Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Attoya - Based On True Events - Trishula Records - 2007
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Attoya - Based On True Events - Trishula Records - 2007

a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Dec 13, 2007 23:19
Title: Based On True Events
Artist: Attoya
Label: Trishula Records
Date:10/2007
Tracks: 09
Mastered by: 4CN Studios
Cover Art: Zoolog
Cat. #:TRR1CD012

1. Based On True Events 7:27 (150 BPM)
2. Above Natural Sleep 8:33 (148 BPM)
3. The Reflection Of Awry Mirrors 8:07 (150 BPM)
4. Our Tasty Part 7:00 (148 BPM)
5. The System Of Multiple Language 7:59 (150 BPM)
6. Green Crop Matured 9:01 (150 BPM)
7. Natural Vitamin 9:32 (150 BPM)
8. Color Shades 6:17 (155 BPM)
9. What I’ve Felt 8:05 (155 BPM)

Alex and Leonid Burshtein are two brothers that form the group Attoya. They released their debut album in Trishula Records (that goes already with 12 releases) after some of their music was released in various compilations, and I recall one track in Neverending Story 2, which is a superb track, very hypnotic track that I enjoyed a lot and left me curious to hear more music from this duet. Although in some tracks on this album my expectations were well fulfilled, others left me beyond my expectations. But let’s go all the way through Based On True Events, and hear the tracks.

Based On True Events (T1), is the track that gave name to the album. A tune of 150 BPM`s that starts on a rather smooth way that goes in a crescendo, with some small FX here and there, till at 3 minutes it goes downwards and when all the sounds start again we get the trademark of the brothers - those delicious hypnotic sounds – that work very fine. After this at 5:00 minutes they use a sound that really isn’t my cup of tea, and in my point of view ruins a little bit the vibe of the track.

Above Natural Sleep (T2), the second track starts with some sounds of birds in the beginning, and with some environment sounds of a forest – which will be a constant through the music - later after this sounds we can ear some spooky leads, and at 3:00 minutes starts a sound that it is very similar to a person speaking, but is distorted in such a way, that the sound emitted seems a cat making noise; then at 5:37 minutes appears a lead that I enjoyed a lot, creating an awesome atmosphere! Very interesting this track.

Now we go to The Reflection Of Awry Mirrors (T3), one of my favourite tracks of the album. It has some wicked and twisted leads, and I particularly like the way the leads are produced, because they give the sensation of continuity - if you heard track n. º 2 and thought it was spooky then this one will give you some creeps up your spine. All the sounds worn by the brothers create confusion and puzzlement in your brain cells. Favourite.

Our Tasty Part (T4) is a great track. The 1st minute starts in a very soft way, and after the 1st minute, some hats start, giving more enthusiasm in the track, and some sounds that seem the wind - this combined with some mellow melodies and hypnotic sounds with harsh psychedelism create chaos! These combined forces of light and dark sounds are just great! Another favourite.

Track nr. º 5, The System Of Multiple Language (T5), revolves around some atmospheric melancholic sonorities, with some male samples in the mixture and some piano notes. This on didn’t caught very much my hearings, because has I stated before runs much in melancholic sounds, and it didn’t pleased me much.

Green Crop Matured (T6) starts with more happy sounds, then its predecessor. The BPM´s on this work go around the 150. The track begins with two nice leads, one almost seeming voices, and the other creating dizziness behind it, and this work is interesting because they complement one another, they do not overwhelm themselves. Then there is addiction of more leads, but one thing I couldn’t stop noticing is that it could have more variation in these two leads I have just mentioned and on the hats. It seems somehow that the brothers repeated themselves to much in this track, because although the work on the leads is nice it becomes very repetitive after some time, and this one not being the longest track in the album, is the second longest with 9:00 minutes, and the lack of variation, eventually makes it loose some magic.

Natural Vitamin (T7) is THE longest track in this album, with 9:32 minutes! Once again we work with 150 BPM´s. It begins right away with some dark pads and random space noises. The flow of this one is obscure with gloomy sounds; the kick and bass line are strong and fat respectively. It has a brake in the middle of the music with some frightening sounds that are suffering some highs and downs in the volumes. It has also a lead that is very similar to sound of rubber, a little bit annoying if I may say, but maybe this was the effect Attoya wanted to create.

Now comes Color Shades (T8), and along with the last track, they are the fastest tunes in the album spinning around the 155 BPM´s, but this one is the shortest track on the album. It has some twilight sounds, and in the beginning we can ear a lead very dynamic, full of groove ness, but always accompanied with the hypnotic and dark sounds that characterizes the brothers. The percussive elements are way better than most of the previous works, giving more danceable elements. My favourite track of the album.

Now What I’ve Felt (T9), the last track of the album, comes in the mood of the CD, and you will get basically the same sonorities, with a little of variation with other sounds, some twilight sonorities, also some work with R2-D2 sounds here and there, nothing out of regular, an average track.

The mastering of this CD was made in the 4CN studios and the artwork made by Zoolog.

So to conclude my review, I must say; ok, it took me sometimes to listen to this album and write a review, because the 1st times I heard it the music the brothers created, didn’t caught my attention, and I was not able to get some essences of their work. One thing I have noticed is that they use a lot the same work on the hats, and I believe this is an area the brothers must invest more because in the end of hearing 9 tracks with almost the same hats becomes a little bit boring.
I believe also, they should have waited a little bit more for releasing an album so the duet, which seem to me, have lots of talent, could perfect their skills in music. It seems that the rush of releasing their music broke some expectations I had for them. We still have nice moments of music but I think they could have done more specially because of what I have already heard from them and know what they are capable of. We can hear in this album some great moments of music but in the other hand some parts of the tracks do not fit together, they are not in perfect symbiosis; they break a little bit the vibe we expect to follow. I think they repeat some sounds very often. Of course we get some interesting tracks, like the case of “Above Natural Sleep”, ”Our Tasty Part”, “The Reflection Of Awry Mirror” and “Color Shades”.

I know that the brothers have enormous potential but in this album I believe it was not fully accomplished. They already created their unique sound but need more improvement in the hats and do not repeat the same sounds so often. I hope Attoya, take these critics as positive and improve of they are capable of doing.
Favourites: 2, 3, 4, and 8(!).
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 07:55
Good review Andre

Well, Attoya are without doubt talented & have an abundance of ideas when it comes to the outdoor forest sound. But i found the ideas to be slightly amateurish at times & lacking in the X-Factor.

I am almost certain their next album will be something to really watch out for.

Goodluck to the Attoya duo & big ups to Mouka for keeping it alive

BooM
Saikozaurus
Saikozaurus

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 08:31
For my taste its a perfect album, its a forest music and for me its 100% working. Any case who can understand what they trying to show us, he understand. My best wishes, guys, and looking forward to hear new forest tales from you Boom!!!           http://soundcloud.com/saikozaurus
http://www.myspace.com/saikozaurus
bookings: saikozaurus@gmail.com
mouka
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 11:40
Cheerz for the review Andre.
It all depends what your expectations are for this album to make an opinion. For a debut album it is very well done but of course it can be better! I am also sure their second album will be much stronger indeed but they have their own unique sound and that is st. you don't find a lot nowadays.           www.ajana-records.com
www.trishula-records.com
d1m1tr1
Dark Elf

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 14:22
good review Andre !!! i like some parts of the album but not all !!!

anyway, it is not easy to produce many tracks in a row !!!

Cheers to Attoya and Trishula

http://darkelf.gr
http://www.sonic-loom.com
fungusok
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Dec 20, 2007 13:15
One of may favourite releases in this year.
Very good review and very good organic forest psy music
With this album it was a discovery of Attoya for me. I heard maybe 1 or 2 tracks on other compilations but did not expect the release of the full lenght and it was a very nice surprise. Thank you Trishula and Mouka!
I think it is logical chapter in Attoya's development. Now I have an expectation for the super-killa 2nd album!           TRIPLAG MUSIC ::
http://www.triplag.com/music/
D-A-R-K records::
Rockdenashi Productionz ::
darkgnome

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jan 27, 2008 13:28
Quote:

On 2007-12-13 23:19, a3k wrote:

I know that the brothers have enormous potential but in this album I believe it was not fully accomplished. They already created their unique sound but need more improvement in the hats and do not repeat the same sounds so often. I hope Attoya, take these critics as positive and improve of they are capable of doing.

I have to agree. It's a nice album but doesn't really rise to the level of being something completely great and different.
I know I'll be using this a soundtrack next summer for the long walks in the forest.

6/10           Kimi-tachi wa keikoku sareta!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Attoya - Based On True Events - Trishula Records - 2007

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance