Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Chris Pointdexter – Darkness CDS (Spiral Trax, 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Chris Pointdexter – Darkness CDS (Spiral Trax, 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Oct 23, 2004 15:44
Artist: Chris Pointdexter
Title: Darkness
Label: Spiral Trax
Genre: Progressive house/trance
Format: CD Single
Released: August 2004
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/spt1cd035_b.jpg

Review:

This release is a couple of months old, but I thought it deserved some more attention.

Chris Pointdexter (Christer Gustafsson) from Sweden is a new artist at Spiral Trax, and after a successful 12” release of “Darkness” + the Ticon remix, these tracks are now also out on a CD Single, combined with a track from his newest 12”, “Tribal Thing”. Judging by the official release-info Chris Pointdexter is a well-known house-producer in Sweden, but this is the first release I’ve heard, and what really caught my attention was the remix from Ticon, who haven’t released much material in 2004.

01. Darkness (Ticon Remix)
And opening the CD Single is Ticons remix of “Darkness”; A hard-hitting progressive track with a great drive and a really catchy groove - Dark, but yet uplifting with its typical Ticon/NDSA-melodies. Needless to say, this track is HUGE on the dance floor, and during the last couple of months I’ve heard it cause absolute carnage in both progressive house and trance sets. Excellent.

02. Tribal Thing
The track-name on this baby is well-chosen - From the first second there’s tribal percussion all over the place, and the atmosphere is dark and dirty. The track doesn’t really evolve, but it’s really hypnotizing, and luckily it’s running just under 7 minutes, so it never gets boring.

03. Darkness
The original version of Darkness is a lot darker and grittier than Ticons version. The groove is still here though, but the track is not nearly as dance friendly and “in your face”. Don’t let that fool you though; played in the middle of the night in a progressive house set, this can also work wonders on the dance floor.

Bottom line:

An interesting CD Single if you’re into the Spiral Trax, and especially the ACDC sound. Both originals are awesome deep, hypnotic progressive house tunes, but the trancier Ticon remix with its great drive and use of melodies is what really made this release worth the money.

Favourites:

1(!!), 2

Verdict:

8/10 (9/10 for the Ticon remix and 7/10 for the originals)

Link:

Spiral Trax: http://www.spiraltrax.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Oct 23, 2004 19:23
yeah, i really enjoyed the CD as well.. i would have liked to see at least one of the tracks with a higher tempo, because i don't always find myself mixing at 130, but hey, its prog, what am i supose to expect.. lol..

I really like all three tracks, they each have there own little something, with a slight preference for the ticon remix..

it was a good buy.. the best single release on spiraltrax in a while..           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Oct 23, 2004 21:09
since i got this maxi (2-3 months before) i never stop playing original and tribal thing, its amazing dirty dirty progressive, nothing better for me...           Believe your soul !
krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Oct 24, 2004 15:14
I got the vinyl single of "Darkness" several months back and the Ticon Remix is still one of the 2 or 3 best tracks I've heard in 2003. Huge, huge, huge in every single way a track can be huge. The groove is fantastic like we have grown to expect from Ticon, and that melody hook is beautifully sick. For me, this is perhaps the best track I've heard Ticon's hand in. Can't stop playing it, can't stop listening to it.

My only complaint with the 12" release is that the mastering sounds quite muffled on the remix. Any of you with the CD single having the same problems? Is the sound quality OK?
          -----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
tom anteater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Oct 25, 2004 19:48
great release i like the original most for the time being.. not really had the right occasion to play the ticon rmx yet, but it sure sounds nice at home!

oh, and...
Quote:

On 2004-10-24 15:14, krelm wrote:
... one of the 2 or 3 best tracks I've heard in 2003...

sort it out david           >>love will tear us apart...<<
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Oct 30, 2004 13:12
nice nice nice !!!!
this so simple but so beautiful melody of the ticon rmx just blows my head off
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Chris Pointdexter – Darkness CDS (Spiral Trax, 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance