Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Igneous Sauria - Skint (Headstick Recordings, 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Igneous Sauria - Skint (Headstick Recordings, 2004)

krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Oct 11, 2004 22:41
Artist: Igneous Sauria
Album: Skint
Label: Headstick Recordings
Genre: Progressive Trance
Year: September 2004

Tracklisting:

01. Crying Chimney Rombolette
02. Rotation
03. Chameleon
04. Order and Security
05. Bash
06. Frod
07. Nothing for Something
08. Snow White
09. Adaptor

Igneous Sauria is a name not unfamiliar to psy-trance connoisseurs - his first album, Encephalophagus (Creamcrop, 2003) was highly received in progressive circles, and the follow-up effort has been a subject of much anticipation. Greek producer Chris Tatitzikidis finally ends the wait with Skint, the inaugural release on his own label, Headstick Recordings.

The music:
Skint offers a nice variety of styles, combining equal parts of Process-esque digital minimalism and dark progressive atmospheric layering, with pinch of frantic percussion. The strongest dancefloor moments are found in the galloping and subtly melodic tracks “Rotation” and “Snow White” – the mysterious overtones and heavy groove are sure to give the floor a serious workout. Additionally, the lush and atmospheric closer “Adaptor” is a surprising late-morning progressive gem with its warm throbbing bassline, heavenly eastern-flavored chanting, and head-bobbing percussion. The process-like “Frod” has the psycho-digital feel highly reminiscent of the first album from Process, almost feeling like a precisely tuned psychedelic machine churning out beats and synthetic grooves. A few of the tracks (“Bash” and “Nothing for Something”) occasionally feel as though they get lost in minimalist noodling, but fortunately the album closes with its 2 best tracks to bring it back, to accessibility.

Overall:
While occasionally getting lost in the groove of plodding minimalism, Skint still provides more than enough shining moments to leave the listener with no sense of disappointment. To those missing the darkish minimal sounds from a couple years ago, there are definitely sounds to please. For those looking for a more full-throttle mechanicanistic prog-psychedelic sound, they got ya covered as well. And for those wanting a super-smooth house-inspired morning number, the 11+ minute closer will suit you perfectly.

Skint is not ground-breaking, but it’s totally solid and damn fun.

Rating: 7/10

Favorite tracks: 2, 6, 8!!, 9!!!

-----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Oct 12, 2004 17:55
Nice review Krelm...

My personal favorites at the moment are...
Tracks 1 & 6...
and track 9 is an epic house groover that really gets the hairs standing on end!

http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Oct 13, 2004 14:03
Quote:

On 2004-10-12 17:55, Glen@resonoise/anagha wrote:
and track 9 is an epic house groover that really gets the hairs standing on end!

This one is probably my favorite track on the album. It was surprising to hear it since it was such a drastic departure from the music on the rest of the album. Do you know if Chris has plans to make any more of this style?
          -----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
igneous
Igneous Sauria

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Oct 15, 2004 12:53
Adaptor was originally a Vagua track (my progressive house sideproject)... We were looking for a track to put as the last for the album and figured that this would be a good fit for it, since it is a lot slower than the rest of the tracks, but it is still very trancey...

Glad you liked it!
opsis
opsis

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Oct 25, 2004 14:31
This album is a must.
The ideas inside are far from conventional.
Nice one Kriss!           
http://www.opsis-music.com
kops

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 31, 2005 04:05
The same lyrics sung by female (rather not the same sample) that used in Adaptor apears in Cell's -Sensitiv' Garden (Phonic Peace album) at 3: 25
Justin Chaos
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Jun 5, 2005 21:01
Grooovieee           My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 6, 2005 17:35
Yeah, good album. But for those that are looking for more melodic or proggy style here, they will get a bash in the gut from this. This is minimal like it was released a while back. And not just any minimal, this is cutting edge stuff. Some of the sounds in these tracks are strangely subtle. Like the haunting microsound like layers that sit in the beginning of 'Frod' ... wow. This is just excellently done. Overall, this is a great listen, especially with headphones on. Last track is a nice finisher as well, although this is a lot more in the proggy style we're used to nowadays. As for the rest? Kicking minimal stuff with lots of variations in bassline, claps, hi-hats. Trust me, if you like it minimal you'll love this. 8/10 from me here.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
igneous
Igneous Sauria

Posted : Dec 8, 2005 13:07
cheerio, but i think we'been a while back anyway.... i have done this more than 1 and a half yearz ago!
          ----------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/headstickdigital
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 8, 2005 14:31
Quote:

On 2005-12-08 13:07, igneous wrote:
cheerio, but i think we'been a while back anyway.... i have done this more than 1 and a half yearz ago!

Yup, but even then minimal stuff like this wasn´t all that ´hip´ anymore like it was in 2001 say. Anyway, I was referring to that period. How´s the new stuff coming by the way?           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
igneous
Igneous Sauria

Posted : Dec 9, 2005 10:16
Actually have made skint as a collection of tracks that I did on various periods. It wasn't just new tracks, but tracks worked on even during 2000-2001 (nothing for something - a remix of "something" originally an algorithmic disorder track & order and security made yearz and years ago man, while still in england). Did i put just 3 new tracks I think. Yes it was "rotation","snow white" and "adaptor" that were sensirely new, the rest where made during 2002-2003. I had really given up on making stuff for about a year. I am making a new CD, had loads of probs with the label and payments and cosmophilia, that's the reason headstick/joystick didn't have any releases since june. Now we are in the process of making a contract with the wirikuta guyz, and we will be releasing the new igneous album by end of year, out in the shops during hopefully january. man, yaniv, he's such a slow payer! I think things well go better this time...           ----------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/headstickdigital
CRX(HSS Records)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Dec 9, 2005 23:39
from my point of view one of the best releases ever came out of a Hellenic studio.
keep up the good work.it's not my style but works perfectly for chilling after an intense night(ifu know what I mean )
respect
          Helicon Sounds Music
www.hssr.gr
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Igneous Sauria - Skint (Headstick Recordings, 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance