Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - How to
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

How to

Rework
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 3, 2015 12:46:48

Some of me leads sounds thin, how can I make them fat, crisp and juicy with sylenth1?
          https://soundcloud.com/peter-fh
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Apr 3, 2015 16:37
I think some of it is simply down to how you mix, maybe. There's a couple of things one can do to fatten up the sounds at the source, but then it also changes the sound... No problem having a single oscillator lead, except it won't fill the entire spectrum on its own (like those you have), but it can still sound huge and bouncy if you give it the space and write the sequence appropriately. Even simple sounds made with sine waves alone have their place, right? Could be something like that. If you want more balls, maybe use another oscillator tuned an octave bellow. Or two similar oscillators detuned a bit apart from each other and free running (so that there's some phasing and beating). Or record two slightly different mono versions of the same and mix them together and then post process them wide and with some saturation mixed in, some tempo based, stereo fx on tops...

But on some sounds on your mix, I feel like it could be an octave down? 'Cause it only seems to catch the high mids and highs, and for real meat you're going to need those low mids and maybe back off on the highs a little bit.

Hope it helps somehow. Cheers

frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Apr 3, 2015 16:49
What I meant was like: if you have a simple sound going everywhere, like playing a melody, simply changing notes a lot, then it's going to take reserving that range - it's both to do with arrangement and mixing. If you want a single lead to occupy a large portion of the spectrum, then you're going to need to fill it more with harmonics, which usually comes down to using more oscillators and richer waveforms to beef it all up. Watch those modulation amounts, where modulation starts and where it lands, if that's the case, or the range it covers for cycled modulation (lfos and looped envs and stuff like that). Watch those high pass filters on your mix, don't over cut those lows and mids, use your ears and don't rely on any hard set rules, like cutting everything on 200Hz, for instance. There's no such rule, everything depends on everything else.
Sunrise Travellers
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Apr 3, 2015 19:53
Detune the leads can really help the sound to be more present. As frisbeehead mentioned it also layer the sound in some cases is the way you will go. A nice touch of distortion can be help also a lot. Give big attention to the eq, sometimes a nice low shelf is better than a straight cut.

...into the wild....
moleqlarsuperstructure
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Apr 11, 2015 13:13
well i hear your track. and theres only one word. its not compressor. not saturator no effect. its simple. EQ. learn how to EQ on every single instrument. take 2 if you need 2 take 5 if you need 5. cheers.           
http://soundcloud.com/neonjade
Oni Katsu
Li/fe

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Apr 13, 2015 16:53
For the bassline (Which is pretty fat btw) I'd like the first note to be more prominent. Either less threshold on the Sidechain, or make the note a little longer, preferably less threshold. Then smack out some more loudness on the kick.

For the lead, i honestly am VERY careful with the EQ around 500hz. it sounds simply too hi-passed. Reverb and delay also fattens your mix, so don't be afraid of making some funky patterns with delay and widen it with a semi-long reverb!            http://soundcloud.com/li-fe

I said I like it dirty, not muddy.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - How to

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance