Check out the huge balls on Rennis! Ha!

#06: Different Paths
Next up is a turn back to more traditional morning trance… But hey, don’t get me wrong, this is still Jikkenteki and his music is anything but generic, so expect a lot of progression, evolution and sonic sound morphing… But in essence, this is still a very uplifting morning tune… Destined to crack a lot of smiles on the dancefloor… It’s fluffy in the non-cheesy fashion! I know I’m rocking out to this sweeeeeeet tune!

#07: Stepping Forward
And if it wasn’t party time before, it sure is now… This is an enormous, hair-splitting piece of 100% pure, unfiltered party music… Full-on? No way, this is fuller-on! Fast-paced, fully focussed, in-your-face, relentless psytrance… Extremely well-produced and both dancefloor and living room friendly… In the immortal words of Beavis; This rocks!

#08: Warmth In Other Places
To end the journey, Rennis has made a tranced-up version of Warmth In Cold Places from CD1… It’s another highly evolving track, which goes from mellow downbeat, to progressive sleekness over morning trance and finally ends up in full-blown party music… The breakdown is particularly well executed – and again I’m amazed by the sheer versatility of Rennis’ production talent! What a sweet tune!

Releasing a double album as your debut, might seem pretty adventurous and indeed brave in these trouble mp3-times, but Jikkenteki pulled it off – this is a VERY fine release! Some of these tracks have been years in the making, and that fact does not go by unnoticed... This is extremely well-produced, highly nurtured, detail rich, multi-flavoured music. Without being over-produced mind you! Both CDs are excellent, but the killaaaargh-factor is slightly higher on the first downbeat CD... I mean, just check out the two longest tracks – they are in a league of their own! Awesome stuff!

The second dancefloor CD also has a high concentration of stand-out tracks... A couple of the more experimental tunes don’t amaze me as much as the rest, but it’s not like they are bad... There is no bad music here at all – on the contrary, the quality level is impressive! And those stand-out tracks are absolutely gorgeous! Top drawer material for sure! It’s also impressive to observe just how wide-spanning those tracks are musically... This is a record store clerk’s nightmare... It’s gonna be impossible to file under a certain sub-genre! But Jikkenteki doesn’t give a fuck about puny details like that... He just wants to share his musical vision with the world... And what a vision that is!

The cover art is pretty nice too – without being overly impressive! The real gem though, is the informative booklet that holds interesting information on all tracks and so on... All in all, a very nice package – and best of all, it’s available directly from the PAR-2 website for only $13 including worldwide shipping! Now that’s the best damn bargain I’ve heard for a while! A safe purchase for fans of eclectic, psychedelic downbeat and versatile, up-tempo psytrance... Enjoy!

Favourites:
CD1: 3(!!), 5(!!)
CD2: 1, 2, 6(!), 7(!!), 8(!)

DeathPosture

External links:
PAR-2 Productions: http://www.par-2.com
Jikkenteki: http://www.myspace.com/par2jikkenteki
Discogs link: http://www.discogs.com/release/706745
Yahoo Shopping: http://tinyurl.com/olbxp
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/rof3c
Ebay: http://tinyurl.com/s2d6x           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Jun 28, 2006 20:40
Contrarily to what i was expecting from Jikkenteki, i must admitt it's the first cd (the ambient one) which catches my attention.

Track 1-> It's a piano tune embellished with satellistic sounds (some bleeps), immerged in abyssal layers; the whole thing evolving in a destructured tempo where everything appears to be in slow motion mode.

T 2->An acid rain in guise of melody is shyly falling over some nebulous layers & percussions which will be rejoined later on by a sleepyhead Drum n' Bass rythmic. On the second part, the small slighty sour rain at the beginning gets some few intensified without conviction for letting place to the first beams of an heavy sun. Even though the sun is still shinning, some water drops come-back like sometimes it happens when a rainbow is materializing in the sky for sealing the end of a rainy perturbation & also the finish of the tune.

T 3 -> Percussions are present here too, mainly accompanied by a slighty sour mewing then with a big booming bass. After 6"00 some volutes fly away & back in the roundabout. From 8"30 some feminine vocalizes can be heard & the song profits of it to slow down the tempo who took some speed with the volutes. Very slowly, the gait accelerates with some fx on sounds to arrive around 15" with a plaintive & distorded layer who seems giving the sign for a controlled burning. Around 18" the sounds are becoming more incisive & shrill, they lead to a magical o' fairy painting : is being revealed a little hidden lake in a cave which lets pass some luninal beams which get mirrored at the water's surface and thus light the roof 's cavern, allowing presage multiple dug passages long time ago. Follows an exploration of the different paths with the only help of the natural light more & more difused while progressing through it, such as a siren, the cavern's chant guides & incites you furthermore going deep inside its darker inexplorated parts.

T 4-> A very muffled atmosphere, with a discret melody emanating from a distorted piano, some scattered & few vigourish bleeps embellish the space who seems immense & empty of everything.

T 5->Title very much inspired by Shpongle, incanting voice's sample & especially from 6"30 it's the same lead & same melody that in Around The World In A Tea Daze i think.

Notice the Jikkenteki's speciality : the creation of long tunes, that's why you've got only 5 tracks (among them one over 20 minutes) on cd1 & 8 on cd 2.

I'll be quicker with the dancefloor cd as i got less connections with it, these tunes dissapoint me a bit compared to the 2 Jikkenteki tracks released on the first compilation-release of his Par-2 label.

Actually, i find out several leads to be weird/cheap & sometimes melodies or arpeggios are sounding clumsy.
Thus i'll only talk about songs who caught my attention.

T1-> Diesel title by excellence, as it's lasting around 13". Here i'm abstracting about the long intro(3") which doesn't make it on me unless there's a pretty long progress, reminding me somehow in their construction/evolutiob some old trance tunes such as Jam & Spoon - Follow Me or Union Jack - 2 Full Moon & a Troat.

T5->Interesting by its cosmic will-o'-the-wisp aspect & its floating final (which could have been better exploited as a middle break maybe...).

T7->I discern a little something of Optokoppler here, it's very postive & energic. I also feel an outdoor vibe through the sounds that i could qualified of 'fresh', not meaning here new but tones from a springful weather.

Verdict
Cd 1 (Ambient): 7,5/10
Cd 2 (Dancefloor): 6/10

I don't know what are the reasons motivating Jikkenteki for directly releasing a double CD for his debut album. After some reflexion, i think (i could be wrong) that's a premiere in the Psytrance scene, btw the total number of double psytrance album are also limited, hardly more than the whole fingers of one hand (Total Eclipse, Infected Mushroom, Deeper In Zen & maybe others i've forgotten...).
Generally the artists who have provide such a work, have also taken the opportunity and the risk of expressing different facets of their musical activities gathered in only one release, and just for that Jikkenteki already deserves some respect for The Long Walk Home without talking about the text/booklet giving explanations about the background history of the cd.
Jikkenteki
Jikkenteki

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 06:39
Quote:

On 2006-06-28 20:40, Le Lotus Bleu wrote:

T 5->Title very much inspired by Shpongle, incanting voice's sample & especially from 6"30 it's the same lead & same melody that in Around The World In A Tea Daze i think.

Thanks for the reviews guys. I normally try to stay out of reviews where I am involved but I feel the need to say something about this comment here.

I was initially rather confused by this claim that "from 6"30 it's the same lead & same melody that <is> in Around The World In A Tea Daze" as they aren't the same. After thinking about it and comparing the two tracks, in hindsite I realized they both have ethnic male vocals and some pizzicato string lines going on at different parts of the song so I guess I can see how someone might see a similarity there but a quick listen shows that they are not the "same" and any similarity was purely coincidence and in no way intentional on my part.           New Album: Jikkenteki - Flights Of Infinity
Available for free at http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/jikkenteki-flights-of-infinity/
PAR-2 Productions http://www.par-2.com
Anak
Anakoluth

Started Topics :  108
Posted : Jul 6, 2006 23:25
this might be the best piece of music i've heard since long. everything here is like perfect for me...its hard to name one or more faves coz they all just seem to belong together. it contains almost everything i could wish psytrance to contain...like my personal apotheosis for psytrance indeed.

keep it up big time, rennis!           Anakoluth A Pebble in Your Eardrum's Shoe since 2001!
http://www.myspace.com/anakoluth
http://www.ektoplazm.com/profiles/anakoluth/
http://cronomi.com
Zekazy

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 11, 2006 16:50
Rennis is one of the best chill producers out. And I dont just say that cause you know.. That´s just the way it is. Everyone should listen to this one. I bet you´ll find tracks that keeps you going til the next album.           http://www.zekazy.net
eXuUs
Exuus

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Aug 13, 2006 21:33
ohh cool looking forward to listen this cd ,. good luck Jikkenteki with this release           www.exuus.com
Anak
Anakoluth

Started Topics :  108
Posted : Oct 24, 2006 18:25
dammit, this cd still finds the way into my stereo every other day, and the md copy i made still accompanies me on my way to the office. there's so much to explore, really.

i cant believe my eyes that only such a little amount of people seem to have heard this gem!           Anakoluth A Pebble in Your Eardrum's Shoe since 2001!
http://www.myspace.com/anakoluth
http://www.ektoplazm.com/profiles/anakoluth/
http://cronomi.com
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (PAR-2 Productions 2006) 2xCD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance