Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Genetic Spin - Backspin (nervine rec's - 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Genetic Spin - Backspin (nervine rec's - 2004)

snowflake

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jun 24, 2004 13:19
Well I'm writing this review with Trip's thread in mind...
First I must say that I agree with most oppinions that were expressed there. Naturaly one would write about music he likes. but a review should be a review and not a competition on how many superlatives you can write about a track (good or bad).

So it's quite hard for me to write this review, because this new release from Genetic Spin on the most promising label Nervine Rec's is something special.
You see, I truely believe this release is one to remember. First of all, it's the album concept, the musical direction Genetic Spin takes on this release.
On\Off, their previous release caught my ear from the first tune. Excellent minimal sounds with a groovy progressive vibe, music I find to be very very pstchedelic. On this new one, it feels like they took a step forward. Keeping their groovy vibe, but with a twist!
The basslines practicly talk and dance throughout the album, nice full-on oriented basslines. Rhythm section sits nice n' tight on top of it. Completed with melodic synths that fills up the space between you and the speakers. All of this Wrapped with top of the notch production....

Basicaly, the thing that makes this one quite speacial to me, is the fact that this combination of full-on and progressive elements is an idea I try to follow composing my own music. This is a direction that i would like to see evolving in the trance scene, which naturally I would like to take part of it in times coming.

If Genetic Spin's On/Off is a very night tiem music oriented release. This time you get a bit more daytime feel from it.
IMHO every track from "Backspin" is a playlist possibility in a set. Each track presents us with a different story, but the whole of it is "spoken" in the same language, the same dialect....
I realy don't know wether this one is "the albums of the year", as we all realized it's a statement that doesn't realy compliment anymore, but it's definatly one to remember (....at least to me, after all)

tracklist:
1. Birds
2. Lord of the Strings
3. Flowmotion
4. Alcon
5. Local Dadios
6. Side FX
7. Full Onion
8. Lord of the Strings (silicon sound rmx)

my extra attention goes to: 6,7 & 8 (which I guess can be a dancefloor anthem for this summer)

Peace n' Love
snow

btw, I'm realy "sorry" that I couldn't find a bad word to say on this one, but after all my taste in music is my taste in music (and this one describe exactly my taste in music...), there's nothing i can do about it....           Out Here We're Stoned....
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jun 24, 2004 13:36
I agree that the combination of full on and progressive is interesting, and overall it’s well done on the Danish duos 2nd album.

Some fans of “On/Off” will probably be disappointed with “Backspin”, but I’m positive their new richer sound will find new fans as well - People who find much of today’s full on to stressful and childish, and are looking for a more laidback and groovy approach with scando elements.

I wouldn’t go as far as calling it album of the year though, especially not with all those excellent releases we’ve seen so far. Some tracks are weaker than others, but overall it’s a noteworthy album that I’ll definitely recommend.

At the moment my favourites are the 2 versions of “Lord Of The Strings”, and I agree that the Silicon Sound remix could be a big hit at the summer festivals.

7,5/10          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 24, 2004 14:02
I'm a big fun of On/Off and a bit disappointed with their new sound which is more like full-on oriented when I listened to sample...but I ordred it anyway...genetic spin with silicon sound should be interesting.           Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Jul 19, 2004 17:45
I am absolutely amazed that there are not more reviews of this album here! I was never into Genetic Spin before, but somehow the samples grabbed me, and I've been loving the album as well. Here is a short review I wrote for it....

Artist: Genetic Spin
Album: Backspin
Label: Nervine Records
Genre: Progressive Trance
Year: June 2004

Tracklist:

1. Birds
2. Lord of the Strings
3. Flowmotion
4. Aclon
5. Local Dadios
6. Side Fx
7. Full Onion
8. Lord of the Strings (Silicon Sound rmx)

With only 4 years of production under their belts, Danish artists Genetic Spin already have an impressive discography with a CD maxi, numerous compilation appearances and now 2 full-length albums. With Backspin, this young pair takes a step forward, bucking their minimalistic approach of the past, and exploring a more full, rich and shrewdly melodic sound. The atmospheric clarity and subtle rhythms of quality progressive trance are ever-present, but Backspin separates itself from the pack by incorporating massive throbbing basslines to give each track a distinctive combination of deep groove and pure energetic drive. There is music for all times of the party – the sinister ooze of “Lord of the Strings” and “Side FX” are perfect for the creepy nighttime moments, while the more melodic “Flowmotion” and “Local Dadios” are guaranteed to work any dancefloor under the sun into a frenzy. The only criticism is that the album is a little short - there are only 8 tracks, with one being a remix by Silicon Sound. Nevertheless, with little fanfare, Genetic Spin have created an outstanding album which further blurs the line between progressive and full-on, and will surely end up a summer favorite on all psychedelic dancefloors.

8/10
          -----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Jul 20, 2004 00:48
Didn't like it, 6,5/10, the best track is the silicon sounds remix imho. I think it has been down the hill for genetic spin, since their excellent lowrider release.           "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
Michael/Genetic Spin
Genetic Spin

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jul 20, 2004 12:15
On behalf of both Simon and I, I just want to thanx all of you for listening to our album and what makes me the most happy is that you hear it as a mix between progressive and full on, which was the intention with the album right from the beginning. We also knew by doing this that we would get some new listeners and disapoint some old listeners but in the end we felt this was the only right thing to do as we changed taste in music ourselves and had been travelling and got very influenced by the dancefloors in different countries.
At the moment we work on changing our style again and will hopefully be able to release some of the new tracks on various compilations.
We also seek influence from other artists so if you make music please contact us next time you come to Copenhagen. Well now I just talk, talk, talk so enought for now and once again thanx for all your support, hope to see you on the dancefloor!!!
All the best
Michael =)
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Jul 30, 2004 07:04
Hi... new listener right here. I enjoy the hybrid style here, its good for a crossover. Lord of the Strings is the real bomb here but I also find the dirty synths in Side FX to be rather irresistable, and Flowmotion has something going for it as well.
Neville Bone
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jan 11, 2005 18:52
It's good and very much psychedelic...
The only thing I don't like is that it's too repatitive...
Silcon Sound's remix is a 9 out of 10
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Genetic Spin - Backspin (nervine rec's - 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance