Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake (Sprout, September 2008)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake (Sprout, September 2008)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Sep 21, 2008 20:59:33
Artist: D-Nox & Beckers
Title: Beefcake
Label: Sprout
Format: Digital
Released: September 2008

Review:

Christian Wedekind and Frank Beckers. Mention these names, and every progressive/tech house lover will probably know that you're referring to the dynamic production-duo D-Nox & Beckers. With an extremely busy booking-schedule and a discography including releases on progressive trance labels like Iboga Records and Flow to major house players like Baroque, Great Stuff, Vapour and Electribe as well as licensing tracks and remixes to mainstream labels like Global Underground and Ministry of Sound, there's no doubt that these guys appeal to the mass-market, yet still staying true to their roots.

"Beefcake" is their newest release on D-Nox's own label Sprout, which has had some success since the launch over 5 years ago, and on the remix-duty are King Roc and Lemon Popsicle.

01. D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake [127 BPM]
The original track "Beefcake" is yet another solid D-Nox & Bekers high-roller. Like so many other times before from D-Nox & Beckers, this is an optimistic mix of funk and big dancefloor grooves. Some twisted horns give the track a nice wobbly effect, and the trendy tech-breakdown works very very well. This tune just oozes with outdoor beach-party vibe.

02. D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake (King Roc Remix) [125 BPM]
The first remix is by the UK act King Roc, consisting of Martin Dawson, who has had some success with his diverse repertoire of music, ranging from techno to trip hop - releasing tunes on labels like Dessous, Four:Twenty, Anjunabeats, Buzzin' Fly and his own label Mutual Society. His remix of "Beefcake" is more housey in the traditional sense, isn't quite as energetic as the original but has an even more uplifting vibe and with a nice touch of carnival-atmosphere.

03. D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake (Lemon Popsicle Remix) [127 BPM]
Lemon Popsicle is a new and unknown artist to me, and an artist who only have a few releases out so far, with one of them being on the Italian label Rebirth. His remix starts out as the most stripped-down and dirty of the three versions, but slowly get more and more jackin' after the main breakdown. Nice, slightly techier rework.

Bottom line:

As expected, "Beefcake" is yet another good release from one of my favourite labels around at the moment. All three versions are recommendable, but some might also say slightly too similar. Don't expect banging tech or minimal peak-time party material, but if you're into some good, wholesome sunny outdoor grooves this release is a sure winner - with the D-Nox & Beckers original standing out. A shame that the European summer is over...

Favourites:

Verdict:

7/10

Links:

http://www.sproutmusic.de
http://www.myspace.com/frankbeckers
http://www.myspace.com/djdnox           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
ruben74
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Sep 25, 2008 16:01
Great name for a track... sounds like something you'd come up with over a steak dinner!
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Oct 8, 2008 19:13
Only heard the original, nice track, reminds me a little of Shnorkel.

Good stuff, but nothing from another world.
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Oct 9, 2008 12:19
for me lemon popsicle remix is a special one...           Believe your soul !
erik

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 19, 2008 14:53
dnox music always good, but seem to me that they doing the same and the same sound, its become boring to me.
nice ep but thats all
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Oct 19, 2008 20:29
Quote:

On 2008-10-19 14:53, erik wrote:
dnox music always good, but seem to me that they doing the same and the same sound, its become boring to me.
nice ep but thats all

For a long time now..There is much better music to feed your head in this kind of style and of course it doensn't sound so original,just music made under stereotypes..And something positive now,as Zombi said the Lemon Popsicle Remix is the winner!Deep n Groovy!           www.myspace.com/tasos_notrea
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1101850147&ref=name
http://soundcloud.com/tasos_notrea/sets/marchmix2012_techno
Kitnam
Mantik

Started Topics :  110
Posted : Nov 3, 2008 20:14
maybe there are some producers which are better with sampling, creativity. but when it comes to arranging the timeline dnox and beckers are imo the worlds best producers out there in my opinion. maaaaybe extrawelts new album marks another step into unconventional arrangements but talking about tradional house/tech arranging this is the top.

this release is not as extremly good as other ones this year, and just wouldnt buy it, from my perspective it could be a lot more deeper and and epic-sounding. but offcourse it would groove the floor without doubt anyway.

what me always makes me wondering about dnox and beckers, you can play it everywhere and anytime i have never seen that a track of them wasnt catching the floor (talking about actual techy releases)

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - D-Nox & Beckers - Beefcake (Sprout, September 2008)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance