Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - DJ Exanimo - Turn Left at Orion [Midijum 2004]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

DJ Exanimo - Turn Left at Orion [Midijum 2004]

Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Jul 2, 2004 23:23
I had just returned to see if there were more reviews on this fantastic album since I saw it last, but could not find any review in the search surprisingly! I could have sworn I had reviewed this one already but the computer doesn't lie, does it? And can it be that such a great album has been overlooked by the trance community? (if there is indeed an existing review of this release please delete/merge this!)...

DJ Exanimo - Turn Left at Orion
01 Be alarmed
02 Countdown Sequence
03 Holodeck alpha
04 The Operator
05 Planet Eroc
06 Aliens coming!
07 Holodeck beta
08 Welcome to space

Where to start? This is an excellent 'concept' album dealing with a trip to space and traditional scifi concepts. Each track is a unique story with a distinct style.

Beginning with track 1 the artist challenges you to think of travelling in space with a masterfully manipulated sample... usually I do not like words in my psytrance and at first I didn't like this, but it totally grew on me. The words fuse with the beats and create a hypnotic pattern set to the space pulses and groovy percussion, all perfectly placed. The second track tones it down a little with a 'dry' shuffling beat and slowly grooving synths that swirl in a beautiful melody. Voices tell of a space launch in preperation as the majestic high-pitched tones dance back and forth... probably not everyone's cup of tea but as someone obsessed with outer space this hits just the right nerve Holodeck Alpha picks up the pace a bit with an easy-going groove with key changes in appropriate places. It's a fairly simplistic tune that doesn't stand out, but fits in well with the concept of the album. Next up is The Operator; a sure highlight from this album, and the darkest track offered here, perfectly executed with incredible style. A combination of elements makes this track stand out: melancholic synths, didge work, powerful work on the samples and percussion, expert basslines... I guess I can't say too much more - it's just one of the best tracks I've heard this year. Track 5, Planet Eroc, features some guitars by Tim Schuldt... certainly a departure from the tone of the rest of the album, not to my liking unfortunatly. Track 6: Aliens Coming! is previously released, but a welcome inclusion on this album. Hypnotic and psychedelic, relying primarly on small sharp noises and cascading bass notes. I guess you might call this progressive psychedelic trance with a little Goa flavour (thanks to the rapid notes). A good song putting this album back on the right track. Track 7 is another winner: Holodeck Beta. This one is the most melodic that you will find on the album, a powerful and intelligent piece of music. Harder kicks, a few big breaks, and enourmous electric melodies, and a smooth positive tone throughout... Track 8: Welcome to Space brings the album to close as the listener arrives at the destination... this is another favourite of mine from this album, with it's hypnotic and pulsating beats overlayed with sensitive chords and upwelling atmospheres. Very subtle, so you might not like it at first, but this song has a beautiful quality to it that rewards repeated listening.

Well, what more can I say? This album made me a huge Exanimo fan, and I've found it to be one of the most enduring releases of this year, growing each time I hear it. My bias towards space no doubt contributes to this but I would recommend this album to everyone, as it fits well into many listening contexts and is a true journey through trance into space... and perhaps fitting with the concept of the album, one must ask - if you can't fly to space, why not travel there virtually? Enjoy!

Favourites, since people seem to like the system: 1, 2(!), 4(!!), 6, 7(!), 8(!)

You will find the cover and a 'roughmix' at http://www.midijum.de/ ...direct link to the mix: http://www.midijum.de/mucke/exanimo_lp_roughmix_20min.mp3
Insomniac
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Sep 30, 2004 17:12
I really don't understand why people haven't post any thing about this album, i got it a couple of days ago and can't stop listening to it.

Very good album, the entire cd is a cosmic trip.           One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.
djbim
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Oct 1, 2004 11:36
hey friend s thanks for your words
our major problem is that the people drop us in the progressice corner what is not real.
and so the most people are not into our music.what to do maybe our next releases with dino ,silent sphere,rumble pack will change some minds.
about we like to present all spectrums of our music.
and basilisc i dont forget you
your cds are comming soon
bim
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Nov 17, 2004 04:03
This is a fantastic genre-crossing release. Psy-progressive-tech music with an edge and a soul. Congratulations on this one. Pitty it did not get the attention that in my opinion it deserved. I'm a fan!
Dragongurl
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Nov 17, 2004 13:02
I got this the other day as well, and I was really impressed! Its a great album to listen to at anytime and has such groove. I'm also a fan of this album and will give all my congrats to the artist!!!
The whole album moves from one end to the other in a smooth motion that gives one the feeling of an awesome musical journey. WELL DONE!!           :: Life can be as bitter as dragon tears
But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet
depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste ::
Tula

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 21, 2004 12:42
I heard just a few things by dj exanimo,and it was nice suprice to listening such intresting tunes...
@Insomniac-don't know is it cosmic trip 4 u,but I tripin' anyway listening tunes that I heard :insane:           LIFE Is Just The Choice Between FEAR and LOVE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1fDq9LnzFk
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - DJ Exanimo - Turn Left at Orion [Midijum 2004]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance