Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Floating Point 01 (Iboga, Dec. 2003)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Floating Point 01 (Iboga, Dec. 2003)

shahar
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  155
Posted : Dec 9, 2003 19:10
Floating Point 01 (Iboga, Dec. 2003)
1. Tomzen- Namaste 7:52
2. DMT- DeMaterializer (3rd edit) 7:21
3. Great Leap Forward- Sniff 6:56
4. Magneticon- Treehugger vs. Boomer 8:56
5. Crowd Control- Thor's Armpit 6:34
6. I.X.O.P.- Time for Sweetness 6:31
7. Puff Dragon- Lava 6:13
8. Fabel- Fortune-Teller 8:43
9. Anesthesia- Floating 7:55
10. Jules Verne- Sad Melodi 6:59

A new chill compilation from Iboga that promises to be a first in a series. The opening hypnotizes you immediately- amazing hypnotic psychedelic tribal chant from Tomzen- Namaste indeed. DMT follows with a different edit to DeMaterializer (released on ?) staying on tribal hypnotizing beats with a dreamy walk through psychedelic realms. Great Leap Forward moves to mellower psychedelic atmosphere to be followed in the same vain by the beautiful track by Magneticon with one of the most enchanting and touching emotional tunes I've heard in a long while, a bit sad yet optimistic. So beautiful! Next are Crowd Control, dunno what they think happens in Thor's Armpit exactly, but this is a nice simple intensifying track that flows with the atmosphere and is just pure fun. I.X.O.P. break the atmosphere to a more loungey feel, with a nice track nonetheless, still in mellow moods. Puff Dragon, usually a double one, continues in the same vein to more loungey worldmusic beats, me no like. Fabel goes back to the more hypnotic side of things, with monotonous tribal darbukas and dark forest feel- very trancey, very good. Anesthesia are Floating, but not floating me, with lo-techy sound, confusing changes and a mechanic, yet psychedelic feel. Samples aren't enough. Jakob Olsen, under the name Jules Verne with Sad Melodi, sad and beautiful indeed and a good finishing note that goes well with the start.

Bottom line: First half bring a perfect mellow psychedelic journey for winter, so together and so full of emotion. The second half gets a bit confused, but still has beautiful moments. A bit more effort might have made this into the perfect psychedelic winter chill experience. And still it has not-to-be-missed moments. Favorites: 1(!!), 2(!), 3, 4(!!), 5, 8, 10.
And a word about the cover, there's minimalism that is art, and there's one that is just cheap. This feels like the second and it's just doesn't feel nice or gives respect to the music which it cases.
          ---------------------------------------------
"Be the change you want to see in the world!"
M.K. Gandhi

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."
Aldous Huxley

bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jan 31, 2004 23:02
#1 is a nice male chant and quality chill break.
#2 would be a great dub tripout if it werent for the sample at the beginning and the end... call me picky.
#4 is a nice slow n swirly 4/4 track.
#8 is a nice rolling 4/4 chill ethnic deep space groover.
though they say "floating" too many times, #9 is some sweet goo. havent we heard that sample too many times already?! "floating up and away from my body...."
#10 has a trippy spooky vibe and nice harp.

7 is cheezy. the rest, no comment.?
Dovla
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Feb 1, 2004 21:30
Floating point is the second chill out compilation released on iboga and hopefully it won’t be the last. First off I have to say that the cover is just a bit too simple and doesn’t do the compilation justice. But the tracklist looks very promising.

01. Tomzen- Namaste (7:52)
The first track starts off really slow and very hypnotizing, with deep tribal drums and subtle melodies in the background. All the sounds keep echoing and the track really has a great feeling of depth. What really strikes out of course are the male voice samples that keep appearing from time to time. They tend to be a bit too loud but the track would sound just a bit too simple without them. A nice opening for sure!

02. DMT- DeMaterializer (3rd edit) (7:21)
These guys had their own album released on twisted a couple of years back. This track also sounds very deep and calm. What really bothers me is the female voice sample that sounds like it was made on a text to speech program. But a very nice rhythm is introduced and shortly after it a fantastic melody comes in which is so hypnotizing it’s incredible. It just makes you close your eyes and float. Apart from the main melody the track is filled with tiny little spacey sounds and bleeps but the melody really gives it that depth which moves you. Another fantastic track!

03. Great Leap Forward- Sniff (6:56)
I remembered these guys after the great album they had on Flying Rhino back in 2002. Apart from the great progressive trance tracks they also had a couple of experimental ones with a really nice breakbeat electro touch. This track also seems to head into that direction but of course it’s a lot more chilled. Some great drumwork is introduced at the start and the entire track keeps a nice breakbeat rhythm. On top of that a really nice synth melody comes in and it’s as hypnotizing as the one in the last track. And when it starts the breakbeat rhythm really comes into place. After the middle the track kind of wanders off a bit and loads of short samples and sounds are introduced but overall a very good track.

04. Magneticon- Treehugger vs. Boomer (8:56)
This track starts with a very dark melody and bassline and it takes a while before things get interesting but the first thing you notice is that it has a constant 4/4 beat. The main melody has a sort of a twirl and it just keeps going back and forth but it’s not really that hypnotizing and doesn’t really move me.

05. Crowd Control- Thor's Armpit (6:34)
Now this track is really weird. It has the sweetest melody and it’s just funny, sad and energizing at the same time. It’s kind of hard to play this in a set since it starts from a really slow pace to a really fast beat. It sounds really magical in the start but after the beat kicks in this is an entirely new track which drives you really fast. After the hard acid lines come in you really start to think about how this would affect people on a chill our floor and having played this I can say that it’s funny to see the reaction. The track slows down at the very end and the magical melody is introduced again with some funny voice samples. A very nice track but difficult to mix in a chill out set.

06. I.X.O.P.- Time for Sweetness (6:31)
This one sounds a bit weird as well. The beat is really broken all the way but the main role goes to the fantastic drums and a really nice melody. The track is also filled with loads of short bleeps and voice samples which kind annoy me. Although the track has loads of sounds and the production quality is really great it’s just a bit too aggressive for my set. It is mellow but the beat is just so broken and simply too dynamic for a chill out set.

07. Puff Dragon- Lava (6:13)
Steve Good is also known as Double Dragon which is a trance project. This track starts of with a really nice melody which sounds a bit cheesy at first but after the rest of the track elements come in it really becomes a nice whole. It’s probably the most melodic track on the entire compilation but it gets a bit boring after a while since the only thing you hear apart from the melodies is a simple beat. So they tend to be a bit over the top. But a nice track all the same.

08. Fabel- Fortune-Teller (8:43)
This Fabel track was made by Jeppe from Phony Orphants and it starts with loads of dark tribal sounds and a bit of a hypnotizing atmosphere. It’s not really a complex track but it has some really original sounds and a fantastic bassline that appears near the middle. Shortly after it the beat starts to roll in a standard 4/4 fashion. It’s a very deep and monotonous track and doesn’t really move me in a chill way.

09. Anesthesia- Floating (7:55)
The sounds in this track really remind me of some of those sounds in old super mario games on the gameboy. A beat starts very soon and the entire track sounds kinda electrified but the voice sample is definitely too much as it keeps repeating. Although it has a bit of a psychedelic atmosphere it’s still a bit too experimental for me. Just as the track really starts to annoy me there is a nice little break and a soft melody comes in. But the track continues in the same fashion. Not my cup of chai.

10. Jules Verne- Sad Melodi (6:59)
The last track on the compilation starts very slowly in an epic fashion. And truly, it’s just a sad melody; there isn’t much to tell here apart from the slow and mellow sounds that just keep changing. This is really an ambient track which after the previous one really clams you down. So there is not much to describe here but it sure does give this compilation a great ending.

In the end I can say that I would have liked this compil more if there were fewer tracks with aggressive beats and breaks since I am looking at it from a chill out dj perspective. Most tracks on the compilation are fantastic and this style is just what I’ve been looking for. Not too world music, reggae or psychedelically orientated but just a nice mellow chill style which is easy to listen to when you need a brake from dancing.

Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 5
Rating: 9/10           DJ Dovla | Interchill Records, Flow Records
www.dovla.info
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Floating Point 01 (Iboga, Dec. 2003)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance