Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Benza - Retrofuturism [Sonic Dragon] SDREC002
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Benza - Retrofuturism [Sonic Dragon] SDREC002

sourcepan
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 05:12
Benza - Retrofuturism [Sonic Dragon] SDREC002

release date - feb 11th 2005

1. isis and osiris -
starting off with a laid back 140 bpm morning tune, a gentle classic benza synth melody, progressive bassline, nice tone sounding throughout goes into a sample about isis and osiris, i'm not much of a movie buff so i'm unsure of it's origin.

2. the ascension of smeagal -
picking up the pace a little to 144 bpm, acidic morning lead synth with a chunkier fuller bassline. midway through the track comes the screaming benza style lead we all know and love. goes into a little sample interlude with golem from LOTR's before a different sort of a break where the sound briefly drops out to silence, will have an interesting effect on the dancefloor i'd imagine! quite a long track too at over 10 minutes.

3. duck and cover -
keeping on with another chunky full on bassline, smoothly distorted full on lead sounds throughout, subtly euphoric melodies, not much to say except i love it!

4. escalation of tensions -
opens with crazy sounding ethnic samples (probably because i have no clue as to what's being said), rockin' deep rumbling bassline, busy busy, acidic 'benza' arpeggio, chirping distorted lead, great tonal melody, great track.

5. last of the v8 interceptors -
opens with an aussie film sample, but once again, even though it sounds familiar, it escapes me where it's from, might be from a 'mad max' film actually?
quirky percussion, a few delay lama murmurs, lots of little sounds and pads that progress things nicely, and of course all leading to another benza melody

6. depth perception -
slowing down to 135 bpm here, light, some would say cheesey melody, picking up with a scrambling melodic synth lead, briefly breaks into a distorted electric guitar stab, before finishing up with more melody.

7. soiled -
fantastic funky stuttering bassline, neeeooww type lead sound, delay lama chanting over some nicely delayed notes, breaks into some sample action, before continuing on as previous.

8. the pipe doctor -
cool techy percussion, another chunky full bassline, chopped up samples and talking synths, breaks into a full guitar tune for a while, before winding down nicely.

9. the twin complex of dawn -
as the name suggests, a lovely morning number,atmospheric sounds, more smoothly distorted leads, some xylophone type sounds and acidic washes, cruises along nicely!

10. captain senior mouse -
starts off rather loosely, ambling along at 115 bpm, quite a retro electro feel to it, big synth stabs, chilled melodies all the way, nice end to the journey.

as always, expressive and emotive. pretty evident i'm listening to someone who knows more about music than most artists making trance which adds a little something different to the sound.
good fun, but maybe not quite as funny as the first album. the sort of full on i can definitely digest in the morning.
as was the case with his first album, it comes as a breath of fresh air to my cd collection, surfing the line between genres.
it's a fair length album too at nearly 80 minutes!
couldn't say which will be my favourites just yet.................. but of course, i recommend it
Rik
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  107
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 14:53
lovely to see the release is nearly available in stores, i'm more than curious for the tracks i don't have yet and the mastered versions of the one i got last year during benza's visit to belgium.

I'll be watching the shelves of my local recordstore!           www.psytracks.com :: Brand new website for sharing your psytracks with the world. Get a free 250Mb Artist profile, Blog and events calender!
www.psygarden.be :: Upload your psychedelic art and partypictures to our gallery!
kobi_palombo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Jan 18, 2005 21:45
when when its relsesesesesssssssssdddddd ppl when??

Boom Boom
TweekerD

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jan 19, 2005 02:23
Can't wait , the samples on saikosounds got my mouth watering....

BOM           "We just got that Volcano lit...

...Gee, I thought Tarzan was set in Africa!"

- 1979 Flashdance, Haltya
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jan 19, 2005 05:43
trying to be patient but it's hard           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
snapinho

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 16, 2005 16:17
Just got my copy from Saiko Sounds yesterday and was verrrrry happy with it too! Especially the bassline in Soiled -> crazy, stuttering indeed, makes me bounce like a nutcase.
Good review too, you can hear Benza's very musical and has a good ear for different stylez: tis not full on, progressive, morning or afternoon trance. A bit of it all and yet none of them at the same time, if ya ask me (so maybe its best not to )
Very happy with this album!!
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Mar 16, 2005 17:22
I have heard almost every track from this album, from Benza's recent LIVE set... and I was incredibly impressed. It is indeed "proper psychedeia" , very musical and creative- awesome! Big thumbs up on his new sounds!
Lauryn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  51
Posted : Mar 16, 2005 21:18
Benza
'Retrofuturism'
Sonic Dragon Records 2004

1. Isis and Osirus
2. The Ascension of Smeagol
3. Duck and Cover
4. Escalation of Tensions
5. Last of the V8 Interceptors
6. Depth Perception
7. Soiled
8. The Pipe Doctor
9. The Twin Complex of Dawn
10. Captain Senior Mouse

1. 'Isis and Osirus'- The album opens with a single tone...which builds up into a steady groove before we are greeted by a melody that fills the track out...skipping up and down...a deeper organic synth melody comes in, along with the original tone....and the bassline sets a pace for the track...more morning melodies twist around and layered one upon the other....a breakdown...and the melody shifts along to add in a xylaphone melody along with some guitar chords...a somber, yet uplifting sound...progressing onwards...the voice of an old wise man...leads to another breakdown and the xylaphone melody really takes over here, such a unique sound! One of my favorite things about Australian psytrance...is the presence of organic sounds...a good opening groove 9/10

2. 'The Ascension of Smeagol'- A hypnotic synth that speeds up and then slows down again....a slow kick is introduced...speeding up....and a deep rolling bassline nicely complements the synth melody....a brief percussion break....and the track really takes off....lots of complex melodies overlayed, fill this track up nicely....the percussion in this one is fairly prominent, and I can definately hear Benza's jazz influence coming out in this track....a break down....and the melody is alone....and then drops out...as a deep rolling synth and percussion take center stage until the main melody takes over and this track really starts flying....a sort of spanish influence in the percussion line perhaps....another breakdown....and we're back to an oscillating melody and the original bassline....lots of melodic layers in this track...killer morning sounds here...and suddenly, the deep rolling bassline and percussion take over once again...ahhhh and finally there's Smeagol! (i have been waiting for him LOL) and then bam...a very acid sounding melody....a sharp buildup....two complete breaks....solo percussion....and...... 10/10

3. 'Duck and Cover'- A sharp piercing synth....a few deeper stabs...a deep rolling bassline....to start off the groove..."mind your own business mister" and the lead synth comes in....very much upfront and raw sounding in this track...some tunneling sounds give the track more depth....another melody is introduced...creating a more bouncy feel contrasting nicely with the rawness of the previous sounds...a breakdown...and lots of rolling acid synth sounds swirling around....and an ethereal ambiance smoothly takes over the track that makes me want to boogie down ....and a sample/buildup....don't know where this one is going...and its back into the raw acid sounds....a nice contrast between raw, bouncy, and ethereal synth lines... 8/10

4. 'Escalation of Tensions'- Ambient sounds and breakbeats start this track off...a prominant bassline...and an incoherent sample...the kick is added in....mysterious sounds fade in and out...the bassline begins slowly developing the groove...and a synth melody begins to grow...ambient pads in the background create a nice atmosphere...a nice transition...and the melody is building into...a killer bassline....along with the addition of a pitter patter melody...like raindrops on a tin roof...a funky synth kicks in over this...and smoooothllly the track rolls along....more melodic layers...a breakdown...its still growing....and a very strong bassline...the original synth melody...the addition of sharp piercing synth stabs are layered over the melody, perhaps a bit out front for my liking...and the tension continues to build...the- resolution...and the original breakbeat at the end. 8/10

5. 'Last of the V8 Interceptors'- An opening sample leads into a dark mysterious groove I lovee! some organic percussion....and a groovin bassline kicks in...along with the addition of a mysterious sounding melody....samples fade in and out...along with a synth stab leading into...total break down...and the addition of some more percussion...sets the groover on its way...a new synth sound slides around the melody....its still a pretty sparse groove...with the bassline taking prominance once again...and samples fade in and the overall ambiance is mysterious...darker than previous tracks on this album....there is a feeling of sinking down...and then at 5:50 the signature Benza melody shows itself for the first time in this track...dances around a bit....and then fades off...leaving us with the mysterious atmosphere once again...swirling down...love the dark feel to this track 9/10

6. 'Depth Perception'- Nice organic african style drums at the beginning of this track, mixing well with a digiridoo sounding synth line...and the bassline is in...and the track is starting off with a slower kick at 135bpm or so....a nice ambient pad in the distance....building into the track nicely....the first breakdown....reminds me of very early morning...the melody stutters a bit....and the main groove is in....I'm loving the stuttering ambient sounds!!!!!! A delicate melody joins in, and I feel like the journey has just begun...a breakdown...the delicate melody...and then new pretty straightforward sounding percussion...meaning we know Benza is sure to throw a twist in at any second....sure enough, a bright melody fills this track in very nicely...a melodic breakdown....and the tribal percussion is at the forefront once again...the kick and bassline have dropped out...and an almost electric guitar sounding synth joins in...contrasting very nicely with the previous smooth organic sounds...the snare is a bit flat sounding in this track...perhaps making it not as powerful sounding as it could be....the stuttering ambience brings this track to an end...a nice chilled out trance 9/10

7. 'Soiled'- Swirling melodies...and a strong kick start this track off...a prominent snare sound....leads into a very fat synth melody....again a very nice contrast between these two sounds...creating a nice separation in the track...in which a laser synth melody fills in the middle very nicely...and some mysterious sounds with nice delay...are answered by an almost human sounding synth...echoing back and forth...and slowing down into almost 6/8...then breakdown. "total fucking silence" "total silence' for real...and aaaahhhhh this very nice fat synth melody....and some warm synth sounds swirl around....laser sounds again...a nice groove...but would have liked to see this track have progressed more 8/10

8.'The Pipe Doctor'- A mysterious opening gives way to a groovy stomping bassline...and some nice old school breakbeat-ish percussion...a screaming spooky sample....and some funky vocal-ish synth sounds are introduced...and a bouncy breakdown....and a happy groovy bassline comes back into the mix...and some nice raw sounding electric guitar sound "everybody please do not panic" and then a niiiiicccceeeee breakdown surprise ....silence. buildup....and the guitars are full on...with a nice squidgy synth sound...i love the whole breakbeatish feel of this track... a killer bouncy raw groover! 9/10

9.'The Twin Complex of Dawn'- The track opens with a single synth melody and mysterious samples...From the title of this track...I'm immediately expecting a nice morning track of some sort...a few ethereal melodies join in with this steady groove...breakdown and a sample along with the melody...more ambient pads join in with the delayed samples in the background...and the melody finally takes prominance here...and the kick comes back in stronger than before...a killer morning melody....and another melodic breakdown, that doesn't stop the intensity of this track....with a nice deep bass sound....a delicate yet mysterious bell melody is introduced, slightly changing the feel of this track....the bassline drops out- stopping us dead in our tracks...im listening in anticipation as we are again feeling a lighter groove...This track reminds me of very early morning....when the sun is just starting to rise...killer morning track!!! 9/10

10.'Captain Senior Mouse'- Some funky keys open up this track and its a slow downtempo groove at about 116 bpm...the first breakdown introduces a second raw synth....and some nice percussion......a breakdown...and a more ethereal dreamy synth melody is introduced....its so nice to see all the elements from the previous more full on tracks incorporated together into a more downtempo track that just grooves...heh. well I'm enjoying listening to this last track so much...that I don't have much more to say about it, other than 10/10

Favorites: 1, 2 (!!!), 5, 8, 9, 10 (!!!)

Overall: An excellent second full length release from Mr. Benza! It's very obvious from listening to this album,that this guy is one very talented musician and I hope to hear much more from him in the future! His tracks are full of originality and are such a nice fun refreshing break from much of the psychedelic trance I am used to listening to. Killer uplifting, melodic, morning, afternoon, evening, full on, dark, progressive, quirky, psychedelic grooves!!! Overall: 9/10

***...Also, if you enjoy Benza's music, you must also check out the live mix of 'The Wolf' which appears on the Rainbow Serpent 2004 compilation put out by Green Ant Records.***           ~gOa ist nicht nur musik sondern auch eine lebenseinstellung~
http://www.peakrec.com/
http://www.myspace.com/djlauryn
benza
Benza

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 18:37
Just want to drop a quick note to thank everyone for their glowing reviews.

It brings me great joy to know that my music is appreciated in many and varied places. Thankyou eternally for your support.

Enjoy,

Benza
kobi_palombo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Mar 19, 2005 22:45
Good album
my fav: . the ascension of smeagal & Captain Senior Mouse

Boom Boom
Elad
Tsabeat/Sattel Battle

Started Topics :  158
Posted : Mar 23, 2005 05:10
gr8 cd

i liked track 4 and 6 the most

very nice melodic trance - not too fast.. with benza sounds hehe looovvveee those bells

my favorite car cd!

9/10           www.sattelbattle.com
http://yoavweinberg.weebly.com/
*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : Apr 29, 2005 08:48
Depth of Perception!!!!!
WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TRACK !!!!!!

From the percussion to the atmosphere. PURE CLASS!!!!           ~*** You can tell By the way i use my walk, Im a woman's man, No time to Talk***~
Rain
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Apr 29, 2005 22:17
this is one of my fauvorite new releases until now...

psychedelic trance with lots of goa influences...

no dancefloor killers here, but trippy style....

smooth and light melodic...

telling a story using trance is present here... it's a fairytale, trolls and ellfs dancing under a big mushroom...
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Mar 27, 2006 15:16
its great cd. i very like this sound and way of building melody. pure psychedelic. and very trancy. i like it because of the scent that essential to every track here. its always good to listen to material that have such a flow. also i want to say that many psy-releases suffer 'lack of trance sense'. its a fashion to bring psychedelic out of trance-oriented plain beatbase. even progressive artists include more and more groove and breaks to their tracks. full-on in this case looks like preferable way of producing. its very trancy itself but we all know that because of full-on fashion there are extremely not enough inner psychedelia in music. new acts want to flash for first time to attract attention and this drives them to narrow their mind and to produce music track-by-track in one way to get released material. last time its far not often occasion to get an album with real feeling of what is the point of style.
so it is very good to see that there are expirienced musicians who do not need to established themselves special way and who cares both of two words - 'psychedelic trance'.
and this care is shown here with some special features:
- building of a flow that get you through the disc. organic(!) continuing changes within tracklist to provide you with integral emotion state in dynamics. naturally compilations always almost cant reach needed level. but so do albums these days.
- understanding of an importance of trance-friendly hypnotic beats. it could be original itself or verifying to some degree within itself but it should have integral captivating taste and create sort of stunning effect. nowaday sadly it is also rare.

what the fuck?! those who have an idea of meaning of trance rhytm-base have epidemic lack of creativity. there are many good newcomers but often they not trying to wide their music from tracks to album. and on other side it is too many examples for me how creativity sucks without paying enough attention to music side. huge part of releases now are just attempts to bring us 'psychedelia itself'. strange and frightening expirience reflecting minds that have no idea of what is the music about. for me there is no psychedelia (or it have no attractivity) itself. only within the music creative art. music provides emotional state. trance beats creates special point to get you in. psychedelic sound only fill those emotions with outstanding depth. but there is no depth itself.

benza has produced album in full psychedelic style. and more then that he has produced it without false encouragement to psy-side that drives many to set music aside. album has unique style and efficient sound production. it is not so fast and intensive to consider tracks as dancefloor-oriented but im sure that live act is very interesting and have original progressive taste. hovewer i cant say myself that all the album is close to me. it is a matter of taste of course. i think it is very talented musically and conceptually but i dont like track the last of v8 interceptors and there are couple of episodes in other tracks that just not my cup of tea.
style of the music and flow reminds me artax - super position. but harmonies and way of building melody closer to yahel it is one more rare feature about this release. not many producers use those mild and deep touching light sounding synths.
when it comes to exact tracks first of all i want to repeat that in case of a flow there is no actual reason to pay much attention to this side. although there are real great pieces for sure.
depth of perception (i have voted for this track as the best 2005 track)
the ascension of smeagol
the pipe doctor

pure psychedelic. storylike. mild progressive and warm.           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Benza - Retrofuturism [Sonic Dragon] SDREC002

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance