First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

2010 - The best of Psytrance so far

PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Apr 18, 2010 17:45
my feeling is with all the music released to discover really good tracks you almost have to become a geek these days... or just stick with the labels/artists you enjoy and probably miss some good music.
this thread is welcome !
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Apr 18, 2010 20:55
Except Sensient's new album and some digital releases from Horns and Hoofs and Soundmute Recordings nothing interesting had been released so far....           www.myspace.com/tasos_notrea
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1101850147&ref=name
http://soundcloud.com/tasos_notrea/sets/marchmix2012_techno
consciousness
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Apr 18, 2010 22:13
VA - Freaks united
VA - Jupiter toadstool

daio

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 19, 2010 17:13
all zenon recs releases,quality and innovation...
also full face's debut "in every place"is awsome,realy impressed me!

Maine Coon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Apr 19, 2010 19:33
Quote:

On 2010-04-18 17:02, Zoolog wrote:
I don't understand why you claim that "Different Path" is not trance? It's clearly 4-4 structured and in the right BPM range.

It’s mostly just my subjective opinion, since I am no expert in the field.
It does not feel like trance music to me – even though it has (some) stretches of 4/4 kick going.

I’ll try to describe it more “objectively” too.
First of all, the kick stops and breaks, switches between 1-2 beats per bar to the regular 4/4, skips and stutters all the time. Even if it manages to go as the “standard” 4/4 for awhile, the overall rhythm of a track is constantly broken.
Second, regardless of what’s going on in the kick, the other instruments in a track are quite prominent and have constantly shifting accents and syncopated rhythm. They together create a very unstable and totally not trance-like impression. The bass lines are quite elaborate and funky, they would fit better in boogie-woogie than in trance. The leads (which often are trumpets or saxophones) play in a shifting, ragtime-like, fashion. It really sounds more like a crazy new sub-genre of jazz than trance.
Third, there is a constant joke going on. Every track is like a parody of other psy trance tracks and even of itself (especially if you pay attention to the voice samples). It’s hilarious but I have not noticed this trend in other sub-genres. (Although, I admit, I have not heard a great deal – there are only so many hours in a day)

All this made me believe that “Different Path” is a special beast altogether. We just call it psy trance either out of habit or based on some artificial criteria – just because it’s in the “right” BPM range and the kick sometimes plays in a 4/4 pattern. Everything I described is not meant as something negative – I really like this music and listen to it all the time.

Now, what I just described is not necessarily true of the whole sub-genre. “Squid Liquid” is not nearly as full of breaks and funky melodies. It’s still distinctive but it sounds like a distant cousin of darkpsy (hopefully, Ocelot won’t read this ). The kick is almost always 4/4 and is quite prominent, with not as many other parts creating syncopated rhythms. I like this album too. But, unlike “Different Path”, it’s undoubtedly in the psy trance territory.

If any of this offends you – just pretend I did not say anything: a couple of months ago I did not know Suomisaundi existed, 4-5 months ago I did not know what psy trance was. It’s just my dilettante opinion, that’s all.

P.S. Thanks for the PM – I almost missed your question without it

Maine Coon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Apr 19, 2010 19:35
On the topic at hand: I just listened to both installments of "Naturall Frequency". Is it my imagination or this year's issue is quite a bit darker than the first one?
kameleonpangea36
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Apr 20, 2010 05:52
Quote:

On 2010-03-17 15:53, Ah-sid wrote:

Va Magnus

do you mean

Va Magus...?           
label: www.pureperceptionrecords.org
design: www.designsbymattbryson.com
soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/kameleon-pangea
Zoolog
Zoolog

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 23, 2010 15:34
Quote:

On 2010-04-19 19:33, Maine Coon wrote:

If any of this offends you – just pretend I did not say anything: a couple of months ago I did not know Suomisaundi existed, 4-5 months ago I did not know what psy trance was. It’s just my dilettante opinion, that’s all.

P.S. Thanks for the PM – I almost missed your question without it

I'm not offended, but really happy about the answer, thanks!

Personally i believe this to be some sort of psychedelic trance, and i too enjoy it, but really, who cares about classifying music anyway - was just wondering how it came to be that we saw it differently. I listened to Suomi Trance for 10 years and therefore I more or less automatically "thinks" trance when I listen this album....           www.parvati-records.com
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : May 5, 2010 02:21
thoroughly enjoyed these so far :

va - montemapu festival
va - mutual reality free spirit 5
va - abstract vision
va - kartuxo
va - tokoloshe tales
va - gaia tek 3
va - iwasankai
va - universo parallelo 10
avalon - distant futures
sinerider - rewired
zyce - transgressive

www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
V3NOM
Inactive User

Started Topics :  131
Posted : May 5, 2010 09:02
Quote:

On 2010-04-18 22:13, consciousness wrote:
VA - Freaks united
VA - Jupiter toadstool

BTW I'm sure Sonik Scizzors & Psykovsky albums due out this year will also be up there if you want true tripped soundzzzz!

I hate you, you hate me, we are all so hap hap happy!
Ascension
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  170
Posted : May 5, 2010 19:46
New Avalon album.
New FFT album.           http://soundcloud.com/ascensionsound
www.chilluminati.org - Midwest based psytrance group
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : May 5, 2010 19:53
Geek Mythology comp by Cosmic Conspiracy
Sensient - The Space Between

ear candy           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : May 7, 2010 22:20
Artha - Fluoro Dolby

by far the best EP ive heard this year... and the album should be out anytime now - if you like your trance psychedelic as it gets and you liked twisted\the lone deranger - go to ektoplazm and download the EP
willsanquil
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  93
Posted : May 8, 2010 00:12
the artha album is out already, and its kick-ass.            If you want to make an apple pie from scratch...you must first invent the universe
www.soundcloud.com/tasp
www.soundcloud.com/kinematic-records
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : May 8, 2010 02:26
Updated my list with a few titles...
http://www.ektoplazm.com/essentials/2010/

Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - 2010 - The best of Psytrance so far
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page