Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page and 1 guest
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Afgin - Astral Experience (Suntrip Records, 2009)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Afgin - Astral Experience (Suntrip Records, 2009)

Jon Cocco
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Jun 4, 2009 22:32:18
Afgin - Astral Experience
Suntrip Records

Track list

1. Astral Experience ... 11:10
2. Old Is Gold (part 2) ... 8:07
3. Journey Through acid ... 9:23
4. Dreams In Motion ... 8:37
5. Emotions ... 8:47
6. Heaven's Tears ...10:02
7. Northern Exposure ... 10:39
8. Aden Prayers ... 6:55

Astral Experience is Israel artist/producer Elad Afgin's official debut album. His style is uplifting, morning/sunrise Goa-Trance, often emotive and traveling. Afgin's style appears inspired and at times influenced by California Sunshine, Astral Projection to some degree, though without the full on edge, and various others. Elad has released numerous tracks on various compilations in the past, most recently Pure Planet 3 in 2009. The track that caught many people's ears the most however was From the Heart, released on the Opus Iridium compilation in 2008 to positive reviews. Prior to that, his work has gained good attention over the internet over the years. A track-per-track analysis ensues.

1. Astral Experience begins with a relaxing wave of ambient, highlighting the first chapter in a vast, traveling journey in the form of Psychedelic morning Goa-Trance. The opening segment is great, and doesn't rush the beat that begins at 1:07. The artist soon releases a tasty melody around 1:35. An additional string of melody supports boost the infection around 2:01. A beautiful backdrop flows with the leads coupled with Psychedelic sounds, then key changes impress the rhythm. Surprisingly, this is only the first half of the second minute. Some of the layers are removed for an interlude of into the third minute. It's starts out nice, bringing the energy down. Towards its end of the interlude, it seems as if the song is preparing to retire. Suddenly an awesome line of acid breaks out at 4:16, arresting the senses while jump starting the drifting angel back to form. This is one of the coolest, most unpredictable aspects I've heard by Afgin yet. He often specializes on warm and traveling numbers, but my impression of him has just gone up. Nonetheless, it would have been wonderful if more zesty elements such as the one around 4:16 took place. After these "spiced out" energy pockets, the experience grows, albeit less acidy, further developing its travels. I like how there's so many elements, aspects of beauty, development, and evolution throughout the song. Astral Experience is a great opening track. A-

2. Old Is Gold (part 2) is instantly more aggressive, higher octane than the opening track. It has a strong core foundation, a la Another World (by AP) (self titled track) and 2008's driving Octagon track via the awesome RA - 9th album, my favorite release by Suntrip Records to date along with Filteria - Daze Of Our Lives. The song here is like one strong and aggressive rhythm, without focusing too much on intensity or climax, yet I feel like I've heard it before, that it pays homage more than is inspired to create something refreshing with pre-existing formula. Eastern melodies work well with the determined lower pithed rhythm, though the latter grows somewhat repetitious as the vehicle moves forward. An interlude breaks up the driving rhythm, which returns more juicy and appealing than before. A second interlude introduces takes place before the the song takes off to uptempo again. I'm not quite sure whether the song's paying homage to the days of 1996-1999 or what, but I prefer the previous track's more refreshing and inspired by the golden days approach. Nonetheless, the aggressive energy works well with the melody/sound work. I'm simply less hooked than I feel I should be. Good track. B

3. Journey Through Acid continues with another more aggressive, danceable missile. It's more dynamic than the previous track, with less aspects of repetition. The song takes off at 1:05; the melodies reach for higher ground as the the layers and energy build. The first third follows this building, driving pattern. It's good. As the song progresses, moments of beauty spark and spread, infecting the second and third act. Two interludes surround a core rhythm, different though reminiscent in concept from the previous track. Signs of the first interlude begins around 4:11 and develop into a floating surrender above the clouds. It's quite effective and lasts nearly two minutes! A nice, short build up returns the music, instigating key changes which is nice. I like the melody/sound work and structure here more than the previous song. Another tangling, catchy melodies releases around 7:05, elevating into higher pitched ground before descending towards the oceanic rhythm. The song could have utilized a more prominent melody lead earlier on, though the main melody from 6:11 to 7:03 stands out in a positive way. Strong track. B+

4. Dreams In Motion begins most acidy since moments that broke out in Astral Experience (opening track). This psychedelia oozes over into the growing layers of energy a la Astral Projection, but in Afgin's style and approach. The song really picks in its second minute. A repeating, altered Goa melody sounds great to the climactic melodies. Whereas some tracks have one or two melody leads broken up throughout the overall number, this has an intricate, layered one in its first third followed by a dreamy lead that takes notice around 3:12. It really stands out, soars across the sky like a hawk to the tremendous life, reflected as conscious streams that move with it. There are some pretty cool sounds around 5:00. The energy pulls back for a short interlude, including an interesting, though abstract voice sample on sound and light. Lost in a sea sea of sounds follow the sample, a stream of curiosity. A build up soon arrives, sending the adventurer back out into the world (from Heaven's star) at around 6:44. This is a very pretty, uplifting, catchy, and energetic number that gets seemingly better as it progresses. Great work. B+

5. Emotions is the first here that appears to focus less on high energy, more on emotion. The song starts out with a slowly combined fusion of melodic particles. Ambient notes are present, initially as if to convey a growing realization to the listener relative to a voice sample within the first minute that supports this theory. Quicker, little melodies pick up with the flow. Key changes accentuate the kinesthetic communication. The emotive trance piece melts into a swimming interlude around 3:57 after losing steam shortly beforehand. The effect is peaceful, bringing the energy down more than various, surrounding interludes. A nice, brief buildup returns the beat at 4:48, though little seems changed from the first acts development. The emotive edge soon spills into a second, more evolved interlude, voice sample included. The melodies that follow this part are catchier, more animated, and energetic. The final third is stronger, giving a kick to the otherwise traveling and euphoric sound. The song could have ended roughly a minute shorter, but the artist provides time to bring the sounds back to earth, not cutting off the experience short. There is a sensible, flowing coming down sense after the heightened energy of emotions that works in its favor. The overall song arrests my attention less than some of the others in the melody department, but some of its dancing Goa elements add appeal to a warm, albeit non daring approach to morning trance. Good track. B

6. Heaven's Tears begins on what appears to be the coast, beaches. The song's energy gets going soon after the first minute. The song has a morning Astral Projection via modern day sound. The approach isn't intense and compliments the traveling melody leads amongst a backdrop of supporting warmth and ocean/wind atmosphere and presence. An interlude runs from around 4:21 to 5:14; it's richly produced with substance, sound art. They're more than just breaks or moments of wind drifting space before the next melody lead, and in that sense they're often great, enjoyable. The overall song is really nice sounding. As it progresses it's direction becomes fairly predictable but this doesn't prevent it from flying high. Heaven's Tears is an upbeat, traveling, and at times dreamy morning trance number that develops its beauty from beginning to end. Excellent track. A-

7. Northern Exposure begins with several notes of ambient, soon coupled with layers of emotion, carrying the seventh chapter of the story. Melodies have room to breath. They're gradually added into the mix; the effect is like a fine broth being delicately arranged by an articulative chef. The first several minutes show case harmonious development. An interlude around 4:00 opens the path to an elegant, opening moment around 4:38. The delectable sound fusion grows, carrying an ocean of colors past the five-minute mark. Afgin has a strong melody lead here. An awesome, wind blowing as if at the top of the world interlude takes place from around 7:10 to 8:26. It's magical, euphoric, floating. The artist avoids mainstream formula for wonderful, soulful storytelling and listening pleasure, experience. The music returns at 8:27, a healthy boost that carries the final two minutes across the skies. The ambient at times echoes From the Heart. Great work, albeit a little less refreshing than some of the others. B+

8. Aden Prayers is a Goa/Psy and ethnic influenced downtempo track filled with strong melodies, atmosphere, sound, and euphoria. It's romantic and gripping from beginning to end, a strong and satisfying closing track that enhances my impression of the whole. I never feel lost for a moment when listening to this; it's like a developed spirit who has moved past life reflections, beyond body/mind consciousness, and is free to experience the celestial realms in peace. An interlude simply permeates the already knowing number, that we are simply forms of conscious experience. The song is a huge letting go, release, in a blissful stream of wondrous dreams and heart filled joy. This is a very passionate and uplifting piece with an incredible, downtempo/Sunrise high from around 4:30 to 5:00. I wish more work on the album was invested in this chilled level of new school infection. Wonderful track. A

In conclusion, Afgin's Astral Experience is a morning Goa-Trance epic with bursts of higher octane energy. Those into Afgin's style, the more heartfelt, elegant, and soulful morning-side of Goa (rather than the maximal, dark, and/or daringly wild and/or crazy psychedelic) will likely enjoy this release. It's quite relaxing, traveling compared to most Goa released today. While not every track is what I consider super, and my general preference in Goa tends to gravitate towards the more wild and edgy, psychedelic, the genre has has been lacking exactly what Afgin provides with this release: morning Goa. It may take numerous listens to appreciate all of the work put into the album. Elad's style was never to overload or fire ball the listener's consciousness. He works with emotions, the human heart. He designs uplifting, driving, and danceable rhythms (a la Astral Projection, Har-El) around euphoric, warm atmosphere. There is a loving energy to his music I find, that differentiates him from many pioneers in the electronic field today. That's not to say that more edgy Psy/Goa-Trance (Filteria, Merr0w) artists aren't passionate; Afgin simply resonates with peace (light symbolically). There are some great tracks here, though I feel the artist missed an opportunity to place an additional super song or two in the middle of the album like some of his inspirations have been known for doing; a track that is the must hear, "Oh my God that is amazing" number or two. Nevertheless, the album is a solid, relatively traveling, and tells a spiritual story from beginning to end. It's quite danceable too, and emotive. Furthermore, the last number shows that Afgin can create a mid-tempo Goa track better than most artists today. It would be cool if in the future the artist invested more zesty, unpredictable, aggressive, and adventurous work around the more ethereal, uptempo work. There's a part around 4:20 in the opening number that really showcases a more acid/psychedelic side of Afgin, and I'm sure listeners would love to hear more stuff like that. Moments like these are visceral, infectious, dynamic, and fun. I simply wish the album took more risks and broke out more, because the artist heart is filled with love for the genre; it clearly shows. All in all, those looking for an album more present on the sunrise, morning side of Goa will find a passionately crafted one here.

Favorite tracks: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8.

B+

Samples / Order

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd015.html

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7962

http://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD15/

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3130

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3130

faxinadu
Faxi Nadu / Elmooht

Started Topics :  282
Posted : Jun 6, 2009 22:56
very nice review, very nice album. heard him play it at a party the other day and got a copy of the album. this is an album focused on emotion, passion and spirit rather than twisted and mental. complete review once i give it a few proper listens.

The Way Back
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/album/the-way-back
joshtt

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jul 5, 2009 19:12
My favs are Journey Through Acid (a bit more aggressive, but not too) and Heavens Tears.
Heavens Tears is the best track of the album for me.
The reviewer is right when he says that the album would have been at a higher level if there was some more daring and unpredictable moments.
All in all a nice album.
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Aug 6, 2009 21:04
Wow
This is Psychedelia...Pure, Clean, Warm, Bliss.
The title track says it all.

Goa trance            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Afgin - Astral Experience (Suntrip Records, 2009)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance