Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - ETNICA - Sharp Album rel. 2004.11.17
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

ETNICA - Sharp Album rel. 2004.11.17

goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Nov 28, 2004 08:28
No need to introduce Max Lanfranconi and Mauricio Begotti, the 2 producers behind the Etnica fame. For those who don't know Etnica history, they come from the Goa times, and some of the eternal Goa classics belongs to them. Well, this release - in spite of their unique style - is a commomplace in today's psy. It's easy to see that they became part of the "main" flow, and there's no track in this album that one will listen in a party and will automatically recognize as Etnica's, perhaps track 6 "B.A.S." is the only one that makes the difference - the best among 9 tracks. In short, Sharp is a good album, but not a superb one. I give them an A mark, out AAA possible.

1. Automatik - 144 bpm. It starts with some 80's trance effects, before the drum starts. Good bassline, a feminine voice saying "automatik". In today's dance floors it will soung great, but you won't remember it next day.

2. Inner Space (Live mix) - 141 bpm. Like most tracks in the album, a full-on one. Again a commomplace track, but it gets good at 03:35 the drum goes dry and the track becomes more trancier, but it loses momemtum in the end.

3. Eros - 138 bpm. A slow track but with a good construction, around the 3rd minute enters an acid effect, which was very commom in goa tracks. But it's another track without a catchy keyboard effect.

4. Machine - 143 bpm. It somehow resembles a goa track, perhaps because of the crispy sound effects - which are very good. But the bassline could be a little more crispy as well. The overall result is a track that is good, but could have been better.

5. Planet X - 145 bpm. For the ones who lived in the Goa era, this track will recall some old tracks, but only at the beginning. Soon the track again brings that sense that Etnica lost something in their path.

6. B.A.S. - 142 bpm. The track that makes this album worthy. A fat, horse riding bassline commands this jewel. Echo effects and well finished keyboard sequences will throw you back to the late 90's. If all these 9 tracks were similar to this track, surely Etnica would have the "album of the year" award.

7. Sharp - 145 bpm. Tracks 6 and 7 give us a good chance to compare "energetic" trance, as in track 6 - even if some call it old - and modern trance, as in track 7. Well, Sharp is another track that is well polished, will sound great in dance floors.

8. Photonic - 140 bpm. A slow track, but it's quite good. The secret again, as in track 6, is the bassline. Somehow mellow, with an acid touch. Along with track 6, it's what Etnica is famed for.

9. Fade - 120 bpm. The closing track is one that can be played at the dance floor and at the chill-out area as well. Good sensations that sometimes a slow drum brings after 140-something banging drums. Beautiful.

All in all, my opinion is that Etnica could have been a little more melodic or acid. Perhaps some more echoes or fat basslines.

Peace and Love.
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Nov 28, 2004 08:36
Forgot to mention that it was released by Solstice Music International label. Cover art work by Etnica and Solstice crews. Now that japanese sword looks funny, or out of place, near the African totem. But it is a beautiful work.

Peace and Love
Tula

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 30, 2004 18:49
Truly I expected better tunes...but when u put all behind the curtain, u'll see that thay always got something different than others producers,that is interesting to listen... only tunes that I like is Automatic & Eros.           LIFE Is Just The Choice Between FEAR and LOVE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1fDq9LnzFk
Clovesmoke

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Nov 30, 2004 20:55
"Fade" sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
Alex Boshke
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  59
Posted : Nov 30, 2004 22:04
in a whole, for a change its very cool goa album!
loved the synths and even played few tracks pitched down:)
solid sound by one of the most influential bands in trance!
Get it!
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 4, 2004 22:25
so-so album if you ask me... Eros is a nice dreamy track, lovely to listen to this one while sipping some coconout juice under a palm tree

B.A.S. doesn't have a lot of melodies but has some interesting developments. Kindof a more dynamic minimal sound.

Sharp is kindof a cross-over between the old Etnica sound and the new one... it's good but I miss a decent climax here...

Photonic also sounds like some old Etnica with a "new Etnica" bassline. Too bad the melody doesn't develop much thoughout the track, but it is a nice track

Fade is an average downtempo track... not particularly bad but not particularly good either.

Other tracks don't sound good to my ears.

Conclusion Etnica seems to have slowed down a bit with this one (old age? ) and added a few melodies (probably after hearing all the complaints of old Etnica fans). This might sound good on paper but when you actually listen to the CD you can't help feeling that something's missing... I would've like a more dynamic progression and a faster pace. Some tracks are good for chilling out in the afternoon sun but... this is Etnica we're talking about, come on!
I probably would've rated this better if it was someone else but once you know "masters" Etnica made this you can't help but feel dissapointed 7/10
Lux
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 6, 2004 03:07
I really liked this album because of one main reason really.

It reminded me of the good old days!!!

The whole style of the album reminded me of the old Etnica style from the days of 'Alien Protein' or even the 'Juggeling Alchemists Under The Black Lights' at some points.

It's a 'back to basics' album for me and I really loved it for this reason.

Old skool psy-trance with today's quality production.

And by the way, this album proves that it's not all about fat basslines to make sth proper. There are also reefs u know...

Cheers           Don't hope 2 much 4 something cause u may end up getting it...
Solstice Music
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 13, 2004 23:02
The official release date for europe is 15 th december 2004.

thanks for your support ..

Dot Kite
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Apr 12, 2005 17:33
Dear all,

After several Etnica releases Max & Mauri they decided to go for their 6th album (as Etnica).

I don't want to speak about the whole album because "goa-ganges" did a very good review.

But I would like to speak about "FADE" !!!
This is an outstanding track (actually rmx)!

Who remembers a group named "Visage" will know why I call it remix!
The original track is named "Fade to Grey" and is a track of Visage's album "The Damned don't cry".
I was very surpised of this Track/remix by Etnica! Great tempo....Excellent bassline and Amazing sound mix and composition!
Thumbs up to Etnica for this track!

all the best...

Tms
Electrip
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Apr 14, 2005 17:35
Well, I really didn't liked that album.
Although it's a kinda unique goa style- it's too repeatitive in my opinion.

big badaboom!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - ETNICA - Sharp Album rel. 2004.11.17

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance