Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Cyanescens - 'Liquid Crystal' CD (Alkaloid Productions 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Cyanescens - 'Liquid Crystal' CD (Alkaloid Productions 2004)

Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 24, 2004 11:35
Exciting Aussie artist. Very exciting. This thing is so uber cool that it is hard to describe.

1. Arp On – Nice opening track, a very urgent sample gives us the impression of some urgency behind the scenes. My arms move about just thinking the way new sounds are introduced in this track. This track is a nice opener, it sets a tone for the rest of the album. And for a while, it almost stumbles into Space Cat territory (just my opinion, there’s something about those percussions that ring out the same).

2. Disturbances – Seriously cool tune at the beginning which appears throughout the rest of the track. Not very dark but you almost get the feeling you’re walking home from work one dark night, and someone (or something) is following you. The bass is sinister, it evokes the feeling of staying up late to watch Twin Peaks (all those many moons ago). Then the track is full of psy tunes and this thing has kicked up a gear and it becomes a very danceable track.

3. Improve Your Memory – The start of this track reminded me of This Is Your Life by Tyler Durden (off the Fight Club soundtrack). That calm voice over some fat beats really reminds me of that. But then this one goes into a world of its own, with some nice string work and some distorts, this really does become an Aussie Psy Track! Then there is something very similar to Son Kite’s On Air. I’m not too sure if there are heaps of tracks out there with this effect but that was the first thing then that occurred to me. And then the classical music to add some class, with some subtle kick rising up to rise over us again.

4. In The Dark – Almost sounds like Xenomorph in the beginning if it weren’t for the fast BPM. But then a wave comes over us and suddenly we find ourselves in the eye of the storm. A friggin’ cool hi-hat pounds us without us even realising it. The track then breaks in the flow and fades in and out…this would be an awesome killer on the dance floor. There is really too much going on here to explain, but all you need to know is that it is fast, hectic and freakin’ cool!

5. The Zone – Awesome opening!! Evokes the feeling of Misted Muppet or OSOM. But it freakin’ kicks the hell out of me! This thing would sound incredible on a 30,000 watt sound system!!! The rest of the track holds up well, some high pitched sounds are well placed and keep us alert. The bass is present and it really kicks it up a gear. Half way through the track and it really sounds Russian. It could easily slot in a comp. like Potatogun or something. But that’s a good thing, because there is so much variety in the track. Then an uber cool melody, distorted…this thing becomes a favourite.

6. Flava – This is a track that has all my mates talking. It is cool. Very cool. Some great effects done on the vocals and the scratches are magnificent, but this doesn’t become one of best on the album. It doesn’t really glide, I think it stays in the same gear and doesn’t really go to new heights. That said, I think it is a worthy addition here but not the best.

7. Piece of Mind – Thumping industrial kick and we’re back in Coolville. This is electric. Almost feels like you’re in a computer security system and you’re travelling from one place to another via wires. This is dark and futuristic, not so much spacey, but more heavy on the electric vibe which does pack a whopping punch! Very cool indeed.

8. Spike – More freaky noises. Effect galore overload for the intro but its worth the overload on the senses for the thumping bass, and the driving kick. The subtle dimming of the volume makes the ears stand to attention. Then the high pitch sounds, the squealing…and this thing is back in Russian territory. The track stops briefly for a breath then its back to the drilling. The second part of this track starts to sound fresh, like Natty has found his style. And it is cool. This is a killer tune for the dance floor!

9. Reflect – The introduction suggests an ambient, relaxation track. But it isn’t. While there isn’t as much going on in these tracks as the others, this is still packing a whopping punch. Incredible track. The effects blend in and out of the beats of the kicks. Very nice effect indeed. Loving the way this track is so open, it isn’t restricted. It can do whatever it wants and it does…just you wait. One of my favs!

All in all…this rules. I have been waiting for Cyanescens to release an album for ages and ages. And he hasn’t disappointed me. For a debut album, this sounds very accomplished. Cyanescens is a very exciting artist to keep an eye on. Along with Scatterbrain and Dark Nebula, Australia is looking very, very EX-PSY-TING (pun intended). The only sour point of the album, is that it comes in just under 60 minutes. I was left wanting more psy goodness! But I guess I’ll wait for the next album!

Just one note to point out. On the album cover, Cyanescens is spelt CYANCESCENS, but on the side of the cover it is spelt Cyanescens. I’m not too sure if the extra “C” is on purpose or what. It just struck me strange is all I’m saying!

I cannot wait to Cyanescens play at Tribeadelic! It will be an incredible experience! I don’t think he knows how to disappoint!!!

Fav(s): 9, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1
          _______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Dec 27, 2004 03:42
Very great album, and nice production..
i enjoy listen to it.. hope to hear more from him also!!

BOOM
tIf TaF

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Dec 29, 2004 06:23
hey freakss
i just wanna say that Cyanscenes album is very GOOD and u all psy & dark ppl should Buy that 1..
good trex,good sound , gr8 work
BOOOMZZ
Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Apr 8, 2005 12:23
Why hasn't this album gotten more buzz? This is some quality psy here peoples!!!           _______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Cyanescens - 'Liquid Crystal' CD (Alkaloid Productions 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance