There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ghreg On Earth - T³ - (USP) - 2009
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Ghreg On Earth - T³ - (USP) - 2009

Hagbard

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jan 7, 2010 16:11:54
Ghreg is back with his second album – T3. This time he’s on a brand new label called Underground Sound Promotions, a label dedicated to promoting the underground sound and not so known artists.

I’ve been waiting for this follow up for quite some time, so I’m quite excited to be doing a review of it. I figure I may as well start of BeginnerDJ with this review, something out of the ordinary for most but something I think you’d like.

After his first album, Sigilweaver, it’s hard to believe Ghreg can follow up such an amazing album. This time around, T3 pulls out a lot of the stops and just smashes your face with dark psytrance beats.

What makes Ghreg so great is that he doesn’t fall into the usual dark psytrance crowd. Darkpsy is iffy at times because a lot of producers just don’t put a lot of effort into the genre, you always end up with basic basslines and non inspirational leads. Ghreg on the other hand just sends you through all sorts of mind fucts – wizzy noises, great sampling, and basslines which make you shit yourself.

So, let’s take a look at the new album T3 by Ghreg on Earth.

With all pretentiousness aside…

The Lost Coast
Although starting out a bit slow, this track builds up into a bit of guitar sampling and glitchy symphonics which reminds you of some twisted carnival ride at the hands of a drunken conductor. It’s not so much that it pounds at you but instead it acts like a warm up of more to come. With T3 opening with The Lost Coast – you know Ghreg is back.

All Paths Paranoia
All Paths Paranoia is a simple but really great track. The best part about this track is the electronic “voices” throughout the song that talk to you. I’ve always been a big fan of producers who try to have their synths talk to you so this track hits it right on the head. It finally ends in a torrent of clangy and glitchy noises, spinning round and round, almost dizzying but such a wonderful sickening feeling.

Subterranean Bliss
Subterranean Bliss opens with punchy kicks and a nagging stab. Like the name, it gives off this vibe that you’re descending into some kind of darkness. You get the sense that you’re beginning to loose your direction. This is the point in T3 that it begins to move you, you’ve been bobbing your head but now you’re getting in a bit of the body.

Permutation City
Ah, now we’re really getting into the essence of Darkpsy. The bassline is much thicker and dark, the ambiance is beginning to take a cryptic tone and alertness. Like the title, it’s like you’re in some post-apocalyptic world set to a soundtrack of terror.

Diabolical Topologies
This one is just a filler track, a bit of dark ambiance and moodiness that warms up the next track…

Time Body Mechanics
This track came out of left field! At first it sounds like you’re about to listen to a DnB track but the ambiance fades it away, but then, oh shit, it comes back to this Darkpsy DnB beat. This track reminds me of a slightly slowed down Neurofunk track, but with a lot more psy undertones.

Time Body Mechanics is a nice transition and breakup of the album, setting the next tone for the rest of the album.

Super Lucid Trajectory
What a sick track. Ghreg begins to experiment with darkpsy dubstep. I’ve heard some dark ambient dubstep before but this is completely different and unexpected. I really wish the track was longer than it was, it has so much force.

Neverware
After that little break of experimenting, it’s right back into the dark psy. This track is a doozy, hitting an 11 minutes, quite longer than the other tracks on the album. This track has this odd flute effect to it which, for some reason or another, makes me think of some demented pied piper.
There’s just so much going on with this track that it’s hard to describe all of the thoughts you get from it. Neverware is perhaps the best track from T3 – it’s such a solid hit.

Apex Stellarium
The final track of T3. Apex Stellarium takes you through one final dark ride. It sounds as if you’re finally leaving some forsaken land to return to the normal world. You’ve finally escaped the grasp of Ghreg on Earth.

Final Thoughts

T3 is rather hard album to review because of Ghreg’s first album Sigilweaver, but in fairness I don’t want to be judgemental and biased. You expected to be pounded by ripping basslines and squelching acid leads but instead it was much more moody and ominous. T3 overall has this sound as if you’ve just entered some dark and twisted surreal world. Your journey though Ghreg’s land is as if he’s puppetting your every move, leading you deeper into some hellish world.

Overall I’d say T3 is an excellent follow up to Sigilweaver. Instead of going a generic route of filling up and album with similar songs, Ghreg has set T3 apart from his previous work by experimenting with new fusions.

Both of the albums will compliment each other well and could easily be listened to back to back or even mixed up.
I like this album. It was worth the wait.

Rating: 7.5/10

http://www.discogs.com/Ghreg-On-Earth-T3/release/2007743

(repost: http://www.beginnerdj.com/ghreg-on-earth-t3)
maggot

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jan 8, 2010 07:39
gr8 album from gr8 artist , some moody atmospheric tunes not only full dancefloor all songs , is very nice
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jan 8, 2010 13:40
Im enjoying the album though its not an immediate sort of album...which is great!!!! I discover something new at every new listening...

From composition/production point of view, its full of new stuff to explore: textures, percussions and great use of "informal" leads...great source of inspiration!!! I find the production level pretty high...

Thumbs up Ghreg...congrats!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
romanna

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jan 9, 2010 06:46
sign my titties mr. earth!!!!!
bbgun

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 2, 2010 09:06
Was a bit critical at first, but I'm starting to love tracks 3,4,5,6, 9,10. Good work!
funky
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Apr 2, 2010 13:40
Quote:

On 2010-04-02 09:06, bbgun wrote:
Was a bit hard to chew at first

fixed

tracks 3,4,9,10(!) i iz feeling it
Braindrop
Braindrop

Started Topics :  140
Posted : Apr 4, 2010 13:24
Super album actually!!... Unfortunately, didnt listen to it much when i got it and took a while to sink in...unlike Sigilweaver (which was love at first sound )..... But really diggin it now! good amalgamation of styles, and very intelligent!

www.braindrop.in
spiralx2

Posted : Jan 7, 2012 16:46
Tea Time At Lonliness Chasm is beast from deep abbys!!
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jan 12, 2012 10:31
Love my original copy
spiralx2

Posted : Sep 4, 2014 19:27
There are T3 ambient remixes by Ghreg at

And new album Photon Grimoires
http://www.beatspace.com/8095/MindFull+Records/GHREG+ON+EARTH/Photon+Grimoires+/detail.aspx

T3 album - http://www.beatspace.com/5295/Underground+Sound+Promotions/GHREG+ON+EARTH/T%B3/detail.aspx
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ghreg On Earth - T³ - (USP) - 2009

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance