Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Astrix?
← Prev Page
3 4 5 6 7
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Astrix?

Colin OOOD
OOOD/Voice of Cod

Started Topics :  95
Posted : Mar 2, 2010 04:09
When music technology takes a big investment for someone to start, it means that generally it's the people who have a real drive and talent for it who are willing to make that investment, and then they tend to dedicate their lives to it to some degree or other, because 1) they're that into it in the first place, and 2) "holy shit how much have I spent on this stuff? Gotta make it worth it!". Dedicating part (or all!) of your life to doing something is by far the best way of getting really fucking good at it, and this IMO is why elitism in electronic music can be a good thing.

When no investment (or only a trivial one) is needed, it opens up the door to dabblers and dilettantes, people who don't necessarily have the same degree of focus and drive and who don't necessarily feel the urge to spend every waking moment sat in front of a sequencer getting really fucking good at making music. Thus much of the electronic music made in the last 10 years or so has been rubbish. However the democratisation of music technology has also made it possible for people with natural talent but who would have otherwise been unable to make that first step into production; people who have made music we would never have heard had the virtual revolution never happened - people who are now able to spend their lives sat in front of a sequencer getting really fucking good at making music. Plus making music is good for you so most people who give it a go get something out of it. This IMO is why it's a good thing that music-making is less elitist now.

$0.02
          Mastering - http://mastering.OOOD.net :: www.is.gd/mastering
OOOD 5th album 'You Think You Are' - www.is.gd/tobuyoood :: www.OOOD.net
www.facebook.com/OOOD.music :: www.soundcloud.com/oood
Contact for bookings/mastering - colin@oood.net
Beat Agency
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  53
Posted : Mar 2, 2010 12:49
Agree with Colin. The problem is not the people making the music. The problem is the quality control once they send their music to the way too many unprofessional labels.

What this scene and many other scenes need is aware and professional minded people saying "no thank you", "Go back to your day job".           www.beatagency.dk
DETOX

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Mar 2, 2010 14:02
Well the thing with the majority of the labels in our days is that they are established by wannabe artists that release through them their music and their friends music because no serious label would release them anyway.....

Half of the people who used to send me demos when my label was still operating and whom i declined to release now have their own label and release their stuff on their own.....           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
Beat Agency
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  53
Posted : Mar 2, 2010 21:54
Most "serious" labels also need a quality control officer as things has progressed.           www.beatagency.dk
rich
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Mar 3, 2010 03:11
Quote:

On 2010-03-02 14:02, DETOX wrote:
Well the thing with the majority of the labels in our days is that they are established by wannabe artists that release through them their music and their friends music because no serious label would release them anyway.....

Half of the people who used to send me demos when my label was still operating and whom i declined to release now have their own label and release their stuff on their own.....

(This is a DIY ethic that's highly encouraged though, especially for 'underground' music (such as psytrance)).

kriz
Horrordelic Records

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Mar 3, 2010 06:22
Detox: Thanks for the entertainment dude.. You really top yourself, you know all and know all thats cool and not ..

But (i have read your writings for years):
You always think it was better before, when it was few labels and a definite way of psytrance.. Why ??

Let people enjoy 200bpm killers and you can listen to whatever you want.. I try not to bash or talk down on their styles, I suggest you to try the same.            3o~ kriz aka krize 3o~ ....Horrordelic Records.... http://www.horrordelic.com
----------------------------
- Think for yourself -
http://www.goatrance.de/goabase/member/profile/lkkkaKhOQP
kathmandu

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 5, 2010 23:08
Quote:

On 2010-02-18 20:37, MorNinG MaGiC wrote:
Astrix - Visions still gives me the shivers!!

even when you are awake?!?

and on the topic, there is an online release called special TD for Red Means Distortion. I am quite enjoying it actually!!
          shiv..shiv..shiv..shiv..shiv..shiv
kahn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 01:25
Quote:

On 2010-03-05 23:08, kathmandu wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-18 20:37, MorNinG MaGiC wrote:
Astrix - Visions still gives me the shivers!!

even when you are awake?!?

and on the topic, there is an online release called special TD for Red Means Distortion. I am quite enjoying it actually!!

It's a fake actually. Disregard the tracks in it. Most of those are either rips from his sets, myspaces, or other sites. Plus it has a few old ones.           http://www.soundcloud.com/djKAHN
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 07:31
The problem with the extreme fragmenting of the psytrance scene is that no one all comes together for parties anymore , because so many parties just show one style of music.
mquirk1
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 10:26
Quote:

On 2010-03-02 04:09, Colin OOOD wrote:
When music technology takes a big investment for someone to start, it means that generally it's the people who have a real drive and talent for it who are willing to make that investment, and then they tend to dedicate their lives to it to some degree or other, because 1) they're that into it in the first place, and 2) "holy shit how much have I spent on this stuff? Gotta make it worth it!". Dedicating part (or all!) of your life to doing something is by far the best way of getting really fucking good at it, and this IMO is why elitism in electronic music can be a good thing.

When no investment (or only a trivial one) is needed, it opens up the door to dabblers and dilettantes, people who don't necessarily have the same degree of focus and drive and who don't necessarily feel the urge to spend every waking moment sat in front of a sequencer getting really fucking good at making music. Thus much of the electronic music made in the last 10 years or so has been rubbish. However the democratisation of music technology has also made it possible for people with natural talent but who would have otherwise been unable to make that first step into production; people who have made music we would never have heard had the virtual revolution never happened - people who are now able to spend their lives sat in front of a sequencer getting really fucking good at making music. Plus making music is good for you so most people who give it a go get something out of it. This IMO is why it's a good thing that music-making is less elitist now.

$0.02

i don't buy that argument. needing to make a big investment to get into something doesnt' necesarilly mean it's people with the drive and the talent who do it. it could just as easily mean it's just the people with money to throw around who get into it. do you reckon all the rich dudes out there driving around in ferarris are the most driven and talented race car drivers? no, there would be shitloads of people who dedicate there whole life to cars and racing but who don't have the funding to afford anything above a mid priced sports car or something,

in fact i'd argue the opposite, that now that plugins/computers etc are so cheap, this has opened up the world of electronic music to so many more talented musicians who would previously have been alienated because of the price of hardware gear. as for the "if i spent a lot of money on this i may be more inclined to spend a lot of time working on it', you may be right. but as far as musical talent goes you either have it or you don't. you can spend 10 hours a day on it for years but you might never be able to write as well as some 9 year old musical freak who can write symphonies in his sleep. same goes for productions skills, some people are just born with golden ears.

more people producing electronic music = more good electronic music. it's as simple as that. people act like electronic music was so much better 'back in the day' but the reality is the ratio of good to crap was still the same, it's just there's so much more in general being produced now so there seems like more crap..
Colin OOOD
OOOD/Voice of Cod

Started Topics :  95
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 16:18
You didn't actually read everything I wrote, did you           Mastering - http://mastering.OOOD.net :: www.is.gd/mastering
OOOD 5th album 'You Think You Are' - www.is.gd/tobuyoood :: www.OOOD.net
www.facebook.com/OOOD.music :: www.soundcloud.com/oood
Contact for bookings/mastering - colin@oood.net
pete
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 17:08
Quote:

$0.02

elastic_plastic
Re-Boot

Started Topics :  112
Posted : Mar 16, 2010 21:32
his old album ARTCORE is purely one of the best morning albums till date for me.... i still lisen to it and will lisen to it/play it all my life....

i dont think it matters to him what a lot of ppl say abt his music coz he still has shit loads of gigs and he is makin decent amt of money from it

i dont like his new music though... but still full credit and respect to ASTRIX!!!
OpenSourceCode
Datavore

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Mar 22, 2010 19:28
Quote:

making music is good for you

this           Quantum Frog / Anomalistic

http://soundcloud.com/priapizzm/live-club-axxcis-tokyo-12-12-2010
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Astrix?
← Prev Page
3 4 5 6 7
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance