Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree (Ultimae Records, 2011)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree (Ultimae Records, 2011)

Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Aug 11, 2011 13:02:40
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree

Ultimae Records, 2011

1. Arecibo
2. System
3. Somewhere In Russia
4. Terpene
5. Inertia
6. VLA (Edit)
7. Kensington Gardens
8. Held Together By Gravity

Carbon Based Lifeforms are my favorite artists from Ultimae Records, the magical world of Vincent Villus, along with Asura and H.U.V.A. Network. The trip with otherworldly sounds created by Johannes Hedberg and Daniel Segerstad had started long time ago together with the advent of their debut album called "Hydroponic Garden". The artists wanted to create a purely ambient album for a long time. Finally they managed to fulfill their dream, which resulted in the "Twentythree" album. Until now Carbon Based Lifeforms have accustomed us to other kinds of tunes, more dynamic, very often laced with acidic atmosphere. While getting familiar with this album do not expect something you know from their previous albums. Here the Swedish wizards leave every sonic adornment and their typical sound behind and take up pure beatless core, achieving ambient apogee, made immortal by the likes of Biosphere.

As one of their leading motifs on this album Johannes and Daniel introduce deep space shrouded in mysteries, where mankind tries to find even the scarcest answers, some significant singnal from infinite frontiers. It is pure ambient at its best, served in and elegant form and an elegant packing, which continues the tradition of Ultimae Records releases' new cover designs established by the "Origin #01" album by Solar Fields. Nice pastel colors presented on the cover contrast in an intriguing way with peculiar colors of space created by the sounds. Imagine that you can levitate freely and effortlessly without any kind of help from a special space-suit, or the necessity to breathe. Long and hypnotic portions of sounds, which dominate throughout the whole thing, emulate a free flight into the infinite cosmic abyss. Everything seduces and sucks further into the bottomless sonic pit like an invisible sprayed mist of pheromones. Along with the following chapters of this story we will find ourselves in Puerto Rico ("Arecibo" and the famous radio telescope), Russia ("Somewhere In Russia"), Socorro in New Mexico (the "VLA" track, the title of which stands for the Very Large Array radio astronomy observatory), or London ("Kensington Gardens"). Although the material presented here is far from the past CBL releases, one can still feel characteristic features of the Swedish artists' music, who try to convey their visions in an extremely tasteful way, building consistently a truly unearthly atmosphere. The album is great for soothing oneself, perfect for headphones. Delicate, floating ambient music will lull both the body and the mind to sleep, relax, enable deep reflections - whatever you want, guaranteed it is without any movement on your part. Just you and the sound.

It is more than evident for me that not all people will like this release. They don't have to. Carbon Based Lifeforms recorded what they wanted and how they wanted and in my book they managed to perform this task flawlessly, thus scoring some extra points. Personally I prefer the vibe presented on "Hydroponic Garden", however they succeeded in catching my full attention with this album. It's beautiful, melancholic and deep in its own way. The album proves to be a great friend whenever I want everything around me to slow down and chillout, along with me in the centre of it. For some it might be just pure boredom, fortunately not all are destined for such shortsightedness and ignorance, because in these supposedly banal ambient tracks lies the power of their message and an interesting story, which is lead slowly but consistently. It is a beautiful backdrop of dreams and a cloak of space enchanted in sounds, just waiting for our presence and inviting us to explore it with every single piece of our minds.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/inr/inr1cd047.html
http://www.ultimae.com/en/news/449.html
          www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree (Ultimae Records, 2011)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance