Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  South Africa - Groovy Troopers + Turbo Trance Records :: Triptych Live! :: 30 April 2005
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Groovy Troopers + Turbo Trance Records :: Triptych Live! :: 30 April 2005

Trooper

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Apr 17, 2005 15:49
Interview with Triptych

Charles Michaud, the man behind Triptych, isn't afraid to reach beyond borders. Touted for his unique and original style, Charles's production skills are flawless and his dynamic sound is clear, powerful and genre-busting. A wizard behind the decks and a regular psy-trance favoutite, his time is divided between his studio in France and globe-trotting. Touring the world promoting Triptych and his label Turbo Trance, Charles is due to make a turn in South Africa on April 30th. We managed to track him down in Chile.

BPM: Your work has taken you all around the world. Is globetrotting from party to party exhausting, enriching ... or both?

Triptych: Every artist who plays internationally has had his fair share of frustration! But meeting so many different kinds of people - musicians, promotors and party-people - makes it all worthwhile. My favourite person is actually someone who's name I don't even know. All I know is that he's built some of the most amazing rigs that I've ever played on! Everytime we bump into one another backstage there's an instant recognition and these huge grins spreading all over our faces. We both share a common goal - creating the best sound possible!

BPM: Speaking of creating sounds, your new album, Electrology (due for release in March) has had quite a few people in the know talking.

Triptych: I've been playing live with some of the material for a while and it's had a great response. The new tracks explore sonic areas that range across the spectrum of electronic music without losing the psy-trance groove ... and they've had everyone bouncing! Electrology is definitely about breaking boundaries. So while last year's album Lost Paradises was more traditionally psy-trance, this one is richer and more diverse.

BPM: Does this mean that you're breaking away from the full-on and psy-sounds?

Triptych: No, but it does mean that I'm exploring new ways of producing music. Right now, the full-on and psy parts of the scene seem to be getting harder and darker without necessarily getting more innovative. The progressive side of the scene, however, seems to be exploring new horizons and new forms of production. In general, I'd say that the progressive scene tends to be ‘smarter' and that's why I've tried, with Electrology, to work more like a progressive artist while keeping to the full-on sound. Sticking to the same formula for too long is deadly for the scene, but fortunately there are a few artists who are producing fresh sounds.

BPM: A lot of people have drawn comparisons between your music and Protoculture's ...

Triptych: Nate and myself have different styles, but there's a good synergy between us. We've exchanged ideas and worked on a few remixes ... there's even a small chance that we could work on a more serious project in the future. Our paths seem to be crossing a lot these days! Last year we played at the same parties in Mexico and Brazil and more recently in Switzerland. We'll even be playing at the same party in South Africa on April 30!

BPM: Are you excited about coming here?

Triptych: I've never visited before and I can't wait! Every country has its own unique scene and approach to throwing parties, but a lot of people are saying that SA stands out. It seems to be an important place for psy-trance and I'm chuffed about acting as Turbo Trance's ambassador to Cape Town.

BPM: Some have called you Turbo Trance's frontman. Can you tell us about your label?

Triptych: The undisputed frontman of Turbo Trance is Dj L'Elf. He's an amazing guy to brainstorm with and the best label manager ever! Although I was the first exclusive Turbo Trance artist (most labels only sign artists on as freelancers), we now have Psypilot onboard as another permanent member. He's an astounding sound engineer and producer from Switzerland. But there's also a new and very talented band from Isreal, Elec3, who are working on their first album with us. Beka (Australia), Senix and Onyks (from France), Thiago (Brazil), Bogus (Switzerland) and Ninja are also onboard.

BPM: Any last words for aspiring electronic musicians out there?

Triptych: It's important to be in touch with all the complexities of music. I try to listen to and explore as many different styles as possible, drawing on anything from classical to electro-funk for inspiration. I also keep in touch with new software developments. There's always so much more to do with sound! This is what Electrology is all about - sonic innovation.

(This interview is reproduced with the kind permission of BPM Magazine)
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 18, 2005 17:08
Sweet......this is gonna be KILLER!

Turbo sound rig until the LAST person has gone home!

And i gets to play on it!

WHOOHOOOO!!
Sway

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 19, 2005 16:24
check out :: http://turbotrance1.free.fr/Triptych_back_Turbo.jpg

All the details you'll need!
Trooper

Posted : Apr 22, 2005 01:03
At last, here is an update! The additional info are as follow:

Motion Pool:

Sarasin & Sterealkey will be joining the madness on the main floor.

Viral Lounge:

Both Alex and Chilled Alaskan DJ has decided that they will be doing a Live Show rather than just DJing, For those that saw them at Absolum (Benguela (Alex is a band Member) & Chilled Alaskan) will realise that this is not to be missed, real live shows!

Psyblime:

A Progressive Psychedelic Trance DJ, Kara Mahl from Switzerland will be joining the deck on Psyblime Floor.

It is all very exciting, Troopers are very busy with pre-production and all can expect a show that will be remembered!
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 22, 2005 13:58
Any idea of slot times yet yo?

Specifically....what time i will be playing?

damage
damage

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Apr 22, 2005 14:53
not trying to diss you sarasin, but a profesional dj will contact the organisers directly to find out this kind of info....

DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 25, 2005 10:34
err.....like mind your own business man!

DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 25, 2005 10:35
like maybe when once you have come back and played here in CT again.....ONE DAY!.........u can tune me .....AIIIII!

MoFo!

psyklonus

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Apr 26, 2005 03:17
sounds like an awsome party, wish i could be there. Yeah Tone deaf junkies!! Damien and Dimitri!!!!!
djsenix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Apr 30, 2005 20:05
Nice interview charlie !
Good luck for this event           All I need is beautiful melodies...
Planet Ben Records // Tree Hand Music
http://www.djsenix.com
http://www.myspace.com/senix
http://www.myspace.com/mysterymenlive
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : May 2, 2005 16:27
WOW!

What a PARTY!

I played as it started to RAIN!

no one left the dancefloor!

Great sound system....and equipment....and 100% effort by the Troopers!

THANK YOU!

Ps.....was great to meet you Charles! I was the tall guy who played before Slug!

-*protoculture*-
protoculture

Started Topics :  7
Posted : May 2, 2005 21:44
Anyone got a more detailed review, I had to run home after I played to catch a plane to Japan, so I kinda missed out on all the fun. Gotta say though, big up to the Groovy Troopers crew, its the first time in a long time I've seen a venue inside Cape Town rock so hard with such a good turn out.
charles
Triptych

Posted : May 3, 2005 09:24
hello

What an amazing party, what a very good crowd!
I was really happy to play for Groovy Troopers for my first trip in South Africa. Everything was perfect, the venue, the sound, the vibes, the people...

BIG BIG UP to Groovy Troopers! Big respect to Delphi and Jacques, keep up the good work
and i was very happy to see again my friend Nate and all the people i met in Cape Town!

hope to see all of you soon!

Cheers

"And i saw the angel come down unto me"

www.soleadmusic.com
slug
Slug

Posted : May 4, 2005 09:26
I only caught the last few tracks of the Protoculture set, but it sounded tight - was that a RadioHead remix???!

In fact, all the music was good. I liked the musical cross-over in the Triptych tunes, nice instrumentation. And very well produced!!

I was pleasantly surprised at the crowd that partied on straight through the rain. By sunrise it had mostly stopped, and a really nice day-time party got going on the roof-top.

Some of the pics I took are on my blog here:

http://www.psyblog.org/archives/2005/05/03/groovy-troopers-pics/

The DMMT live set was definitely the best I've heard from them.

Great work on all the details of this party. Look foward to the next one. Thanks for the set Groovy Troopers!
damage
damage

Started Topics :  15
Posted : May 4, 2005 17:47
nice pics slug. looks like fun
Trance Forum » » Forum  South Africa - Groovy Troopers + Turbo Trance Records :: Triptych Live! :: 30 April 2005
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance