First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Dark Psytrance

Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posted : Jun 3, 2010 23:06
Different people have wider or narrower definitions of what "dark psytrance" means. To some people it means "anything which isn't fullon, prog or oldstyle goa", whereas to others it only means a certain style by a very small number of artists.

goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Jun 4, 2010 21:29
if by dark you mean the atmosphere - than its definately x-dream, sandman and parasense - listen to what those guys did at the time and try to compare todays "dark" trance with it... just like tsabeat said - its childs vs adults...
thinkingsound

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 4, 2010 22:27
Agree,highly debatable,many artists to pick from - Juno Reactor 1993 - Prana 1994 - Nephilim Records 1994 to name one label - What was that track called by Hallucinogen?It came out on Vinyl 12" in 1995,very dark - Speaking of industrial,Killing Joke 1996 knocked a few out - Xenomorph,pioneering horror trance as a sub genre of darkpsy

Yes,where is the man who never let's us forget he has been around the scene since 93 and tours all over Europe and beyond?The authority who masquerades under opinion,the nocturnal wildcat,this is his number one topic,his reason to be,O----T come set us straight
ocelot
ocelot

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Jun 7, 2010 15:43
0----t is close enough. i can read between the lines

parasense may have been doing things at home or for the russian scene for years- i have no idea. i first heard of them in the 2000 boom festival where i saw them play live. xp was promoting their sound at the time (oh how things change)

sandman is definately from a wayyyyy earlier wave. maybe middle 90's if i remember (witchcraft, psychotoons was later but witchcraft is seminal)

xenomorph maybe i first heard his stuff in the late 90's.
xdream is certainly older and going back to the beginning of psytrance as there wasn't even one single psy label at the time they released their first singles on tunnel records (a techno label) as koxbox did also with the single stratosfear out on harthouse i believe...

everyone had some night tracks and some day tracks it seemed. artists didnt specialize so much as psytrance was already a weird speciality with no connection to other things.

Deedrah has a KILLER night track called Signe Furax from about 1998. listen to it sometime. good one

GMS had night time killers, Tim Schuldt was known for his more heavy night sound... The aussie sounds from Ray Castles label were probably the most extreme music of the time- Psyharmonics stuff was just plain crazy and wierd- perfect for the night. a lot of Japanese music was played as well that i unfortunately dont know excepting UbarTmar

in the 90's people were not as stupid as today (joke)
and so they didnt sit around arguing about styles and making tiny isolated parties... well there was this search to find an actual "psychedelic trance or goa trance" party vs a rave- one where you could go and actually hear 24 hours of the different sounds of psychedelic trance. the word goa was the place and referred to the scene vs the european club scenes where the trance music was also being played...

back then there were tracks for night or morning or day etc... no one was foolish enough to only specialize in one and most of the dancers were open minded hippies who got into the music thing because of associations with friends or because they liked the culture, not because they were fanatics for only one kind of sound etc... everyone was vegetarian, travelled as a matter of lifestyle (selling things, making a shop, etc...) etc... (well im exagerating a bit)

i met only ONE dj who claimed only to play night music- this guy Marco with the group Acid Physix in new york. he had a D8 dat and many different tracks i had never heard.

no one person originated what you would call dark trance today.

Goa Gil is probably the most responsible in popularizing the music that some people call dark trance. his tastes have changed over the years and he's gone more into the extreme music lately but it was not always this way- although he always had a certain taste in tracks that tended to select for a certain vibe that i guess he felt was psychedelic.

thats my final statement- if anyone is responsible for the last 10 years of the direction of sounds on this harder/faster/darker side of things (really vague terminology i know)
its Goa Gil           check new OCELOT, PROG-A-LOT and more on
http://soundcloud.com/aaronpeacock
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ocelot/52481987054
TranceVisuals
TranceVisuals

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Jun 7, 2010 16:16
Quote:

On 2010-06-07 15:43, ocelot wrote:
.....i first heard of them in the 2000 boom festival where i saw them play live.

I played there that year, last night, the monday!!!!! on the main stage doing graphics alongside Logic Bomb (all 4 of them!!!!) amongst others...

ahhhh the memories....           www.youtube.com/trancevisuals

2,000,000+ views and counting.
full_lotus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Jun 7, 2010 16:47
ECT had some influence as well imho           Turn On, Tune In, Trance Out!!!

http://www.psymusic.co.uk
lockedfruit

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 08:27
Quote:

if anyone is responsible for the last 10 years of the direction of sounds on this harder/faster/darker side of things (really vague terminology i know)
its Goa Gil

How can you say that? Gil dj's other peoples music? Gil also only plays at Gil festivals, I thought Gil was separate from the rest of the trance scene or just too much ego to play with other artist. Why is Gil even mentioned, the question was, Who first pioneered Dark PSy Trance? Does Gil really pioneer anything besides himself? Who cares about Gil beside the ones who idealize him? (honest questions, not tended to be cruel)

Slinky Wizard was very close to being the first artist
kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 10:14
Quote:

On 2010-06-08 08:27, lockedfruit wrote:
Quote:

if anyone is responsible for the last 10 years of the direction of sounds on this harder/faster/darker side of things (really vague terminology i know)
its Goa Gil

How can you say that? Gil dj's other peoples music? Gil also only plays at Gil festivals, I thought Gil was separate from the rest of the trance scene or just too much ego to play with other artist. Why is Gil even mentioned, the question was, Who first pioneered Dark PSy Trance? Does Gil really pioneer anything besides himself? Who cares about Gil beside the ones who idealize him? (honest questions, not tended to be cruel)

Slinky Wizard was very close to being the first artist

When Ocelot talks about "harder,faster,darker" sound he is not talking about the pre 2000 guys imo. In the first wave of artists people mentioned (Xenomorph, Slinky Wizard, X-Dream and the others.. ..) the sound is really only "dark" in terms of attitude and vibe no real fx shreddering... If I compare these artists with what is commonly considered "darkpsy" today I am hard pressed to find real similarities in the sound.
I tend to agree with the people who mention Parasense as being very influential on "modern" darkpsy. I am just looking at a cd I have (V.A.Gandalf) from 2001 with a Parasense track (seven zero)which really cements my opinion. The fx choices and aggresiveness speak volumes imo.
Now we have some real similarities that go beyond simply "feeling darker".

I agree with Ocelot on Goa Gil. Sure he is a controversial figure, but whatever people say about him, there is no doubt he has been influential. Most of his mix compilations have a classic status in some circles. Maybe this is changing now, but I remember a time when people who knew nothing of psytrance has still heard the name "Goa Gil". (Alongside IM, Hallucinogen..). The fact that Gil has focused more and more on "harder/faster/darker" has stimulated many peoples acceptance and interest for this kind of music imho. It was like a big rubber endorsement stamp that said "Gil says Darkpsy is the future" .

V3NOM
Inactive User

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 10:21
I like Gil. I have enjoyed a few of his gigs, and ego or not the times I spoke to him he seemed pretty nice.

I think if it was not for him a lot of the dark psy producers would still be unknown today, I think it is pretty special to be on one of his mixed sets, I think it is an endorsement.

And if you don;t like this idea then here is a handful of crap, go eat it!           I hate you, you hate me, we are all so hap hap happy!
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 11:30
Goa gil has mixed sets?!
Mute
IsraTrance Full Member
Access Gremlin

Started Topics :  51
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 22:12
Dark trance which evovled over the years was a term coined by Parasense back in 2000 or maybe 1999. Ofcourse there were dark tracks before them but nobody refered to them as darkpsy or tech trance or watever.These classifications all came post 2000. For all that i know alot of people always called it simply acid music because of the acid house/techno root.
Imho nobody pioneererd anything , it was always about classification from goatrance to psytrance to darktrance to whatevertrance

Here is a track which is arguebly considered as the first acid track , similar to goa? hehehe.Conflicting reports that it was made in 1985 released in 87!

Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 22:49
Hux flux first album and logic bomb stuff was also very uniqe and had dark/night-time vibes written all over it, i think they set a trend aswell with that sounds, as parasense did yet not as "serious" as parasense sound but more twisted and melodic.

cheers!
          For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
Sanathana
Sanathana

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 23:23
i thought the Asia 2001 - Amazone VA was quite dark, eerie and twisted sounding... goatrance but had some killer eerie n twisted tunes in it.... i think that was compiled by Goa Gill (not too sure).. it was released in 1999 or earlier i guess...           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sanathana.swaroop
http://www.soundcloud.com/sanathana | http://www.facebook.com/sanathana.psy
Labels Associated with: Samana Records | Geomagnetic | Triptec | Independent Mind | SkyGravity | Goatrance.pl | Psytr
rich
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Jun 8, 2010 23:39
Quote:

...back then there were tracks for night or morning or day etc... no one was foolish enough to only specialize in one and most of the dancers were open minded...

SO TRUE.

dirtyphreak
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Jun 9, 2010 02:55
Quote:

On 2010-06-03 04:08:11, bearpill wrote:
Cosmo ?

cosmo is not dark psychedelic bro           http://lamat-records.com
http://www.facebook.com/dirtyphreakgt
https://instagram.com/dirtyphreak/
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Dark Psytrance