Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Electrypnose - Sweet Sadness (Suntrip Records, 2010)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Electrypnose - Sweet Sadness (Suntrip Records, 2010)

Jon Cocco
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Oct 19, 2010 17:45:13
Electrypnose - Sweet Sadness
Suntrip Records

Track list:

01. A5sention
02. Histoire d'Histoires
03. A Part Of Myself Is Somewhere Else
04. Sady
05. Triste Gaîté
06. A Wasp At The Fairies
07. Out There
08. Triste Vie
09. Perle De Vie
10. Dramatic Orchestra
11. El Cornio (Second Chapter)
12. Peurs Et Pleurs

Sweet Sadness is the highly anticipated sequel to 2006's critically acclaimed Subliminal Melancholies. This is also the first ambient-influenced album by Suntrip Records. Some of the tracks have more of a chill, ambient, and/or downtempo influence, while others are more classical, involve breaks, electro, psychedelic work, or share a combination. The album is filled with sensitive harmonies, soundscapes, atmosphere, and melodies. So how does it compare to the debut? A full review ensues.

1. A5sention starts out with crunchy ambient atmosphere, like a candy wrapper twisting in a tin cup. A slight rush of ambient rises up as warm, tasty melodies appear. Complimented by a gradually building sound; the first half is relaxing and atmospheric, coupled with intriguing sound stimuli. At 4:48, a strong, climactic effect lifts the song forward, like a distorted ocean wave rushing in. Hear it crash and sizzle. The effect is great, soon gone, but provides the track with more energy and appeal. Again it comes in around 5:55; all the meantime a delicate combination of Psy-influenced work and effects blend together, composing unique support as opposed to a typical beat. This is a good opening track that massages the listener's ears and mind before exposing him/her to the bigger world that awaits. B+

2. Histoire d'Histoires is more melody driven. It takes a minute to develop a foundation, releasing a contemplative flute-like appearance to the ambient sound. I'm hooked when a delicious combination of melodies appear at 2:12, and compelled yet again at 2:54, when a sensitive melody falls into play with the haunting atmosphere. This sound reminds me of a wonderful sound on Filteria's Filtertraces (Abstract Dream Remix) track, with its beautiful, blinking melodies. Wonderful use of piano enters the second half; providing a more dramatic, substantial feel. While I enjoyed the previous, more ambient-influenced track, I really like the buildup, piano and melodies here. They're haunting at times. I could see this working great in a mature, "self-realization" film sequence. The song feels a little short, but ends well. Great track. B+

3.A Part Of Myself Is Somewhere Else. is a psy/ambient influenced number with dynamic sound mixing. The fusion of concepts is interesting. An intriguing, psy-influenced part is effectively combined with ambient-influenced elements, both warm and soothing. The song becomes even more contemplative when a tune arrives, from 1:36 forward. This is yet another arresting track that I could see working great in a powerful, reflective game (such as Silent Hill) or film sequence, such as when the main character has a realization or epiphany. An additional melody enters at 2:30, enhancing the moody backdrop. The mixing seems more rhythmic from 4:19 to 4:50. This is an interesting, evocative, and well done track. B+

4. Sady begins with gripping ambient, melodic elements, and acquiring a beat around 0:43. The song is very smooth, develops nicely, and has several moments of gentle space where ingredients are added to strengthen the stew. Both the beat, drums, and intricate mixing compliment the melodies; the latter sounds fairly Goa-influenced in the final third. Also sweet is the music's return. I was afraid that the song would end early at 5:40, and happy that it returned both more involved and gripping than before. The work is fairly subtle though; it doesn't jump out but delectably rebuilds itself. The artist sculptures the design into the final third, providing an ultimately more satisfying feel, conclusive feel. Good, if not great track. B+

5. Triste Gaîté begins with beautiful, soft notes via piano. Soon, an inhale and exhale sound, like breathing enters reminiscent to that via Electrypnose's ChillinBerlin song. I love how the music picks up, takes off, changes, and returns here. If down or mid-tempo songs can have climactic elements, or climaxes, this track seems to incorporate several. Simply raise the volume and listen to this. It's driving, atmospheric, infectiously arranged, and filled energy. This is a far superior follow up to Electrypnose's ChillinBerlin song on the Opus Iridium compilation from 2008. The energy throughout is great. Excellent work! A-

6. A Wasp At The Fairies sounds closer to Subliminal Melancholies relative to its emphasis on breaks, beats, staccato editing/mixing, melodic chimes, and sound effects. The song starts slow, and becomes fast paced and engaging. It sounds great actually, which is why I'm surprised by its short running time. It's catchy while it lasts, but this could have developed into something really superb, or a sequel of sorts to either debut song, New Wave, or This Is The Beginning. Cool track. B

7. Out There continues as if it could be an intriguing, atmospheric extension off the previous track. The ambient notes that arrive early on sounds good. Soon after enters psychedelic sound-work, like pop corn crackling, popping, and snapping. At 2:04 however, the cool experimental work melts away to accommodate a wave of emotion. The ambient layers form a beautiful relationship with several melodies, as a gentle beat enhances the backdrop. A wonderful part of the album takes place at 3:50. This includes piano notes; the story travels deeper. Beautiful soundscapes float across a fantasy/ambient world, as the piano leads the developing path. A shift in emotion takes place around 5:25 relative to sensitive melody work. The song sounds excellent, until a harmony arrives after the music fades at 5:55, which is outstanding. I love the piano, feeling, and harmony throughout this track. It oozes with passion, and is captivating and provocative from start to finish. A

8. Triste Vie follows up the previous track nicely. It begins a strong albeit heartfelt piano tune complimented by various other instruments. A second piano via higher note soon arrives; the two are integrated well together. The first 1:30 roughly is great. The track then enters a cloud walking interlude. It's fairly interesting I suppose (depending what mood you're in). Since my attention was arrested on however, I was expecting something less floating-in-space. To the interlude's advantage, the peaceful sound is very relaxing; it creates some space between two wonderful, story driven segments. After a minute or two, the piano returns in the third minute with simple notes, and picks up a stronger direction around 3:54. The lower, sustained keys are beautiful and affecting. At 4:50, the swirling ambient backdrop via interlude pours into the piano's view, and the listener is immersed in the structure's core heart of the story until the very end. This is another track that shows how versatile the artist is; he's convinced me that he can produce ambient-influenced music on par with some of Solar Field's finest work. I find this song so beautiful, meaningful, and occasionally sad. At times it reminds me two souls, once together on Earth, whose spirits are now free. The music is really poignant anyway. This is a beautiful track filled with heart. A-

9. Perle De Vie has more energy after the previous, piano-led, floating experience. It begins gentle, with a different piano fell entirely. A slow, plodding beat arrives within the first minute. The vehicle soon acquires a unique, catchy melody. Atmosphere is projected as the plodding beat's joined with multiple supports, altered Psy sounds, tweaks, and melodic elements. As the music fades, a solid piano-driven tune enters, and is soon complimented by another. Floating soundscapes move through ambient, as the warm melody becomes the gentle, now softly floating away piano. A warm atmospheric interlude emerges, involving animals, running water; sounds as if we're in a jungle or by a stream or waterfall. I find the interlude more interesting here than in the previous, otherwise strong number. After the intriguing center-space, the music with more angles, layers, development, and appeal. It's like a beautiful creature opening its wings (showing its soul at 7:31). The sensitive/piano arrangement from 7:31 forward is superb and elevates an already great track. A-

10 Dramatic Orchestra starts out soft, peaceful. It takes full advantage of an instrument, making it quite possibly the most paramount sounding number on the album. The track builds extremely well (no spoilers). It's smart and rewarding. One may not realize the songs sheer power early on, but the work is nevertheless impressive. The first two parts are great; they flow very well with final third. This is easily one of the best tracks on the album. It sounds epic, and defines the term dramatic orchestra. Excellent work! A-

11. El Cornio (Second Chapter) incorporates a variety of zippy, crack/pop, twisting effects to the sound of a piano, altered ambient notes, and more. Around 2:00 is where the song seems to grip onto something more substantial; with an echoing thud, the deep ambient stands out. The beat is slow, and picks up speed at 3:16 which is catchy. Moving through various musical instruments, a contemplative, eerie tone takes presence at 4:00. The artists approach to storytelling appears throughout the album, and I'm reminded of it at times here. A chilling atmosphere, with what seems to include literal, tediously mixed water droplets, compliments the notes. There is a subtle, psychedelic touch here too that is cool. While the previous song captured me more by its sheer power, this song is refreshingly different, less musical, and more ambient/textured-influenced. It's cool. I like it. B+

12. Peurs Et Pleurs is quite possibly the most ambient-influenced song, or at least of them here. It's floating, atmospheric, and calm. Ambient extends the opening of the track, which develops nicely around 2:23, when various elements, a moment of drums arrive. The work seems more subtle here, the tone is most relaxing. There is a strange, eerie sound that arrives later, almost like a wink to the artists darker work. I like the sensitive soundscapes and distorted piano in the second half, accompanied by the ambient notes. I think that the first half could have been a little more interesting, but ambient-lovers will likely appreciate it. After hearing the entire album for the tenth-plus time, I don't think there is anything quite like this release. This is a peaceful closing to a strong album B

In conclusion, Sweet Sadness is a great follow up to Electrypnose's Subliminal Melancholies. What the debut had in eclectic mixing via scratch pads, sound effects, Sweet Sadness makes up for with strong ambient-influenced soundscapes, warm melodies and atmosphere, crisp sounds, beats, harmonies, and rhythms. There is even some electro/breaks, psychedelic, and experimental work integrated into the whole. Tracks reflect a variety of emotions, from beauty to sadness, determination, contemplation, and peace. I enjoy listening to the album straight through, as it flows well, especially in the second, more harmonious half. If I were to gripe and/or nitpick, the debut had more scratch pads, drum kits, and sound effect/intricacy that I occasionally miss here. Also, A Wasp At The Fairies is too short. I wish it was longer. That said, the energy of Triste Gaîté is great. The surreal/haunting soundscapes of Histoire d'Histoires is excellent, and tracks like Out There, Triste Vie, and Dramatic Orchestra are some of the strongest songs I've heard all year! Sweet Sadness is one of the best, most interesting and provocative downbeat/tempo albums of 2010. Thank you Vince le Barade/Electrypnose and Suntrip Records for releasing this long awaited, beautiful, and engaging follow up to one of my favorite albums: Subliminal Melancholies.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5!, 7!!, 8!, 9, 10!, 11.

B+

Samples / Order here

Saikosounds
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8572

Suntrip Records
http://www.suntriprecords.com/releases/

Psyshop
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd020.html

Beatspace
http://beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=5893

Goastore
http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=4064

Play
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/8/33/-/16317132/Sweet-Sadness/Product.html

Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweet-Sadness-Electrypnose/dp/B0041OXRJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287504453&sr=8-1

joshtt

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 3, 2010 17:44
Great ambient album. Just ordered it from Suntrip. The whole trip from beginning till end never bores me and sometimes I even heard a soft acid line, haha. I like it.
One of the better ones!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Electrypnose - Sweet Sadness (Suntrip Records, 2010)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance