Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Compilation October 13 -=- Kagdila Records (2003)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Compilation October 13 -=- Kagdila Records (2003)

full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Apr 15, 2005 21:34
Compilation October 13 -=- Kagdila Records (2003)

Another review, this time a relatively old underground compilation which I think was never reviewed here.
It has mostly well known names, but most of them are doing here something different than the usual.
I´m trying to get my hands in some more underground and dark releases as well, after all a man needs his daily dose of nasty stuff.

Cover: The cover is mainly blue with some stylish design behind the name of the compilation.
http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?kag1cd011_b.jpg:CDs/kag/kag1cd011.html:;

Track List:

1. Frequency Deluxe - Three in one 145 bpm
2. Mad Processor - Astronomical 140 bpm
3. Vik On Injection - Mexican 143 bpm
4. Vibe Tribe - Special Places 143 bpm
5. Intergalactic - Destiny 145 bpm
6. Mechanix - Love in distance 143 bpm
7. Injection vs Kopsses - Final Fantasy (part 2) 145 bpm
8. Quantum - Smack 142 bpm
9. Zion - Kool Aid 100 bpm

1. Frequency Deluxe - Three in one --> It's a dark tune, besides the 145 bpm it has a touch of minimal style, sure does not follow any formula, it's really the old Frequency Deluxe style. The sounds are few, but well placed. Nice to start a compilation or a dark set, but not my style.

2. Mad Processor - Astronomical --> Good continuation to the first track, this track is a steady and deep. The distorted samples that I can't recognize and involving sounds (like Penta) create a night atmosphere. It has only 140 bpm, but sounds like it is as fast as the first track.

3. Vik On Injection - Mexican --> This track is more colorful, but is still very dark. Unrecognizable samples and twisted guitars lead me right to the dance floor. The bass at 5:00 is really intense. Another different dark track.

4. Vibe Tribe - Special Places --> Starting with a sample about LSD that I can't understand (Damn it! ) and packed with dark compressed sounds, this track makes me dance. Much more 'dense' them the tracks before, this track is one of my favorites here. Very different from the other Vibe Tribe tracks, this light night stalker shows the Vibe Tribe guys can do well at night too!

5. Intergalactic - Destiny --> HA HA! Finally a sample I can understand: "Embrace your paradise". Typical Intergalactic bass, but only this is the only trace of the former works of Vik, this track is much more darker and sinister than the ones in his Cyber Cartel and Intergalactic albums. Laughs and samples at the break:

"Leave me alone... What do you want... (scare you) Get away! Leave me alone!..."

Plain evil! Good melodies that does not run away from the other dark elements of the track. Good one.

6. Mechanix - Love in distance --> This track begin with some industrial influences and after the sample: "Here we go!" at 2:00 it becomes an intense night creature. Good track, I always liked Mechanix style and this one I enjoy as well. The noises at 4:20 makes me shiver! The music keeps developing in an unpredictable way. Good Work, my favorite here!

7. Injection vs Kopsses - Final Fantasy (part 2) --> Damn it! Another sample I can't understand, it seems they made a compilation just to make me curious! Experimental sounds here, I don't know who is Kopsses, but it seems he added relevant stuff to Injection's style. You will find a bit of everything inside this track: melodies, some acoustic guitars´s accords , twisted sounds. Nice try.

8. Quantum - Smack --> This track goes right to the point: psychedelic dark noises and some vocoded sounds as well. Sometimes an unpredictable guitar appears, but not annoying at all. The sounds keep building in till the break and then it gets really psychedelic and scary. SMACK!

9. Zion - Kool Aid --> It's an Chill Out track to finish the album. A sample keeps repeating something about reincarnation... Tribal influences and some interesting female voices through all the track.

This is an eclectic night compilation, some useful tracks for night DJs and some experimental stuff as well. Most tracks have a good production level, some are not so well produced, but the strong point here is that these follow no formula or recipe. Underground stuff.

Verdict: 7/10. What could be improved is that the total time of this release is less than 70 minutes, which leave room for at least one more track or remix.

Favorites: 4(!), 5, 6(!!!), 7, 8.

Buy it here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/kag/kag1cd011.html
http://www.saikosounds.com/japanese/display_release.asp?id=3457

Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Apr 18, 2005 14:33
i also liked the vb3b track..very different from their usual..but thix compil is alittle bit oldie, so i guess is by thix!!           ...
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Sep 1, 2005 10:19
V. A. - "October 13" [Kagdila]

1. Frequency Deluxe - "Three in One"
This just buzzes along for a while without much really happening, with some soft hats & sweeping sound effects filling the spaces between kick drums. 5 minutes in & I'm still waiting for something to happen.. the bass has changed key, the drums have changed a little, becoming more stripped back & the sound effects have changed a bit but there's nothing to grab onto... no focus.

2. Mad Processor - "Astronomical"
This starts off with some spacious vocal sounding pads that set a nice tone for the track. There is a nice build in this track, solid production & story. By 4 minutes in I'm quite absorbed. However, it doesn't seem to bring it home with anything.. by the end of the track I still feel like there's a layer missing. I think if I were dancing to this I'd just be bobbing up & down in a trance, not flailing madly.

3. Vik On Injection - "Mexican"
A few slabs of guitars here & there. Bit cheesey for me, but I'm sure some would dig it. Some cackling laughter & samples of (surprisingly) someone speaking with a Mexican accent. Nice change in bassline gets things moving 5 minutes in.. Everything else is pretty much the same though. The guitars double up to bring things home.

4. Vibe Tribe - "Special Places"
This is a nice tweaky trance track with good melodies & a solid rolling bassline. It gets pretty dense & psychedelic about halfway through. Definitely the best track on the CD so far. It does start to just bang away a bit towards the end with these repetitive high end noises, but they get a bit more varied in the last minute before it all starts to drop away.

5. Intergalactic - "Destiny"
I'm sorry but this track is really irritating. The bassline does nothing the whole way through. The melodies are pretty lame & repetitive. I don't know whether it's meant to be a joke or something, but the samples & some of the sound effects just sound a bit silly.

6. Mechanix - "Love in Distance"
We start with a looped sample saying "free". Not sure about the percussion sounds.. they just sound a little harsh to me, although it seems like the intention is to create a spooky atmosphere, so it's probably intentional. A sound comes in about four and a half minutes in that is so annoying it's giving me a headache, so I'm skipping the rest of the track.

7. Injection & Kopsses - "Final Fantasy (Part 2)"[b]
Well the soft guitars in the intro are a nice change after that last one. It was going so nicely until the bassline came in, which just doesn't sound that bassy to me. I think the production on this one is a bit lacking. Also, the samples don't seem to fit the theme of the track, as the track seems quite happy but the samples (asides from the guy talking) sound like people yelling out in pain & cars crashing or something. Not bad all up.

8. [b]Quantum - "Smack"

This one's a bit darker & more atmospheric. It's got some nice little tribal percussion sounds infrequently. Not a bad track, nothing really to rave about, doesn't really do much. Don't get me wrong, it does progress nicely through the track, but it's more like a bunch of sound effects strung together over a bassline than a song.

9. Zion - "Kool Aid"
Weird sample to begin with. Ah so it seems here we have the token chill track. Will it be token? Some nice female vocals going on in the background whilst the main sample about 'life extention' continues (for quite a long time). Actually this sample comes in & out throughout the track. Bit of a psytrance cliche, the old futuristic sample through a vocoder. The music's nothing to get excited about. Some nice drums are the best part.

The Vibe Tribe track's pretty good & the Mad Processor track is OK but on the whole I'm not impressed.

4.5/10           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Compilation October 13 -=- Kagdila Records (2003)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance