Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Filteria - Sky Input (Suntrip Records 2004) CD
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Filteria - Sky Input (Suntrip Records 2004) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Dec 2, 2004 23:27
Filteria – Sky Input

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/6yf5r

Artist: Filteria (Sweden)
Title: Sky Input
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Suntrip Records (France/Belgium)
Cat. #: SUNCD01
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 22 November 2004

Track listing:

01. 10’35” Operation Pulse
02. 09’43” Stars (Starstuff Remix)
03. 08’26” Navigate
04. 09’01” The Snuggling Snail
05. 09’05” Domestic Modulator
06. 11’04” Ultimator!
07. 09’14” Galactic Rays
08. 07’46” Sky Input

Review:

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in…

Meet Jannis Tzikas a.k.a. Filteria: Originally from Greece but now residing in Stockholm, Sweden. He’s a 21 year old music producer and basically the personification of goa trance anno 2004. He’s been lurking under the surface for some time now, developing musical skills in the art of melodic goa trance. His love affair with classic goatrance has now materialized in this debut album, released on Suntrip Records – a fresh label, recently started by psynews.org godfathers Mars & Anoebis -dedicated to bringing melodic, psychedelic trance back into the scene…

After months of hype following his much acclaimed live-performances throughout Europe, the much anticipated album is finally here – before I pop it in my stereo, let me just take a second to comment on the very lovely artwork cooked up by Ukiro…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Operation Pulse [144 BPM]
First up is Operation Pulse which kicks things off with an eerie Twin Peak like intro… But it’s not long before a couple of Filteria-acid lines pop up… At first they’re playing around merrily, hinting what’s about to unfold… And the prophecy was right – before you know it, you’re in the middle of a multilayered, complex, highly melodic morning stomper… And that really encompasses what I love about Filteria’s style… Trippy, spacey, magical!

#02: Stars (Starstuff Remix) [146 BPM]
Holy fuck – this one makes the soft hairn on my arms become punkies… *g* This is a full-blow, climax-ridden, melodic morning tune in the true goa-sense with heavy Eastern influences and wall-to-wall psychedelia… I can’t believe how many layers this has – and how Jannis continues to amaze me with the endless amount of melodies he pulls of out his sleeve… Thick, strong, Pleiadians influences - beautifully crafted… Get stoned and watch the stars – and let this be your soundtrack!

#03: Navigate [148 BPM]
Try navigating through this… This is the fastest track here - goatrance with a distinct darker flavour… Twirling acidlines, stiff kicks, Jupitor6 distortion and hardcore tweak-o-rama… Check out the digital birds – that hummingbird must’ve slurped some acid instead of nectar... Pheew – this track is so intense… Brace yourself!

#04: The Snuggling Snail [144 BPM]
“I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a chocolate declare. That's my dream. That's my nightmare” Jannis samples the Apocalypse Now spoof on Celebrity Deathmatch… The snail-track is also a little darker than the most melodic parts of the album… It has a bouncy feel to it – the pads are somewhat raw, and the melodies highly trance-inducing… I really dig the breaks and build-ups – and the tons and tons of melodies put forth here…By real analogue synths mind you! Klonk (the sound of my jaw dropping…)

#05: Domestic Modulator [144 BPM]
Return of the melodies: extended edition… Now I’m guessing the title is a subtle, friendly nod to the kings of the past: Pleiadians… Again, we’re treated to some of the most complex, multilayered, deeply melodic stuff I’ve listened to for ages… Twirling, catapulting, perplexing, gut-hitting, intoxicating – strong words, but still no where near describing how good this is…

#06: Ultimator! [146 BPM]
Prepare for eleven minutes of ultimate bliss! This actually kinda reminds me of that climax part from X-Dream’s track Eleven… Interknitted layers of sonic sound manipulation constructed of blazing synth galore and psychedelic trickery… I’ve always been a sucker for flaring acid riffs, and here I get more than I bargained for… I mean – just listen from 6’20 and onwards… Sheer excellence!

#07: Galactic Rays [147 BPM]
Digital drops, acid farts and electronic burps make out the intro here – and after about a minute, we’re hit by analogue lightning - IFO-style… Old school with nu-school production techniques… Another highly intense piece, that sends shivers down an old trancer’s spine… This will teleport you back to 1996 faster than you can say ‘space cadet’ – and what a trip down memory lane this is… Check out the climax @ 8’03 – bom bolibompa! Amazing!

#08: Sky Input [146 BPM]
“If you do not know the present, how can you claim to know the future?” Right on – The title track wraps things up very nicely with a softer kick, atmospheric pads and the ever-present twirling acid-lines… Very well-constructed, constantly building and evolving and an overall very nice ending to a truly magical album…

Holy mushroom! Listening to this album is a breathtaking experience – a sonic blast that’ll catapult you well into space… Prepare to be totally blown away – it’s one of those freak occurrences where you’re just completely sucked in by the magnitude of the music… And damn, I like those occurrences… This album encapsulates the original essence of highly melodic, multilayered, climaxing, uplifting, epic, trance-inducing goa trance… Just like the pioneers did back in the nineties – though with modern production techniques… The Pleiadians-link is evident, but this is far from plagiarism – this is a musical testament paying reverential tribute to an era long lost… And damn, it’s been ages since there was a goa trance release, but now it’s here… ;o)

As stated above, listening to this is a very intense experience, and personally I sometimes feel like Ricky Fitts in American Beauty, when he says: Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in… What I’m trying to say by quoting that is that occasionally the intensity level can be intimidating … My senses are bombarded and I feel overwhelmed at times… But that’s a good thing right? I’m just not often that new music does that to me… On a related note, I could also wish for some of the many build-ups to be just a little longer for extended pleasure – but hey, I’m only nitpicking here! This album is among the best I’ve listened to in a long time! I give this my highest recommendation – and encourage any fan of melodic goatrance to check it out! Rest assured, this is an instant classic – you do not want to be without this! Enjoy!

Favourites: All

DeathPosture

External links:
Filteria: http://www.filteria.com
Suntrip Records: http://www.suntriprecords.com
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd001.html (Audio samples available!)
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4400
Juno Records: http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF162632-01.htm
Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=SUNTRIPCD01
Trance Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4196
Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=1697
Discobole: http://www.discobole.gr/product.asp?pid=75061           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posted : Dec 3, 2004 00:44
This definitely got me curious..
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Dec 3, 2004 02:39
i listened to the samples a little @ saikosounds. sounded like euro trance to me. hmm since you seem to hype it so much maybe i'll check the samples out again tomorrow..

nice review anyways           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
hafon

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Dec 3, 2004 02:55
awesome release, its been a long and sad time without melodic releases
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 3, 2004 22:50
Melodic releases are coming out by the bundle, (12 moons, Chromosome, Vibe Tribe etc etc) so you're clearly not paying attention. Let me rephrase that for you, cuz what you meant is: It's been a long time since we had these old style Pleiadians like sounds...

I've checked some of the samples but while it all sounds very uplifting, I tend to tire of this style very quickly. So, I'll just have to check the samples out some more to see if it grows on me.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 4, 2004 22:22
fucking hell this is a KILLER!!!

I must admit that I was kindof skeptical before listening to this one. I mean, basically the main promotion line of this album was that it sounded like Pleiadians - IFO ... and everytime I read that I couldn't refrain myself from thinking "yeah but why get a copy of something when you can get the real deal instead?". I also couldn't refrain myself from remembering all the artists promising to "bring the oldschool sound back" and failing miserably... So anyway I decided to get this anyway and try for myself and... and... it simply swept me away!!! The album hits you on the first 30 seconds and then you can't help turning that volume knob a little more then a little more again and then yet a little more!!!
My heart beat steadily rised until I couldn't sit on my chair anymore and during some intense moments I actually got shivers down my spine!
"Yeah OK, this is good on the first listen but maybe it'll wear off fast?" So I listen to it again and again and maaan it just sounds better and better every time!! In the end I had to turn down the volume because of my neighbours, well volum turned down it doesn't sound as good but still!!!

Track-by-track commenting is a little redundant IMO... you all know how IFO sounds, right? Well, this sounds exactly like that. Same swirling melodies, same dynamic progression, same fast pace, even pretty similar synth presets and melodies all together. But rest asured, you WILL like it, you won't find it as some cheap-ass imitation, this is JUST AS GOOD as IFO , I'd even say better but to make that statement this would have to stay in my collection for a few years and see how it will age. And just like IFO I can't actually name a best track, they're ALL killers!! OK, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick one then it would be Stars . Just one regret... no Celaeno on this one (all tracks are full-tempo)

Conclusion This one beats ALL of the other 04 releases hands down!! Yes it does indeed remind me of IFO , some melodies and synth presets actually sound VERY alike but it's a GOOD copy! And then, there only was ONE album in the style (even Pleiadians themselves moved over from the "hurricane of melodies that's gonna pull the roof off your house any minute now" sound) so why not have another album in the same vein anyway?

OK if I MUST say something critical about this it's that it sounds TOO MUCH like IFO. I recomend Filteria to dig up some new synth sounds for the sake of originality (not that it bothers me...)

10/10 from me. All I can wish for is that this will be such a huge hit that other artists will want to do stuff in the same style
entity

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 7, 2004 10:51
It sounds a bit like a Pleiadians clone to my ears, but I respect what this guy is doing. I love the more old school sounds.
MS-20

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 9, 2004 18:34
Nice said DP..i have nothing more to add
spacemuchi

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 12:45
Filteria is the release I’ve been waiting for for such a long time ! a lot of the new releases are boring “GMS-like full on”, but this one,.........this one is totally different!!!! Everyone who likes melodies will like this mindblowing cd!! This cd will take you to a trip in outher space from the beginning to the end!! The melodic climaxes are amazing!!
This music reminds me on the old sound of etnica and pleiadians, but still, the sound is up to date!!
This is deffenetly the best release in years!!!

www.suntriprecords.com
Etnicanet Records
Inactive User

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Dec 22, 2004 21:48
Go Giannis Go!!!!
Giannis is a very dedicated artist and you will listen to a lot more strong tunes out of his monster(very analogue) studio in sweden in the near future!
He is invited at the etnicanet studios in January.
Contemporary Electronic Music
www.etnicanet.net
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 4, 2005 14:26
Respect mate, you made us greek goaheads happy and proud of you .
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Feb 6, 2005 03:44
hehe traveller euro trance? listen again mate, this is pure goa trance

this is one of the best releases and one of the hidden gems, it really reminds of the old times and what this was all about. it is intense but in a good way, walking normally while listening to this stuff is logically impossible           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
Riton
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Feb 7, 2005 09:16
one of my favorite releases, ever.
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 13, 2005 15:08
This is a great release. Beautiful is the only way to describe it. I really hope that melodic goa like this begins to take over. With todays producing technology there is no limit to where this music can take you.

Great job.

mdk
lucidpicnic
Lucid Picnic

Started Topics :  132
Posted : Mar 31, 2005 20:56
Quote:

On 2004-12-03 02:39, traveller wrote:
i listened to the samples a little @ saikosounds. sounded like euro trance to me.

this is some amazing goa trance!!!
amazing album!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Filteria - Sky Input (Suntrip Records 2004) CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance